4.0 out of 5 stars My First Koontz Novel, definitely NOT my last !
Published on 24 Jun. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I read this book because it was recommended by a friend, I had heard good reviews about this author, and this book in particular. Sadly, the book didn't live up to my expectations. I felt that there was too much "Waffle", and not enough action. I hate to say it, but I just couldn't wait to get to the end of the book.
Published 3 months ago by nubentube

4.0 out of 5 stars My First Koontz Novel, definitely NOT my last !, 24 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
I had not, until now, considered reading a Dean Koontz novel, I've now realised what i've been missing out on. Watchers is more of a suspense thriller than a horror story, the book is very well written with both great characters, most significantly 'the dog' and plot. Although first published in 1987 Dean Koontz knowledge of technology and vision make this a book that hasn't dated with age. Koontz is an excellent story teller who isn't over descriptive as many authors sadly seem to be these days. The only problem I now have is which Koontz novel to read next.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I have Ever Read, 12 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Watchers (Library Binding)
Once you start this book you will not be able to put it down. I am a huge Koontz fan and have read all his books, but this is by far my favourite. I've read it more times than I can remember. The writing style keeps you on the edge of your seat and turning the pages to find out what is going to happen. He has a very clever knack of finishing a chapter in such a way that you have to read the next one to find out what is going to happen next, only he doesn't continue that section of the story in next chapter. You then have to keep reading this chapter so that you can get to the next one, but he leaves you another bit of suspense at the end of the chapter again, this style of writing just keeps the pages turning. Dean Koontz, in my opinion, is a far superior author to the likes of Stephen King and I can't stop recommending his books to everyone I meet who likes horror/thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 11 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
Excellent book
Anyone who is a fan of Dean Koontz this is a book that you should read
I guarantee you will enjoy it
Dean Koontz is my favourite author and by far the best
Believe me l have read a lot of thriller books over a period of many years
He is a great writer and l can only praise him

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I read this earlier?!, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
I have read a number of books by Dean Koontz, and for the most part enjoyed them all. Over the last few years a number of people have recommended Watchers to me, but for one reason or another I had never gotten round to reading it. My loss!!
This book is a tour de force! An utterly fantastic read with great plot and characterization. A story about two mutant creatures, one good and one evil, and the people whose lives cross their paths. At the end though, it is difficult not to feel sympathy for the rogue creature, as it too is a victim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book ever, 18 Aug. 2007
Donna Purcell (cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Mass Market Paperback)
I first read watchers when I was 14, as I got into my twenties I was still thinking about this book it really got my imagination going. I read the book 13 years later to find the book still had me hooked from the first page, I have never really been a reader as I need to get into the book from the start and Dean Doontz does that.I feel that the book seemed a little better when I read it 13 years ago,(your imagination goes wild as a child) but it's a really good read and the best that Dean has written
I must admit since I read it I am a Dean Koontz fan and can't get enough of his books.

I found that you even start to feel sorry for the outsider by the end of the book, It's like a game of cat and mouse and I love it. You will be well and truely hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koontz the "King" !, 20 Mar. 2001
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
I started Dean Koontz with Phantoms and Strangers.... I thought both were pretty good, but having been a Stephen King convert I knew I needed more than Koontz was offering.
I decided to give him one last go and bought Watchers about 8 years ago...... and couldn't put it down. I started as I went to bed, and continued until the very end just as the sun was about to rise for the following morning. My God, I was tired that next day at work - but strangely exhilarated as well ! This book has everything, forcing the reader to experience varying degrees of fear, love and excitement throughout the story, and is only rivalled in my opinion by King's IT at the apex of the horror/thriller genre.
This is a "must buy" for everybody - you'll regret it if you don't.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite, 11 Oct. 2006
Ms. Lucy Campbell "juicy1978" (Halesowen, West Mids) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
For any of you that haven't read Dean Koontz before I'm torn whether to recommend this as your first introduction to him. On the one hand there is no better way to enter the world of the genius Mr Koontz, on the other I LOVE this book and although he is a fabulous author, to me none of his other books quite matches up to it.

I am sure you have read information on the plot so I won't cover old ground. All the characters are great (especially Einstein), definitely not one dimensional and Konntz has you feeling incredible pity for the 'villain'.

In my opinion a beautifully crafted book that will keep you absolutely hooked from start to finish (do you get the hint I like it?!!)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a book! Brilliant!, 27 Jun. 2006
This is one of my favourite books ever. I hadn't heard of Koontz when I picked it up and didn't know what to expect. I was very pleasently surprised and was immediately drawn into the story. One thing I must point out however is that the blurb I read on my book is very different to the one i read in a book store the other day. The modern blurb tells you straight off what people who had read my version would have been guessing. I can't help but think that anyone who reads the current blurb won't enjoy the book as much as I did. The original blurb doesnt mention where the two main "characters" in the story have come from, or who they are. I certainly recommend anyone to read it, it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 8 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Watchers (Kindle Edition)
A great tale which will appeal to the child in you as well as the adult. This is the second time I have read Watchers, the first time was a number of years ago,. I never forgot it. If you are a warm human being neither will you. Read it :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 26 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Watchers (Paperback)
Having read (and own) more than 30 of Dean Koonst's books, this is one of my favourites. After reading it, I look at my labrador in a whole new light, and find myself giving him human attributes, which I am sure he does not possess. That is the power of Mr Koonst's magic. Even if you are not a horror fan , this book will appeal, as my mother (where others of his actually gave her nightmares),thoroughly enjoyed this book, and even recommends it to others. If you have read it and liked it, then read "The House of Thunder". This was the first of his books that I read, and it got me hooked. He is a genius, pure and simple.

Watchers (Brilliance Audio on Compact Disc)
Watchers (Brilliance Audio on Compact Disc) by Dean R. Koontz (Audio CD - Mar. 2004)
Used & New from: £10.81