5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book; simple but profound
I bought this book after my daughter was caught up in a cyber-bullying incident with classmates.
How I wished I had read it with her earlier!
It seems that nowadays kids are getting meaner and meaner; a parent's advice of "just ignore it" really doesn't cut it anymore.
Published on 24 April 2012 by sueque

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Ok
Published 9 months ago by bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book; simple but profound, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Stand Up for Yourself & Your Friends: Dealing with Bullies and Bossiness, and Finding a Better Way (American Girl Library) (Paperback)
How I wished I had read it with her earlier!
This book takes "just ignore it" as a possible starting point and then illustrates and builds other strategies to help kids stand up for themselves while at the same time respecting others.
When I told my daughter to "stand up for herself", she thought I meant she should be mean right back to the boy who was bullying her.
It is not easy to explain how to stand up for yourself and others but not fall into the trap of rudeness and bullying yourself.
This book does a great job and gives many precise examples of things that kids can do and say in specific situations.
It is a small book but very much worth it's price.

5.0 out of 5 stars very nice and useful book for my 10 year old girl, 1 July 2011
I recommend this book for sensitive gilrs who need advice on how to handle relationships with their classmates and friends. I found it nice, well illustrated, simple and accessible. Very much to the point.

5.0 out of 5 stars invaluable tool., 7 July 2009
K. fitzgerald "kath fitz" (galway ireland) - See all my reviews
this book is so practical with its advice and has helped my daughter understand the difference between aggressive and assertive. it should be used in school because bullies can recognize themselves and children who are bullied or just standing by watching can see that they have options in most situations. brilliant book and would highly reccommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suited my 8 year old, 10 May 2014
My 8 year old sat and read this in one go. As an only child, she finds it a little difficult to stand up to some of the more bossy / confident girls in her class and this book reinforced some of the things I have already told her. The rest will come with time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, really reached my 10 year old daughter, 11 July 2013
I bought this book for my 10 year old daughter who is having trouble with a friend of hers. Her friend over the years has become very controlling which in a way has turned into bullying. This book has shown my daughter that bullies come in all shapes and sizes and that it is not ok to be treated the way she has been. I have told my daughter this but seeing it for herself and reading other experiences has hit home and empowered her. I heard her comments when reading the book, 'I'll have to try that' 'that sounds like what's happening to me'. This reached her when I think I didn't. Brilliant and easy to read, she read it in a couple of hours and refers back to it
Would highly recommend for both those who are being bullied and those who are bullies,

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading For Children of All Ages, 2 July 2014
My 10 yr old daughter thinks this book rocks and it speaks to those who bully as well as the victims. A good conversation starter for teachers to use in the classroom when addressing bullying or parents having to deal with the fallout from this problem

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book more designed for older girls but I found ..., 2 Oct. 2014
A good book more designed for older girls but I found it useful for my younger daughter too as it gave me some tips as a parent on what to help them say and do when dealing with the ups and downs of friendships. Knowing how to handle situations and standing up for yourself in a firm but nice way without shouting and crying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for girls experiencing problems!, 8 Jan. 2014
N. Singelee (Berkshire, U.K) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my daughter as she was experiencing problems at school, it is excellent as are all American Girl products! It had captions and information from other young gia who have had similar problems and so my daughter related to it better than an adult ( or myself) giving advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars stand up for your self, 21 April 2013
My little girl aged 9 says this book is great and it has really helped her with her confidence. It tells you what to say in difficult situations and is presented in a fun way with pictures and questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books for 8 to 10 year olds, 16 Nov. 2014
D. Kelly (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I've bought a few of these 'Smart Girl' books for my middle daughter aged 9. My eldest (11years) has read them too but agreed that whilst useful they are a bit young for her. Although these books are American don't let that put you off; they are not saccharine but gently straight talking with solid advice to help young girls think about and deal with everyday concerns. They are great for a girl to read alone, do the quizzes or to share together and open up discussion. This particular book focuses on getting along with everyone and tackling bullies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›