5.0 out of 5 stars Must read
The Long Way Home collects the first 5 issues of the new series of Buffy comics, continuing where the television series ended. If you're a Buffy fan that misses the show but you think comic books are silly: still buy this anyway. It's not expensive and if you don't like it you don't need to buy the next one, but chances are you'll be converted.

The individual...
Published on 20 Nov 2007 by T DAR

3.0 out of 5 stars Not disastrous, but a little disappointing.
Published on 2 Jan 2008 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not disastrous, but a little disappointing., 2 Jan 2008
This review is from: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Volume 1: Long Way Home (Paperback)
Whilst I'm happy to see the revival of one of my all time favourite TV shows in any form, I'm afraid I can't wholly endorse this comic book incarnation. One of the strengths of the original series was that it rarely ventured outside the small town of Sunnydale, which put an intense focus on the extraordinary events it depicted and provided an intimate setting for us to get to know, identify with and care for the central characters.

The broadening of the franchise onto a world stage with multiple slayers may make for some spectacular "episodes", but it also sheds a good deal of its old warmth and shifts it into more conventional superhero territory, to the extent that at one point Willow literally flies in to the action. The old meeting places in the high school library, the magic shop and the Summers residence have been supplanted by a high tech headquarters replete with giant TV screens and movie style military trappings, and for me it is a far from satisfying substitute. It's as if Buffy has set up her own version of the Initiative.

Maybe Joss Whedon's long term plan has to do with Buffy and the Scoobies breaking loose from the unwieldy monster of an organisation they've created and finding places to belong elsewhere, as the subtitle Long Way Home implies. I certainly hope so, but at the moment it's too early to tell for sure and for me this has been a faltering start to the journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, 20 Nov 2007
T DAR - See all my reviews

The individual comics that you won't find on Amazon are released on a monthly schedule. Issue 10 is coming in January 2008 and the series is currently planned to run a few more years. Joss Whedon is back writing the characters he created, along with several of his trusted writer friends. Issues keep selling out and going back to print - it's that good.

Ok, story. The TV show ended with the collapse of Sunnydale and several hundred girls around the world receiving slayer-strength. We now join the Buffy gang at their new base of operations in Scotland, which is also home to many of the newly activated slayers. They saved the world but there are still demons out there, and not every slayer is on the side of good. Worse, an army is after Buffy, seeing her as the leader of a terrorist group. Is she ready to fight human beings?

5.0 out of 5 stars Buffy...but on a whole new level, 28 May 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This comic collection contains the first five comics of Buffy season 8. For all Buffy fans who wanted to know what happened after the dramatic season 7 TV finale, this is a must read!

I know that some Buffy fans have had a hard time making the transition from TV series to comic, but honestly I can tell you that it is worth taking the time to get in to it. You just have to remember a few things. If Joss wanted to just continue with the TV series, he probably could have. It's not like with Angel where it got cancelled, Buffy the TV series had a natural, brilliant ending. The idea of the comic, as far as I can see, is to take Buffy to new places.

I think it does that quite nicely. The opening line of the comic sets the tone pretty well... "The thing about changing the world...once you've done it, everthing's different". Well, I'm paraphrasing, but that's about this. In this season, Buffy and the gang are dealing with the fact that there are now tonnes of slayers, and not everyone is using their powers for good. Plus, they seem to have attracted the not-so-friendly attention of some powerful enemies.

The reader is thrown straight into the action, and there are some slightly confusing cut scenes, but you soon find out that Buffy is working personally with about 500 slayers at a castle in Scotland, Dawn is a giant (!), Xander is getting his military-guy/ watcher mojo on and various other favourite faces (Willow, Giles) are off and about doing different things. Clearly a lot of things have happened since the last season. There's a visit from some old and rather gross enemies (not so sure about one particular ressurection as it seems to go against quite a lot of the plot that was built up in season 7, but I'll let it slide - this is comic territory, and in these things plot twists are expected!). We also get to know rather vaguely about a new enemy...Twilight.

One of the best things about Buffy season 8 is the dialogue. It's spot on BtVS, and when I read it I can hear the characters saying it in my head! The comic is also well drawn. At the start of each "episode" there is a more realistic picture (not so cartoonish, more real-life), and some of these are really beautiful. You can see that a lot of work has gone into it, and the Buffy cast should be very happy that someone has immortalised them rather stunningly in ink.

Overall, I would say that occasional bits in the plot make me raise an eyebrow. I think that if they had happened in a TV version I might have been annoyed, but because this is a new medium I feel more open to it. For me, season 7 was the perfect end for the TV format and now I am enjoying this new incarnation of Buffy and her friends. If this first volume is anything to go by, there's a lot of great things in store.

5.0 out of 5 stars A review for Angel fans undecided on buying more Buffy, 28 July 2009
Andromeda Descendent (Tarn Vedra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Despite having watched every episode of BTVS, I was always more of a fan of Angel, and so took a long time to get round to giving this first volume of Buffy Season Eight a try. What changed my mind was that one day I found about the official season six of Angel - After The Fall - and found out just how much better an experience "official cannon" was. BTVS8 is a bit lighter in tone than ATF, which you'd expect as being reflective of the differences between the two shows, but it translates to "comics" well.

If you're initially hesitant like I was, I can perhaps see why. Angel: After The Fall: After the Fall: After the Fall v. 1 (Angel (IDW Publishing)) was an essential purchase as the story arc of Angel was cut off by its cancellation and the opportunity to see it officially concluded was too good for fans to miss. By contrast, Buffy ended naturally - and as all Buffyverse fans know, you can't bring something back from a natural death and it still be quite right. Well that's what you might assume, and I did too until I read this first volume. It's different certainly, but it allows the writers to a lot of new things. The most important thing they have to do, of course, is start off on a new story arc. I've read one volume out of the four I've just bought, so I can only comment on the first one, but I think it's going at a reasonable pace. It's too early for the "villain of the year" to appear yet in anything other than name - "Twilight" - but finding out what happened to the main (and a few minor) characters in the intervening year or so since the destruction of Sunnydale, and where they are now, was a lot of fun.

So it's not a direct continuation, and that seems to work better than if it had just continued normally. Buffy is as great as ever, and both she and Willow are drawn as attractively as the actresses. Xander is now Watcher to the main cell of Slayers at mission command in Scotland, Dawn is a giant (for some reason yet to be explained) and there are three Buffys (well, not really - two of them are decoys). There is no crossover with Angel the series as such, but the revelation that the Buffy partying in Rome and dating The Immortal was a decoy is a real present for fans, as it casts a whole new light on the Angel episode The Girl In Question (an episode many fans hated) and effectively puts right a wrong that was done to fans of both series in that episode. The revelation that when Angel and Spike came all that way to fight over Buffy, only actually seeing her from behind (in cast terms it wasn't even Sarah playing her), and it turns out not to have been Buffy at all - and that Andrew knew that and pulled one over on them - gave me such a laugh.

Any downsides? Well, amusing as it is for half a second to see the %@#! way of showing swearing, you might as well go the other route and say "frikking". Some people might be annoyed a bit to see minor characters that were never that popular given centre stage (me, I didn't mind it). And some people may complain that the story arc isn't that tight yet.

It's a long term investment, season eight as you can enjoy volume one on its own but you're not going to have closure presumably until the end of what's going to be several volumes. If you want to give one of the volumes a try, it's always best to start with the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY good, 14 May 2008
M. Blair (Derry, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
I loved the tv show of buffy (and angel) and i was really looking forward to getting this, when i did I was really impressed with it! Its a lot better than the other buffy comics (that for some strange reason made vampires green and furry... and sometimes have wings) and I'm really looking forward to getting "No future for you"

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent follow up to the show!, 29 Feb 2008
Mr. M. Sherfield "Charmer" (Berkhamsted) - See all my reviews
I've just finished reading the Buffy Season 8 comic. It's the first one of these I've read and was very impressed. My main reason for reading is was I was due to meet the artist, Georges Jenty (very nice guy indeed).

Anyhow, I saw some of the other reviews, I'm surprized some people are so upset. I think it's only natural that things had to change a lot with 100's or 1000's of new slayers. They're need to organase them as you can't really have a watcher for each one. Plus, 50 slayers vs 10 demons would be much better odds, lol!

The writing was as great as normal and the scene changes even seemed similar to the show. I agree that some things weren't explained, but being the first volume, I'll forgive that. Over all I'd recommend this to any fan of the show if you miss it as much as I do!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book, terrible condition, 18 Nov 2010
I received the book within five days, with scratched and bent spine, which annoyed me, however... As an introduction to Buffy Season 8, it was a fun read - I couldn't put it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Season Eight, 9 July 2010
This book is great! It's so fantastic to see all my favourite characters back in action.

I bought the Buffy boxset recently and so the show is very fresh in my mind - I think readers will benefit from knowing BtVS quite well as there are references I wouldn't have got merely from my memory of the show when it was on TV so many years ago.

It's great to see what Joss does with comics, actually. It's clear that there are things in here that he would have loved to do with the show, (a character turned into a giant, scenes with bombs, hordes of zombies, helicopters...) and he just didn't have the special effects budget to play with before.

Definitely buy this if you're a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome start!, 26 April 2010
Mr. N. Shaikh - See all my reviews
The TV series ended with the First Evil's plan unravelled, Sunnydale a hole in the ground, and Buffy now the leader of dozens of other Slayers. This trade paperback collects the first 5 issues of "Season 8," with Buffy organising 500 slayers into teams of 50 around the world. Xander and Willow still have her back as always, and as the slayer army has grown, so have the threats against them. Some old foes return with a vengeance, teamed up with a new Big Bad, called Twilight. The comics perfectly capture the mood of the characters. The art is fine, and just about recognisable for most of the characters. Dawn is as whiny as ever. I can hear the actors' voices speaking the dialogue in these issues, it's a great match, which it should be since Josh Whedon himself is involved. Highly recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but a good addition to the Buffy mythos., 7 July 2008
One of the criticisms levelled at this buffy season 8, is that it strays from the original set uo of the TV series. It is a fair point but as the opening narrative tells the reader "the funny thing about changing the world is afterwards everythings different."
Long way home has the task of reintroducing us to Buffy and co as well as setting up a new status quo, it works well enough with only a few minor bumps. Yes it lacks some of the charm of the cosy early series of Tv show, but the characters are still very much the same.
Georges Jeanty is a fair artist, however the inking doesn't do his work justice. I have seen him do much better work in the past. That said most of the characters are easily recognised.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Volume 1: Long Way Home
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Volume 1: Long Way Home by Joss Whedon (Paperback - 13 Nov 2007)
8.39