5.0 out of 5 stars Great tutorial booK!!!!!
the best tutorial book on inkscape which i've ever had, many details explanation, practical shortcut using in concrete situations, very good pedagogical approach
Published on 16 April 2010 by Katarzyna Boron

3.0 out of 5 stars good as reference, but not for tutorial
Published on 2 Sep 2010 by CS Ang

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tutorial booK!!!!!, 16 April 2010
Katarzyna Boron "cax" (suisee) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book of Inkscape: The Definitive Guide to the Free Graphics Editor (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars good as reference, but not for tutorial, 2 Sep 2010
CS Ang "bbq" (London) - See all my reviews
I guess the book is good for what it is, a reference. If you are hoping to learn Inkscape by doing, there are 6 tutorials which are not really well explained. It is a book meant to be read from cover to cover. Most parts of the book explain various functions of Inkscape. Very dull if you use it as a tutorial book. However, given the lack of Inkscape books, this one is the only good choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Inkscape reference, 17 Feb 2010
Mr. R. Mcmanus (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
This is a really thorough book.

I am not a graphic designer and have found Illustrator impossible in the past. I needed to produce a label urgently and was getting nowhere. So, a week ago I picked up this book for the first time. I read it from cover to cover (skipping a few technical bits - this book covers everything) and after 5 days set out to draw the label, with the book next to me. I re-drew the company's logo, set out the label, added the text and had the label finished after about 8 hours. There were times I got stuck but the reference of this book got me through everything. I am learning more details every day. I redrew the label to a larger size in a matter of minutes.

My next challenge was getting the label printed. I converted the text to paths and saved it as a pdf (that saves the printers having my fonts) and the printers can open it in Illustrator and print it perfectly.

I have Inkscape installed on Ubuntu (Linux) on a computer I built myself. This really makes Open Source the future for me and my company. This book reflects the commitment of an entire community to make superb software supported by brilliant documentation.

An excellent book. Don't use Inkscape without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for an excellent piece of software, 20 Feb 2011
I used to use Corel Draw, but buying a new computer made me reassess the software I use. Inkscape is powerful and free, and uses an open file format. With previous experience of similar programs, you can do quite a lot intuitively in Inkscape, but there are obviously differences and new ways of working to learn. This book is suitable for those with experience and those making a start with illustration software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finding out about Inkscape, 1 Mar 2011
I first came across Inkscape only a few weeks ago. I wanted a book that would help a beginner like myself and though this book is perhaps not quite what I had envisaged I am nevertheless very pleased with it. I have had to sit down and read it quite thoroughly and the book is written in such a way that it is very easy to follow and very logical in the way it takes one through the different processes.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great highly detailed reference, 30 May 2014
Ozzymandias (Mistworld) - See all my reviews
Inkscape is a very powerful drawing package, however it does not have the most intuitive interface. This book is a great manual and reference for everything you would like to do in Inkscape an much more.

I bought the kindle version and my one complaint is that you cannot view kindle books on Linux - the operating system that Inkscape was originally built for - unless you are online. Can anyone say irony? You can read it on android which is ... Linux derived! Sort it out Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use Inkscape?... then you need this book!, 31 Aug 2013
No Starch Press produce some of the best reference books for Free Libre Open Source Software (FLOSS) applications available, and 'The Book of Inkscape' is no exception. The book guides you through the essential elements of Inkscape in a hands-on way which gives you plenty of those "I didn't know you could do that!" moments... in fact you often find that you've abandoned the book for an hour or two while you play around with what you've just learned!

Besides providing a great introduction to the software - and offering some tutorials to get you started - this is a great reference book to have to hand while you're working... and I *mean* working. I offer an affordable design service to local charities and start-up businesses and although I have access to both Illustrator and CorelDraw I've found myself using Inkscape 90% of the time. What's more with HTML5's SVG capabilities web designer's will find Inkscape's XML Editor (which I was introduced to via this book) really useful.

All in all, probably the best book currently available for this increasingly important piece of software.

4.0 out of 5 stars Newbie, 26 Aug 2013
I Have used inkscape for some detailed work and this book is useful and quite clear. Hopefully get more time to play with inkscape and more of the features

4.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Inkscape - The Definitive Guide to the Free Graphics Editor, 23 May 2013
This book is for the dedicated Graphic Designer and describes the capabilities of this programme in the hands of a dedicated
graphic person. There are a number of ways to illustrate and isometric projection being one I am often drawn too.
The book is laid out very well with its illustrations. There are many examples of what can be achieved - even down to designing a basic card to introduce one's self or designing a web site. Anyone who likes working in the design sector will like the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great find, 4 Jan 2013
Getting good information about Inkscape was difficult but this book covers all the ground in an easy to read format

The Book of Inkscape: The Definitive Guide to the Free Graphics Editor