5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the Linux command line
Published 21 months ago by L. Pilfold

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable introduction if your completely new to the command line.
I'm a big fan of command line interfaces; they may be more difficult to work out than WIMP interfaces but they are considerably more powerful. However I'm not such a fan of The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction. Yes it's a pretty reasonable introduction to the command line interface but I found enough irritations in it to put me off. Let's start off on a...
Published on 15 Feb 2012 by renaissance geek

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to the Linux command line, 28 Mar 2013
L. Pilfold - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction (Paperback)
With this book I've gone from being a complete newbie to feeling like I have a decent understanding of the command line. While I'm not an expert and can't tell you if any areas are being neglected it does seem to cover a good range of topics and it does teach all the skills I was looking to learn. The writing style is enjoyable and not too technical and there are lots of useful practical examples for the various commands introduced which help a lot in understanding how to use them.

I would definately recommend this book to anyone interested in learning to use the Linux terminal.

By the way- the book is also available in PDF form on the authors website. Google the name of the book and you'll find it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A ver good introduction to the Linux Command Line for the rest of us., 15 April 2012
C. Smith "chris0161" (Manchester, UK.) - See all my reviews
I've been a Linux user for over 10 years and read a good few Linux books. The reason I like this book so much is that it is written kind of like a novel rather than a reference book. It starts with the very basics and slowly builds until the end where you begin to write shell scripts. I also like the authors style which is more conversational. If you are used to reading traditional computer text books you may find you don't like the style as this is defiantly NOT a pure reference book or a technical manual. However this is the first Linux book I have read from cover to cover and keep going back to. Dare I say the first one I enjoyed reading! Well worth the money and the five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-written, comprehensive guide, 17 May 2012
The command line is a powerful tool that experienced computer users will really benefit from learning. When I first started using Linux about ten years ago, it was difficult to avoid the command line. It seemed like a chore at first, but after learning only a few commands, I found it to be a satisfying and efficient way of getting things done. This book provides a nice, usable introduction to the ins and outs of the Linux command line, along with an extensive survey of command line tools and their uses. The style is somewhere inbetween a reference book and a hands-on guide - the writing is friendly and interesting, but concise, and a lot of ground is covered. Solid examples are given for all of the common tools, along with a number of more obscure ones.

A real strength of The Linux Command Line is its task-based approach. Related commands are grouped together, with the discussion flowing logically from the simpler aspects of a task through to what can be achieved with the more advanced tools on offer. This guarantees that there will be something in every chapter for both beginners and more advanced readers alike. Indeed, the grouping of common commands with less well-known ones in each chapter means that there's lots of potential for discovering neat new tricks. A number of key commands are treated in a careful, detailed manner, which serves to equip the reader with some very powerful tools. I especially appreciated the extended sections on commands like find and sed, and thorough discussions of concepts like redirection and expansion. These had always seemed like something of a mystery to me, but now I know how they work, I use them all of the time! There is also a large section on shell scripting, covering over a quarter of the book, and chapters on essentials like basic system administration, text processing, and regular expressions.

I have only two real criticisms. The first is that a few important commands are glossed over more than I would have liked. The need to skim over some topics is understandable, given the wide scope of the book, but it can still be a little disappointing. For example, SSH is an extremely important tool for system administrators, but it only has a couple of pages worth of discussion, which is barely enough to scratch the surface. More detail on complex tools such as this would be welcome, perhaps at the expense of some of the less immediately-useful material in the lengthy shell scripting guide. My second complaint is that a few chapters are rather distribution-specific, choosing to specialise to popular distros like Debian and Red Hat. While it's unrealistic to expect every Linux distro to be covered, it would have been nice to see a slightly broader listing of distro-specific command line installation tools, for example. Happily, this criticism only applies to a handful of chapters, and the vast majority of the material is fully distro-independent.

All in all, The Linux Command Line will serve as a useful reference/guide for those interested in taking control of their computer with the command line. It covers a wide range of topics, but avoids being dry, list-y, or superficial for the most part, and should be suitable for beginners and intermediates alike. Whether you are interested in learning the command line from scratch, or simply want to improve your existing skills, this book will provide pretty much everything you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginers, 6 Nov 2012
As a guy who wanted to start learning about linux and its command line, I have to say that this book met all my expectations. It covers a large number of topics and does so in a very inviting, interesting way. I especially enjoy the bits where author explains the way unix-like systems operated in the past which led to specific ways in which the shell works today - this gave me a better understanding of the matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confidence to tinker, 24 Aug 2013
Nick Canham (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
I'm the sort of person who likes to take things apart and put them back together, and my recent purchase of a Raspberry Pi has encouraged me to delve deeper into how Linux works. This book has certainly given me the confidence to do so. The book is well-written, with the author managing to tread perfectly the line between solid technical writing and sufficient light-heartedness to make the book entertaining. No mean feat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a magical charm for the command line., 7 Sep 2014
Yay!! (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
So why is the book so good?
The book is very practical - you learn through "doing".

For instance ^ normally acts as an anchor to say "search for matching items from the start of the line".
However the ^ inside a bracket means something totally different.. it "negates" the command. DUH!! Quite a difference there then!

Next is the [RANGE] command. So if you search for [A-Z] or [A-z], the second command will not find a little a, if you're in "Locale" mode. We expect locales to work like ASCII works A-Z and a-z...
BUT the locale mode works on aAbB. Now [A-Z] will miss the starting baby a... as A is the second letter, not the baby a which is first. So asking it to find [A-Z] means you're starting the search from the SECOND letter, and it can never locate a little a... Well, that might mess up your results.

You'll find yourself reading and rereading each section, as you don't want to miss anything.

I don't think there's a command line book on the market to rival this book. It's stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars A conversation on Linux, 5 Mar 2014
I have used Linux for the last couple of years. I have googled and grappled my way around the subject. Reading this book filled in the background, it put all the pieces together and has touched subjects that I previously thought were beyond me, such as Environments, bashrc and scripting. Very happy to have my game raised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great overall book, 18 Feb 2014
Mr D Devlin (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This book is perfect for beginners like myself. It starts with the most basic commands and then moves on to more powerful and interesting concepts. A great overall book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction, 13 Feb 2014
New to Linux? Taking the plunge? Buy this book you will not regret it. Excellent introduction in plain English! Which gently introduces you to the command line and gradually builds up your confidence. I have read quite alot of books on Linux and the usual beginners books and manuals drone on and miss the point that the intended audience have zero Linux experience.
The author has done a fantastic job I especially enjoyed the chapter on BASH scripting finally a resource that explains it in plain English.

Please make future editions and add new stuff I'm sold :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction, 24 Mar 2013
This book is excellent for someone who needs to understand Linus commands from the start. I went through most of the book and still find i have to go back to look upsome realy good tips. I am just a starter who needs to know. i would highly recommend this as a very good start...... Dont forget this book is also available on the Internet.......I use that site also... so i dont have to carry the book..... Excellent.

The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction by William E. Shotts Jr. (Paperback - 17 Jan 2012)