5.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely book - the one we've been waiting for!
I'm an ICT teacher and a parent of young children.

I want my own kids and the kids I teach at school to learn to love Scratch and to feel enthusiastic about it.

This is the book that I have been waiting for - it LOOKS GORGEOUS, is a GREAT READ and INCLUDES A NICE RANGE OF DIFFERENT game types.

I'm pretty delighted with it but I would add a...
Published on 15 Sep 2012 by Mr. Hm Bennett

3.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS FOR THE OLD VERSION
Buy the other book which is designed for 2.0 as that will be more useful for those doing online access to scratch
Published 9 months ago by Simon Hampton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very lovely book - the one we've been waiting for!, 15 Sep 2012
Mr. Hm Bennett "howardbennett3" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Super Scratch Programming Adventure! (Covers Version 1.4): Learn to Program By Making Cool Games (Paperback)
I'm an ICT teacher and a parent of young children.

I'm pretty delighted with it but I would add a few words of caution:

It's expensive - few schools could afford a class set of these.

It is a bit prescriptive - draw this, press on this, add this control etc etc and could do with more explanation of what you are doing and why you are doing it.

But it is such a lovely book and the games are so appealing that I'm sure it would add that vital spark that moves you to find out more about the technical bits that make Scratch so powerful and so much fun.

A very recommended buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well paced and fun, 2 Dec 2012
I bought this for my 8 year old daughter who'd been showing some interest in programming. Scratch itself is really easy to install and once installed the book takes the reader through a set of really well structured tutorials. My daughter and I did the first chapter together, but after that she was off on her own.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 8 Oct 2013
As someone who does software for a living, I've tried a few ways to get my daughters (11 & 9) interested. Up to the point we got this book my efforts had been spectacularly unsuccessful.

My latest ploy involved buying a Raspberry Pi and this book. We "built a computer" together which they both really enjoyed. Younger daughter very taken by the ability to control tangible things with the Pi .

Elder daughter however has been buried in this book since it arrived. She's more than halfway through in 3 days: would be further except we've had to limit her time for sundry items like eating and sleeping!

It's wonderfully well-written: the style and tone are just right. The projects are manageable, fun and rewarding. Very, very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting into SCRATCH, 28 Mar 2013
Big John (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my Grandson who was strugling with how to program the Raspberry. He tells me that it has made understanding how the programming is done and this allowed him to expand hie knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars great good, 19 Nov 2012
My kids love it too, structure way of learning scratch, as an ICT teacher I would recommend it, buy it now

5.0 out of 5 stars 8 year old loves it, 19 Oct 2013
I bought this as a gift for my friends 8 year old. He loves it an has not put it down since he got it. He needs a little parental super vision, but after chapter 2 was petty self sufficient. Scratch can be downloaded for offline work or can be run directly on the website.

Anyone above about 13 would find it a bit too kiddy. I think 7-13 is about the right age range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coding for kids - genius, 9 Feb 2013
Get this now! Scratch is great fun for adults and kids alike and this book shows you all the features in easy to read steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 Jan 2013
Bought as present. Giftees immediately competing to see who could produce best programs on Scratch. Serves as a contextual background in which imagination can take the next steps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to Scratch, 24 Jan 2013
A. Batey (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
Bought this thinking I would read it and do some of the activities in preparation for working on Scratch with my 9 year old son, he got the book and I never got it back. He has worked through most of the book and has started adapting the games to add in his own ideas.

It is quite simply the "got to have" book for 8 year old upwards budding programmers.

The style is just right for a child to take it away and work through themselves - and come back knowing more than their geek dad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 14 Oct 2012
V. Berlin (London) - See all my reviews
This is an exciting book -- glossy, colourful, and clear instructions that children can easily understand. My son was so psyched that he gasped at the different chapters and I had to stop him from doing it all at once. It's expensive compared to the books we normally by, but worth every penny. More please!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›