Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2011
An excellent and inspiring book. Beautifully written and full of insight and nuggets of wisdom and inspiration that can help us develop that all important relationship with 'oneself' - the most important relationship of all.

In a world where 1 in 2 marriages now end in divorce, and where more people live alone than ever before, 'Single' not only reminds the reader about the growing social norm of 'singledom' but also honestly discusses it's many advantages as well as it's challenges. 'Single' is a powerful polemic that reminds us that singledom is not only a natural part of the human condition, but, if we can just allow ourselves to see it, a stage in life that offers limitless opportunities for a more enriched and fulfilling human experience.

Irrespective of whether you are a happy and contented single, an unhappy single, are worried about being single, an anxious newly single - or whether you are gay, straight, have children or don't have children - 'Single' is a 'must read' and a potentially hugely powerful tool in helping us towards greater self-understanding.

Simon Franklin
London
England
on 12 February 2012
During the coldest months of the winter I found this book an absolute inspiration. I have lived alone for 15 years and although I have family and close friends, a job and a home to maintain - so am never bored - I still feel 'alone' . This book has taken me out of a rut and given me the impetus to think anew about my situation - to lighten up the lives of those I come into contact with and in so doing, make my own experience of life more meaningful. I wasn't too taken with the cover image, but the print caught my eye. My advice is to look beyond the cover and enjoy the advice inside.
on 18 October 2011
This book was very inspiring to me at a time of my life when I am looking for a new direction and experimenting a kind of loneliness.
Having been divorced for 10 years with two (now) teendaughters, I have been most of the time, but not always, single. Family duties, work and other single or divorced friends were filling up life pretty well. But at the time when my kids are almost out of the nest and I look back to consider that none of the relationships I had over 10 yrs were satisfying enough to last, I am facing a new sort of "aloneness".
Judy Ford is not trying to cheer anybody up by pretending that single is better (and not the other way around either) but she has a very sharp look at how to turn this single-experience into a positive one, whether it is meant to last or not. She helps push ourselves into finding what we want deep down and enjoy what life has to offer.
The book addresses issues both at a intimate level (who am I, what do I really want) and at a practical level (little changes I can make in the daily life to make it more enjoyable). It is a very supportive book, that does not only encourage to question and/or change outlook on life but also to act and make concrete steps forward.
The writing style is cheerful and easy to read, with lots of real life examples. That book definitely stays in my Kindle!
on 24 August 2014
Awful. This book is full of bland aphorisms which are questionable at the very least, some of which don't even make sense. When I read the author's suggestion that single people sleep around 'to make sure their equipment still works', I knew I was dealing with someone who is intellectually challenged (whose 'equipment' has ever stopped working through lack of use?) and whose moral compass is, in my view, in need of a serious overhaul. The view begs so many questions but its validity is just taken as read.

I could cite other examples about this poor offering - this is just the one that struck me the most.

It is also worth noting that this book is written specifically with women in mind so, chaps, you need to look elsewhere. Women should, too, unless they actively enjoy wasting time and money.
on 31 October 2015
I found this book very interesting. The author has had a tough life and shares her views on the ups and downs of being single. Anyone single will find this book comforting.
on 9 June 2014
Just the ticket for someone who has become unexpectedly single. Now no longer anxious about it but actually embracing and enjoying the new situation.
on 29 June 2014
great read! life lessons for those of us single AND taken
on 26 May 2016
Very helpful. Thank you.
on 14 October 2011
I dont actually think I finished this book. Was quite boring and not very inspiring. It was a while ago now, but know it didnt hold my attention for long.