5.0 out of 5 stars relevant , insightful and timely, 10 Sep 2007
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This is an extraordinary book, both in terms of its content and the form in which that content is delivered. It is the most readable, clear, and accessible account I know of concerning the relationship between childhood development and the psychological development in adulthood that therapy aims to encourage. In making bridges between the original attachment relationships in childhood and the new attachment in psychotherapy, Dr. Wallin brings in studies of neuroscience, trauma, and mindfulness. In so doing he clarifies how therapy actually works. I believe this is a book of enormous value for therapists, and those working in psychodynamic fields such as counsellors, drama therapists and staff development speicialists. Wallin discusses his work with patients in a self-revealing and thoughtful way that gives a sense of the complexity and challenge of the work of a therapist. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars helpful on so many levels, 16 Mar 2010
C. R. Crombie (Edinburgh UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
As a psychotherapist in private practice this book has given me a new lease of life. Its not as if I haven't read, studied, even taught attachment theory, but in the past year,with the combination of listening to Dan Siegel's CDsThe Neurobiology of "We" (Sounds True Aduio Learning Course) followed by reading Wallins wonderful book, something finally clicked in my brain and heart. It is becoming possible to learn in a different way, with the support of these incredibly valuable and generous resources, and therefore to understand some aspects of my own attachment history, with compassion and real emotional/mental shifts. I am beginning to bring a new spaciousness and deeper insights (particularly around my blind spots) into my work with clients....which makes my work more exciting for me and I hope is making a difference to my clients as well! I am constantly nagging my supervisees to read it and meanwhile I pick this book up frequently, often reading bits out loud to my partner... and it is now festooned with brightly coloured postits marking special paragraphs... so it resembles a sort of christmas tree. In fact the last time I was reading it I felt inspired to invite David Wallin to Scotland to teach, so .... watch this space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attachment in Psychotherapy, 16 April 2011
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I found this book informative and insightful and would recommend it to anyone working with clients who have early attachment issues. I thought that the author skillfully included his own personal experience as a psychotherapist over the last 20 - 30 years so that I gained insight from direct client experience. He also stressed the relationship of therapist and client and refers to that when tackling each of the varying difficulties of attachment pain.Attachment in Psychotherapy

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiration coming to London, 31 Mar 2010
Dilys Stinso "DAS" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I was so inspired by David Wallin's book, that I was determined to learn more from him. We are now arranging a lecture and study day/workshop to be given by David Wallin, to take place on the evening of 23rd July and Saturday 24th July. The lecture will be sponsored by The Cancer Counselling Trust, and will take place in Central London. Read the book, and you will definitely want to put these dates in your diary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and absorbing, 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
Detailed and insightful, yet easy to read, this is an informative and absorbing book. Useful for psychotherapists and anyone who wants to learn more about themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attachment in Psychotherapy, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This book is particularly useful as it describes the origins of attachment and covers how it' been researched across cultures. I like the way in which is includes somatic self and emotional self thus connecting physiology with attachment and it brings together mindfulness. As a psychotherapist I find this book readable and informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for all in the helping professions - or anyone!, 15 Jun 2013
Laura Merton "Lozzapug" (Monte Carlo) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This book is the best all-round exploration of attachment theory, its history and research base, with plenty of insights and examples to consider in clinical work. I have an MACP but this book taught me more about early behavioural patterns and where they come from than any textbook - also what to do about these patterns to help towards positive growth. There is also a great deal about mindfulness and body awareness, which is crucially important to remember for anyone either giving or receiving help.
Wallin writes lucidly and engagingly. He puts his information across like one who understands it in an integrated way, from his frontal lobes right down into his mitochondria! I can't recommend this book enough - lay people will also find it completely fascinating. This is one I will read again and again, with insight and gratitude each time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good text book, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This book is a good study on the development and practice of attachment and highlights the importance of child development in later life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
No psychotherapist should be without this book. One of the handful I've read over the years that really sent my psychotherapy practice in a better direction.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the Commited Psychotherapist, 29 Jun 2013
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
Good book for the Psychotherapist who wants to progress their understanding of the dynamics of what happens in the therapy space

Attachment in Psychotherapy
Attachment in Psychotherapy by David J. Wallin (Hardcover - 26 April 2007)
29.99