5.0 out of 5 stars Best Training/Dog Book I've ever brought
Published on 16 Oct 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars could do without the new age stuff
I have my heart split on this book

On the one side, when the author talks dogs, and dog teaching techniques, you can see he clearly loves animals and has a kind and good aproach to the relation human-dog and how to build good behavoirs without violence.

Published on 13 Feb 2010 by Mr Fife

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Training/Dog Book I've ever brought, 16 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I buy a lot of dog books but this one is the BEST, actually I was looking indoors this morning for it because I'm going to give training tips to a puppy class tonight and I want to recommend this book. I first brought this book because I wanted to find non violent tips for training my two German Shepherds, this book was great I still refer to it. Its got tips from basic puppy/dog training right upto problem solving for the more difficult situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars The A-Z in non violent dog training., 31 July 2001
By A Customer
Paul Owen has put together a book that can help people who are interested in training their dog the non violent way. Whether you are new to training, or you have years of experience, you will find something in this book that will make a difference in your training.

3.0 out of 5 stars could do without the new age stuff, 13 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Dog Whisperer: The Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training (Paperback)
I have my heart split on this book

On the other side (and I really cant figure out the need) he abuses this usefull knowledge with the most absurd collection of extravagant un-scientific absurd theories Ive read in a while. The funniest one the "fact" that a new cactus without needles was evolved by wispering kindly to it every day "you dont need to protect yourself, Im here to do that for you". and thus, the cactus decided he could trust the human and grew defenceless???? How exactly would that fit in any scientific theory, let alone the religious ones??? Or when he tries to convince the reader humans are unique in giving healing properties to the food by a misterious force. Why no fill it with Jedi energy for a change, and be able to fly too?

it is a shame because when the author sticks to the dog parts, he can provide caring and loving guidance to teach a dog. when he then crosses the border and abuses that position to try and shove absurd un-provable wild ignorant theories, he makes a fool of himself and he mocks reason and knowledge. One thing is to hold those private beliefs and share them with a friend as a "over-the-beer hipothesis", and another is to force-fit them in a dog training book geared for a general audience as if they were factual, mixing them up with proper dog-training guidance.

thus I regret to bring down my general rating. I have no doubts the author is a kind man and a good dog trainer, I wish he hadnt fitted all this new age nonsense in what is otherwise a good manual.

3.0 out of 5 stars dog training, 14 May 2009
A. Tobyn (london) - See all my reviews
i was expecting something else, (cesar milan dog whisperer) this guy has totally different methods than the dominance traing that i have already been doing, its more treat related training, clicker training and so on.
a very good training book if you are training from scratch or if you are trying different methods with your dog, it give's basic commands as well as more complex ones. well worth the read even though it wasnt the book that i was expecting. it taught me a few things that i didnt know.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very differant approach to dog training, 17 April 2014
Only just started reading the book but I am impressed with its non violent approach it is very interesting to start to understand dog training from the dogs point of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dog Whisperer, 10 Jan 2014
Very interesting read for anyone with a young dog who wants to understand their dog and train with love not aggression.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super book., 1 Dec 2012
This book gives new and experienced dog owners all the answers and is easily read and understood. A great approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars To many whisperers, 24 Dec 2010
J. P. Evans (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
A truly excellent and easily understood book on understanding and training dogs. Very readable and with good illustrations it is easy to put the contents into practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog Whisperer: The compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training., 26 July 2014
I have been borrowing this book from the library, it is a very sensitive method of dog training and I like it a lot, many thanks - it is nice to have my own copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sep 2014
C. Anderson (Bridlington) - See all my reviews
Excellent item! 5* will buy again if needed!

The Dog Whisperer: The Compassionate, Nonviolent Approach to Dog Training