5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have!
Published on 21 Oct 2007 by Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars want a guilt trip?
Lots of snippets of facts (unfortunately index very poor if you want quick reference to some pointers)
Author is American so some sections are irrelevant and downright scary for a Brit, such as the section on choosing your paediatrician.
I found the humour mostly very cheesy, but I suppose thats a matter of personal choice.
I was already aware that breast...
Published 7 months ago by monkeynrabbit

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have!, 21 Oct 2007
This review is from: So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide (Paperback)
I loved this book so much I couldn't put it down. It is full of information and I would say it covers just about everything you would ever want to know. I am always going back to this book and going over chapters again when a new problem arises (as they do!) or I want an answer to a particular question. I actually believe this book has helped to keep me breastfeeding - especially because the author doesn't claim to be a so called expert and encountered problems herself and it has certainly made me stop and think when I feel like reaching for the formula tin. I'm glad I read this book and would happily recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I could not have managed without this book, 17 Jan 2008
This book is a lifesaver. The fantastic mixture of facts, advice and humour meant that I just couldn't put it down (used my free hand). I didn't manage to successfully breastfeed my first child (for various reasons) and was determined to do it for my second. This book gave me much more advice (and more useful advice) than any midwife or well meaning friend/relative plus it actually made me laugh out loud!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 21 Nov 2008
I knew nothing about breastfeeding before I bought this book and I read the reviews on here and thought it was the best book for me.

I found it very imformative and thoroughly enjoyed the writing stlye. The author made it easy to read and it was full of helpful hints and tips and some of them were not even about breastfeeding.

I didnt buy any other books on the market in this subject as I felt that this had everything that I needed. I have kept it even though I have stopped breastfeeding as I may want to refer back to it next time.

Definately recommend and its great value for money too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Oct 2008
K. Schneider (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This book contains EVERYTHING you might want to ever know about breastfeeding. It's written in a clear, easy to read way so it's not a chore to read.
It's main joy is how comprehensive it is. It goes through the benefits, how to do it, weaning, sleeping, just everything. I don't know how she fits it all into a normal sized book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 19 Jun 2014
Good book for breastfeeding however VERY pro-breastfeeding so much so that if for whatever reason you find you can't breast feed you will feel well and truly ashamed and a complete failure. It is written in an informal style but probably too many jokes and analogies. Good for reference if you dont take it to heart!

3.0 out of 5 stars want a guilt trip?, 21 Dec 2013
I was already aware that breast milk has exclusively unique benefits which cannot be mimicked, but beware;
Basically the Author is totally against use of formula feeding, virtually suggesting that its a form of poisoning, so don't pick this book up if you're having difficulties maintaining exclusive breastfeeding, and considering even the rarest of bottle feeds, unless what you're looking forward to having a major guilt trip.
Not healthy for you, or your little one if you're having a problem latching him/her on at 4am!
Depending on how breastfeeding is working out for you and little one, you will either find this book highly motivational, a big pat on the back, or a major contributor to the biggest guilt trip a tired, hormonal new mum can frankly do without. Not the fluffy, lighthearted easy read its marketed as.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are considering trying to breast feed buy this book, 16 May 2012
bought this book in 2009 after my first baby - it is fantastic, lots of useful advice from first days through to weaning & expressing milk, going back to work & toddler nursing (if that's your thing). It isn't preachy or attachment parenting & it isn't prescriptive like some breast feeding guides - loads better than La Leche or NCT guides. It's just useful & funny & wise & keeps you going when you're having a bad day. Highly recommended - kept us away from the formula milk anyway!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and interesting, 5 April 2012
J. H. Buckingham "JClo" (Rugby, UK) - See all my reviews
I was considering giving up on breastfeeding my second child, as was completely exhausted so I bought this book to keep my motivation going. I found it very educational, informative, funny and highly motivational. I would recommend it to any mum, or mum to be, who is intending to breastfeed or experiencing difficulties with maintaining it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, positive & interesting, 27 Oct 2010
S. Atkins (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A bit American & preachy at times but very useful from Chapter 5 onward. It is very amusing in places, but also full of useful information, tips & facts about breastfeeding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read - Has answered all my questions, 26 May 2009
This book is an easy read and has been able to answer all my questions so far on breastfeeding. Its a bit heavy on why breastfeeding is best for baby and it is very American but I have found it to be the best resource so far.

So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide