5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Doesn't require belief in religion or new-age stuff
I have started reading this and doing the exercises since I deleloped a degenerative neurological condition

Its a shame the title and content focus so much on depression - it could equally well be titled
"The Easy Way Through All The Crp That Life Throws At You"

This book requires no belief in cosmixc energy, healing crystals, karma,...
Published on 20 Oct 2010 by oli

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm in two minds
Suffering with Anxiety, O.C.D and Depression for many years, grappling with anti-depressants, CBT and talk therapies I thought " right lets try the stay at home, relax and slowly help yourself" route. Safe to say I had severe and unrelenting depression at the time and any person who has been through it or seen a loved one go through it know that it takes a hell of alot of...
Published on 13 May 2009 by Cathy Jones

‹ Previous | 112 13 14 15 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Truth About Depression and How You Can Beat It, 19 Mar 2010
Ms. Laureen Toner (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD) (Paperback)
This book was written to help other people and the author gives great advice and you also get to see what she is going through as she is writing the book. It is really inspirational and you get to learn from experience from somebody who knows what it is like to suffer. Most of this author's books have been sold through Amazon.

The Truth About Depression and How You Can Beat It

2.0 out of 5 stars Really Hard Going, 27 Mar 2010
Ed (Tonbridge) - See all my reviews
My GP recommended this book to me so I was expecting it to be marvellous but it was so turgid that I found myself unable to do much more than skim the first few chapters. I am sure that the advice is all very sound and helpful but you have to wonder how many people with depression are going to struggle through this when their life is already a considerable uphill struggle.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 7 April 2009
marianne (cork, ireland) - See all my reviews
I found this book helpful in the way it explains why it is so hard to shift moods of depression and anxiety - how the mind becomes enslaved by old habits of brooding and introspection. There is a lot to take in and practice so it is a book that needs to be absorbed slowly and with a willingness to retrain and practice new thought patterns. I think it is extremely helpful when used alongside medication or therapy but by itself it would require a good deal of dedication to bring about a cure for moderate /severe depression. It has made me more aware of harmful thought patterns and I have definitely gained more understanding in how to free myself from these and in so doing bring about a better , healthier mental state.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book on mindfulness i have read so far, 25 Mar 2009
i have read many books and been practising mindfulness for some time and would have to say this book has been such a great help, masses of common sense,a wonderful mix of West meeting East ideology. Really helps to make sense of the mind and it`s workings, the mix of JKZ and some top shrinks makes for a better book on mindfulness than JKZ has ever written on his own and that says a lot as i am a big fan of his work. When you re-read some of the chapters whilst following the program i found the second time around even more helpful than the first time....hats off to all the authors,,,,take the word "depression" out of the title...this book can be applied to any mindstate,,it may not rectify your problems but it certainly teaches you how to face them better and understand them,which is half the battle,,i cannot think of anyone who wouldn`t benefit from reading a book like this,,,,destined to be a "self help" classic for years to come...

1.0 out of 5 stars the delivery makes this cd useless as a meditation tool, 3 Sep 2009
It is a pity that the verbal delivery in this cd is so poor - the guy talks extremely fast and does not give you the time to follow his instructions. Thus, although the instructions are excellent, I find I cannot really use the cd to meditate. He should read his text much more slowly, and give the listener time to absorb each instruction. This is a real pity.

4.0 out of 5 stars mindfulness, 7 April 2009
Tracey Anderson (new zealand) - See all my reviews
CD and book with heaps of information to learn to practice the art of mindfulness, helps keep rumination of thoughts one may have if depressed or anxious to a tolerable level, though would be helpful for anyone who finds there selves to be constantly unaware of things going on around them but to 'busy' thinking about past and future issues thus forgetting to live 'in the moment'.

3.0 out of 5 stars THE MINDFUL WAY THROUGH DEPRESSION, 11 April 2011
I HAVE READ SO MANY BOOKS ON DEPRESSION AND BIPOLAR AND QUIET HONESTLY THEY OFTEN MAKE FEEL WORSE THAN BEFORE I READ THEM!:),A GREAT BOOK THAT ALTHOUGH GO THROUGH TO MUCH STUDY RESERCH IN PLACES ITS CERTAINLY WOTH A READ,HAVENT USED THE CD YET WILL LET YOU KNOW ON THAT ONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic, 24 Sep 2008
R. MACKENZIE (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
Before I start I just have to say that this book is FANTASTIC and is a really exciting step forward in the treatment of depression. At last - a non-drug approach to one of societies most overwhelming problems: Depression.

As a person who has suffered from depression in the past and as a therapist, I truly enjoyed this book from start to finish. It told me all I needed to know about mindfulness and taught me the process in a very comprehensive yet easy to follow way.

I had read several books on mindfulness by various authors before receiving this book. Compared against the others that I read, I found this one to be the most clear, so even if you do not suffer from depression, but are looking to learn mindfulness, this book could be just what you are looking for. The other bonus with this title is that it is not repetitive like similar titles I have read - it just tells you what you need to know.

Some observations that I would make though are as follows.

1. There were a few spelling and grammar mistakes throughout, however they didn't affect my `reading flow', so this should be an issue.
2. The layout of the separate sections could have been better laid out. It shows you how to follow an 8 week program in the end of the last chapter. I would have liked to seen it laid out so that you read and practice a section at a time rather than learning everything before you start.
3. There is a warning in a couple of places in the book that warn you not to us the program in is entirely now if you are experiencing an episode of clinical depression. This somewhat confused me as the title of the book is `The Mindful Way THROUGH Depression.
4. The book comes with a CD... It was recorded using the voice of one of the authors, Jon Kabat Zinn. The meditation entitled `The Body Scan' seemed a little rushed. As a personal preference, I used an old CD that I had from Jon that was much better quality for me and worked well.

These were the only negative things that I picked up and wanted to include them to make this review as balanced as possible. There were so many things right with this book though that the comments above are small concerns against all the things that you will get out of reading it.

So in conclusion: this book is easy to follow, very inspirational and motivates you to learn mindfulness and overcome your depression. It is simply fantastic.

Warmly,

Richard MacKenzie
Author of Self-Change Hypnosis

5.0 out of 5 stars Book and CD in tiptop order and came in a couple of days., 15 Dec 2013
Very pleased with this book, it great and a constant source of help to me. I am very please with the condition of my purchase and the timely manner in which I received it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful and readable, 28 Jun 2013
As a counsellor I work with many people who experience repeated episodes of depression. This book does a good job of explaining why this may happen and how mindfulness can help reduce the risk of it happening again. It's clear, straightforward, not weird or patronising. The CD of guided meditations is pretty good although I can see that some might find JKZ's voice a little cloying, although of course that can form part of the practice. This book works well as a self help resource either instead of or alongside counselling or mindfulness classes.

Highly recommended.