5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Doesn't require belief in religion or new-age stuff
I have started reading this and doing the exercises since I deleloped a degenerative neurological condition

Its a shame the title and content focus so much on depression - it could equally well be titled
"The Easy Way Through All The Crp That Life Throws At You"

This book requires no belief in cosmixc energy, healing crystals, karma,...
Published on 20 Oct. 2010 by oli

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm in two minds
Suffering with Anxiety, O.C.D and Depression for many years, grappling with anti-depressants, CBT and talk therapies I thought " right lets try the stay at home, relax and slowly help yourself" route. Safe to say I had severe and unrelenting depression at the time and any person who has been through it or seen a loved one go through it know that it takes a hell of alot of...
Published on 13 May 2009 by Cathy Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 421 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I think I needed, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD) (Paperback)
I bought the book & cd after watching the Ruby Wax tv thing on depression, where I became aware of the difference between grief and depression. I am only on week 3 of the 8 week course but I have already noticed small positive changes in my outlook, personal interactions and decision making. I would say that you do have to be prepared to set aside the best part of an hour every day, at the same time, if you are going to try this out - I set my alarm clock earlier and do the sessions on getting up. Don't be afraid of the yoga element, anyone can do the simple streches or adapt them to suit their abilities. I think I made a mistake in trying to read the whole book before using the cd, with hindsight it would be better to put on the cd when suggested in the text. If you can make space in your life for its practices I am confident this is going to be a great investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very important book, 11 Dec. 2011
This is not just a book, it is a course in mindfulness: i.e. it trains you to become 'aware' and conscious of your body sensations and the world around you and then to break the spiral of negative thoughts leading to physical tension leading to anxiety leading to negative thoughts leading to more stress etc.. It gives strategies which help you come out of automatic pilot - the 'doing' mode - and to spend more time and ultimately all our lives in the 'being' mode. Sounds quite deep but actually it is very simple and very, very effective.
Having suffered from increasingly severe bouts of depression throughout my life, I can vouch for the fact that this book offers THE best solution - it works! I read it and followed a mindfulness course online while I was in the middle of an episode of depression which is not really recommended. It is best to do it when you are between bouts because you are more likely to have the energy and commitment to follow the simple meditation practices. However, I still found that it really helped me to have something to build my day around and to hang on to during the black times.
Even if you do not suffer from depression, the strategies given in the book will help anyone to deal with life's stresses and strains with more equanimity and compassion.
Plus it is written by the leading research scientists in the field and there is a CD of meditations led by Jon Kabat-Zinn, who pioneered the mindfulness approach for preventing relapse into depression.
Highly, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A better response to mental pain, 24 Jan. 2010
This book has four authors, all of them leading professors in Psychotherapy or Medicine. But they write with one seamless, user-friendly, Sanjay Gupta-style voice. The three experts who gave us "Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression" are back. But this time Jon Kabat-Zinn joins the team, with his experience as both a professor of Medicine and a meditation instructor. And the new book is entirely addressed to ordinary people seeking help with depression, or just hoping for a happier mental life.

I like the tone. It's informal and insightful, comparing various people's experience of mental suffering. There are patterns in how the judgments start, and how the struggle to "make things better" tend to make things worse. The patterns become entrenched habits, waiting to channel any experience down well-worn paths. The authors suggest an alternative response, which involves exploring more than fixing. It involves observing what we feel rather than trying to correct it. The authors apply the practice of mindfulness meditation to the problem of inner suffering, which is just what meditation was always meant to do. Much of the book and it's enclosed CD is simply a well presented guide to greater mindfulness and enjoyment of the present moment. It's one of the best introductions meditation I've seen, but it's tied to meeting ordinary human needs rather than presuming a spiritual motive. I'd advise the book for almost anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for depression and general life stress, 20 April 2013
Ciara Bomford - See all my reviews
This is the best book I have read about depression, combining insights from cognitive behavioural therapy with practical tools from mindfulness based stress reduction. The meditation cd, by Jon kabat-zin, is brilliant, with really clear and reassuring guidance on how to meditate and manage thoughts and feelings mindfully. If you are prepared to do the eight week meditation programme, it could really change your life. It has certainly transformed my perspective on a stressful patch of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful for minor depression, 17 April 2011
This book and cd, (recommended by my NHS psychologist) is helping enormously. It is very clear and easy to read, and giving me daily pointers about getting back relaxation and changing thought patterns. It is effective (so far) in helping me to think in a better, clearer way, so that I'm not wasting energy ruminating as much. I'm already into basic meditation, but was struggling to get further- this process has reinforced my meditation and now (three weeks in)I'm definately improving, with less pain (chronic spine disease), lower blood pressure and genuine improvement in energy levels- I'm also laughing and smiling more. I'm grateful for the opportunity. If you're undecided, grab it, while you have the chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't recommend highly enough, 15 April 2013
If are feeling low or unhappy about your life, are anxious about the future or worried about what has happened in the past then I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
What if you aren't suffering from depression? - I feel the book covers a wide range of emotional experiences including low self esteem and can even help with anxiety issues. It looks at our tendencies as individuals to always focus upon the negative, how we end up self criticising and how, if we are prone to low mood and depression, this inner critic can take control, making us feel worse about ourselves.

It looks at how depression can impact on our sleeping habits, eating habits and can lead to persistent feelings of exhaustion and low level aches and pains. I also feel that anxiety and low self esteem can impact in similar ways affecting our desires to connect with our friends and the people close to us, affecting our feelings about going out and socialising and impacting upon our working lives.

The book comes with a simple premise - if we pay attention to the present moment, not looking back on the past or speculating about the future then the `cycle of unhappiness' can be broken. It sounds almost too good to be true - but the book teaches how it is possible to refocus attention on the here and now with simple instructions and explanations. I use the meditation CD often and it has made a big impact with people I have worked with who are suffering from anxiety, depression and low self esteem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful introduction to mindfulness, 25 Jan. 2012
N. Towers (North Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have read and re-read this book over the last couple of years and I have found it has helped me to cope with periods of anxiety. My doctor first recommended that I look into Jon Kabat-Zinn and his Mindfulness Based CBT. Unfortunately I could not find a course locally, but I found this book to be a good second best. It appears to cover everything on the course, allowing the reader to follow the same eight week programme. The included CD of guided meditations is also excellent. I highly recommend this book as a practical introduction to meditation and mindfulness, particularly for people suffering from stress, anxiety or depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars The mindfull way through depression, 4 Oct. 2009
Mr. P. J. Philliskirk (uk/sw) - See all my reviews
I have just read this book whilst attending an 8 week MCBT course.Having suffered from depression for nearly 40 years [im nearly 50 now] i can honestly say this method is effective from day one, you do need to practice the meditation excercises as well as reading the book, however the book give you a much better understanding of why we become depressed. I would recomend this book as the most important book i,ve ever read.It has quite literally changed my life.
If you want change, you,l have to make some changes.
Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only get one book on Depression. This is the one. No question., 2 Feb. 2015
Possibly the best book I have read to help with Depression. I believe both medication and a psychotherapeutic approach are essential having worked closely with those who have suffered this dreadfully disabling illness. Its the one book I advise my clients to buy. There is a statement early on in the book that says we must practice mindfulness as if our lives depend on it. I can say that when that is taken seriously we are all on a better path to being well and remain in recovery. Practice the ideas in the book daily and you most certainly will see results. I can't speak highly enough about this book. CPN/CBT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Learning Mindfulness, 22 Jan. 2010
To me, the book contains two basic ideas: firstly, Don't be inhibited by previous failure, and secondly, Learn to relax. However, it is written in a very friendly relaxing style - jut like the author talks. So if you are very stressed you may find this useful. And the points of i)not expecting that the present will turn out like the past, and ii) Learning an effective way to relax, are very useful lessons.

I found it frustrating at times, as I had to go back after most paragraphs to find the meaning which was dressed up in too many words, clearly not written in a style that gets to the point quickly - but maybe that's the point of the book, to take time and relax.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 421 | Next ›