Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 August 2011
Although I actually enjoyed it, I don't feel strongly one way or the other about this book. It does a good job describing the concept of self-sabotage, and the grip it can have on its 'victims' but I've since read books which in my view do a better job explaining what self-sabotage is, the purpose it serves, and its root psychological causes. The author seems to be a strong advocate of anti-depressant which is not a view shared by the overwhelming majority of expert in this field, to say the least. In fact, many strongly advice against anti-depressants, which more often than not worsen the depression, have dreadful side effects, and numb the mind, making it very difficult to progress and grow. This is not to say that anti-depressants are never appropriate. I'm told some people would not be able to function without them, but I'm hearing again and again that, unless absolutely necessary, people should stay away from them.
The remedy recommended by the author is, in essence, the AA method (the Self-sabotage addict version). I'm sure she knows what she is talking about, but for some reason, I was not convinced. In my humble view, the AA method, although it is a lot better than nothing, and it allegedly has a solid track record of transforming people's lives, it does not address the psychological cause of self-sabotage, alcoholism, or any other additions, at the core. But my view could change if I was to spend more time researching the method. This is just an impression, based on what I've read so far and my knowledge of the matter. Other than that, I did enjoy this book, and I appreciate the author's sincerity and genuine willingness to help. It kept my attention and actually helped me in more than one way.
on 14 August 2008
If you think this book might be about you, you can definitely get something out of it. It's full of stuff to help you identify what might be the problem and simple things you can do to put things back on track. This book changed my outlook and my life for the better. Give it a shot, especially if you're thinking it's a bad idea or you can't make up your mind!
on 27 May 2014
An interesting book, certainly makes you sit up and think, learn some realities and prospective. Still working through it, and will probably do it again once I have finished!