5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have a hard copy of one of my favourite web comics
In some ways this is a very quick review - go to the perry bible fellowship website and if you enjoy the strips I highly recommend buying the book and if you don't like them, don't buy it. That doesn't do the book much justice though...

Published on 7 Jan 2008 by Johnmcl7

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New
I bought this book thinking I might get a book full of things that might not be on the website. Instead of paid for a book full of comics which are available online. Theres a few new things, but not enough to warrant buying it.

Save yourself a few pennies and just go on the website.
Published on 11 Sep 2008 by M. Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to have a hard copy of one of my favourite web comics, 7 Jan 2008
Johnmcl7 "John" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Perry Bible Fellowship: Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories (Hardcover)

I'm not sure how other people have come across the Perry Bible Fellowship, I noticed these strange cartoons in various different signatures across the internet and decided to finally find out where they were coming from. I landed on a goldmine when I found the website with its weekly updates, the comics are usually rather strange and often set in completely bizarre universes rarely connected to each other. Most of them I find hilarious and even though I've read through each of the strips on the site many times they still make me laugh. I also enjoy the fact that the comics have very little do with anything in the real world, no political commentary, no connections to headlines just something quite different.

As for the book itself, as another reviewer has pointed out you're essentially getting a hard copy of most of the strips on the website so you do know exactly what you're getting. If you read through the strips on the site and never go back to them then this book is probably not going to be worth the money. Personally as I enjoy reading through the strips from time to time, I'm pleased with the book. The hardcover gives it a quality feel and the print quality is excellent, the web versions of the comics look detailed but on paper I appreciate the effort moreso that has gone into creating them.

An easy five stars for me and I'm pleased to be able to pick this up in the UK (thought I was going to have to order it from the US), I've already read through the entire book as soon as it arrived as has my brother and I plan to read through it many more times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and hilarious, 10 Dec 2007
Mikko Saari (Tampere, Finland) - See all my reviews
The Perry Bible Fellowship has long been one of my favourite online comics. The author has a brilliantly twisted sense of humour and a good sense of style. PBF is PBF, even though the illustrations vary a lot between strips, as Gurewitch experiments with different styles and techniques.

This book compiles almost hundred pages worth of strips: not all of them, but most. Few of my personal favourites are missing, yet I'm quite satisfied with the collection. There's some material that's previously unpublished, but it's nothing really interesting. So, if you've already read everything that's on the web site and don't want to buy stuff you've already read, this book offers very little. However, I'm rather glad to have it on my bookshelves.

If you've never heard of Perry Bible Fellowship, I envy you: you have a world of sickly sweet pleasure to explore. Check the web site or buy the book: whichever you do, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over The Far Side...welcome to The Dark Side!, 17 Nov 2007
Dr. George L. Sik (Epsom, Surrey) - See all my reviews
In Gary Larson's The Prehistory of the Far Side, he revealed some cartoons that had never been syndicated or had received loads and loads of complaints. Things have moved on a bit since then, I can tell you!

The Perry Bible Fellowship (no idea what that means) is sick, dark and twisted...but also hilarious. If The League of Gentlemen were available in comic strip form, it might well resemble this: Willy Wonka is running an abattoir, rather than a chocolate factory; 'Will you marry me?' is spelled out using the bodies of aircrash victims; a camera inside a Tunnel of Love provides filthy souvenir snaps...and that's just a taste.

If you like your humour pitch-black and get impatient between its weekly appearances in The Guardian, this collection is just for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted and beautiful, like satanic candy, 4 Aug 2008
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For a long time I have taken refuge on the Perry Bible Fellowship website whilst at work. When the daily grind is getting too much it is rather comforting to be able to disappear into a very different world where moon faced cartoon people do quite strange things.

The quality of illustration is widely varied and extremely good. Gurewitch is not only in possession of an extremely active and exciting sense of humour but his ability with the pen/pencil/paint-pot is superb. It really adds to the comic effect when you can tell that the creator has taken a lot of time to produce these strips.

If you want something a little different as an occassional coffee table book that you can dip into for a good laugh, and if your humour is a little more twisted than the conventional, then this is something you will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 24 April 2008
L. Luka (Latvia) - See all my reviews
I've never been a fan of comics, but I can read this book again and again. These strips are absolutely fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Sep 2010
This is the funniest thing I've ever read. You can get the content for free from the website, but nice to have in book form to lend to someone you think might also enjoy it. Something I'll forget about, then rediscover in years to come, and laugh all over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book to introduce PBF to non-webby types, 5 July 2010
If you've yet to discover the Perry Bible Fellowship website then this book is a great introduction to some of Gurewitch's best (and sickest) cartoons. Something of an internet legend, it's dark humour but uproariously funny. I still send the "It's your birthday" image to people by email every year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiffing, 23 Jan 2008
Absolutely.

Buy it or feel foolish for the rest of your life.

Lots of PBF comic strips in paper form that can be stroked and patted until you're sick.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nothing New, 11 Sep 2008
M. Ward (Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews

Save yourself a few pennies and just go on the website.

The Perry Bible Fellowship: Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories
The Perry Bible Fellowship: Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories by Nicholas Gurewitch (Hardcover - 6 Nov 2007)
Used & New from: £17.76