I have started reading this and doing the exercises since I deleloped a degenerative neurological condition

Its a shame the title and content focus so much on depression - it could equally well be titled
"The Easy Way Through All The Crp That Life Throws At You"

This book requires no belief in cosmixc energy, healing crystals, karma,...
Published on 20 Oct. 2010 by oli

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm in two minds
Published on 13 May 2009 by Cathy Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read. Doesn't require belief in religion or new-age stuff, 20 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness (includes Guided Meditation Practices CD) (Paperback)

"The Easy Way Through All The Crp That Life Throws At You"

This book requires no belief in cosmixc energy, healing crystals, karma, re-incarnation, god or any other stuff that you may or may not believe in.

View it as a guide to thinking differently about problems and a set of exercises that help

I am a very 'down to earth' electrician and not interested in any new-age spiritual stuff (talk about energy flows and healing energy makes me ill!) or old style religion but I cannot rate this book highly enough as a means for learning an easier way through life.

I don't normally review anything or enthuse about stuff but this is exceptionally usefull

I hope this book helps you as much as it has helped me

Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars I see hope on the horizon, 12 Oct. 2012
Dippy Bird (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
I have lived with, battled with, sobbed over, etc., etc., depression for the majority of my adult life (now 50 something) and have read a wide variety of books/articles on the subject in an effort to find lasting help. This book is pretty much the first to offer real practical hope for handling and improving the never-ending mental somersaults that depression can draw you in to. More accurately, maybe, the book provides practical ways to shift your thought processes that can otherwise drag you down into a spiral of depression. All these years of thinking I was being intelligent and strong by trying to figure out and analyse my way out of some of the darkest times are shown (in The Mindful Way) to be the very approaches destined to drag me further and further down.

I am about two thirds of my way through reading the book and have not yet carried out the breathing, standing and body-scanning exercises that you are shown (both in writing and on the accompanying CD) but the whole tenor of the writing has lifted me to a level of hope. Having been once told by my GP (and I believe he meant in the kindest way) that there is no *cure* for what I have (what a cheery day that was!)I have been comforted by the new approach shown in The Mindful Way that, if not guaranteeing a cure, certainly shows that one can change the destructive patterns of thought that have become habit over many years.

Having known deep, dark, can't-function-and-if-I-could-wake-up-dead-that-would-be-just-fine depression and some of its slightly lighter levels as well, I would agree with the authors' recommendation that their exercises aren't carried out while one is in a deep depressive place. I know that I wouldn't have been able to concentrate sufficiently to make the practices "work" in those days.

I have found this to be a book where I could not only underline sentences with a 'tick' in the margin in agreement with what's been written, but there have been whole paragraphs and pages too. If it's possible to update one's review on Amazon I shall aim to come back in a few weeks' time and give an update once I have put in to practise the exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just be, 21 Jun. 2012
I have suffered from depression for over 20 years taking medication for most of them. I have tried other therapies including help from an NHS cognitive therapist.
This book and the CD has made the greatest of impacts. It has been a revelation to me. I would recommend it to anyone who has tried to think or reason their way through depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledgeable, well written and very well worth buying, 22 Sept. 2009
Stair "Stair" (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
Having suddenly found my high stress job and teenage youth had made me ill, I was unable to function effectively and was off work for a long time, physical pains in my chest, trips to A&E to check for heart problems, tears, panic attacks the whole thing.
GP suggested stress management option rather than pills and I agreed. Readers will probably know that there are a lot of "naff" self help books but this is not one of them - this is a well researched, well written manual by people who obviously know what they are talking / writing about. Simply knowing that there are classic symptomatic states of mind that you can identify with is a great help of itself - being taught well established techniques to deal with them is even better - especially when you find that they actually work and it is possible to get through.
The accompanying audio is very well worth persevering with and it has done me a world of good - I am far better now than I ever expected to be.
If you are in a mess and would like to know that you can help yourself to genuinely get better, this is a very good place to start - highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mindfulness made easy, with depth if you want it, 3 April 2010
This is a tricky book because it essentially tries to help you see and be in the world in a completely new way. A way that's more helpful for dealing with unhappiness. This way is 'mindfulness'; a sort of being in the moment, being more self-aware, being with your experiences as they unfold. While esoteric and impractical sounding, the book opens you up to mindfulness gradually via quotes, discussions and, most importantly, various exercises. These range from paying attention while eating to several different types of meditation and body awareness exercises.

My favorite is the 3 minute breathing exercise which neatly sums up much of the mindfulness practice. This included on the CD that comes with the book, so can be added to an i-pod and listened to for those emergency mindfulness boaster sessions if need be!

While the book can often frustratingly circle around the topic of mindfulness at times, its commitment to teaching via practical sessions must be commended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively simple., 26 July 2007
S. P. Harper (Cheltenham, UK.) - See all my reviews
I completed the 10 week course with the author Mark Williams and can confirm that he is an excellent role model for mindfulness. This book will become a classic in the way the 'green' book is becoming ( Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression ). Mindfulness techniques have been around for over 2000 years and whilst they can appear deceptively simple, the mind finds many ways to avoid doing them! The enclosed CD has 77 minutes of different practices. For anyone wanting to learn more about thoughts being just thoughts and how to develop new ways of responding to them and thus lifting the veil of depression, this book is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars It answers the questions, 24 July 2009
The book is an easy to follow read with exercises to complete throughout and the eight week full programme at the end of the book. I found this format informative as many questions which pop into your head are answered before you start to programme proper, therefore allowing you to get the full benefit. It reinforces throughout that this is not a 'miracle cure' but a process which can be built upon to gain a better understanding of depression and the associated symptoms. The authors are obviously experts in their fields, though they write in a non-jargon, non-academic way. I have investigated Mindfulness via other books, however this is the most informative and helpful. An excellent book for anyone who is/has suffered from depression, or for anyone who knows someone with depression.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long-awaited, 2 May 2010
There are so many books on depression on the market, but so few that are actually readable or any help. This one is excellent, informative without being patronising, and also offering one possible way out of that dark tunnel. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Jun. 2012
Plenty of self-help books make you read chapters and chapters of waffle before providing the same message as other self-help books. This book is different It is written by professionals and helps you to start tackling your problems within the first few chapters. In addition, the free cd with mp3 files containing meditations means you can start listening to them (and putting problems into perspective) from Day 1. The book has depression in its title but I feel it can be used for any emotional state where your mind gets caught in a pattern of thinking that needs changing. This includes anxiety, panic attacks and low self-esteem.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm in two minds, 13 May 2009
Cathy Jones "Wales Forever" (Crewe, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
Suffering with Anxiety, O.C.D and Depression for many years, grappling with anti-depressants, CBT and talk therapies I thought " right lets try the stay at home, relax and slowly help yourself" route. Safe to say I had severe and unrelenting depression at the time and any person who has been through it or seen a loved one go through it know that it takes a hell of alot of energy and stamina to do the simplest of tasks, so if you are really badly suffering please do not try this book, you will only sit there and dwell on the fact it is yet another goal you not reached or thing you couldn't preform.

It is just alittle to complicated to be able to work through when you are at an extreme low but....

When the storm clouds are more just dark clouds and have lifted abit more and you can see yourself doing a few more tasks take it up then.

It is a good book with interesting ideas, facts and a none simpering tone, more of a down to earth but sincere air to it.

It is great for trying to get your head into focus and to relax so when you are at a better stage to tackle it more give it a shot then. It is not for the extremely depressed there is just to much you really need to think out and consentrate on.