4.0 out of 5 stars And it does not have `Millionaire' in the title!
Published on 27 May 2011 by Ned Middleton

3.0 out of 5 stars This edition not the best
Published on 1 Jun. 2005 by Eidson F. Hall

3.0 out of 5 stars This edition not the best, 1 Jun. 2005
Eidson F. Hall (Detroit, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I have owned this book for years, but I recently have discovered another, newer version that is far superior. It is "Think and Grow Rich!: The Original Version, Restored and Revised" published by Aventine Press. For one thing it is a bigger book, both in size and in pages (412). It turns out that the book that this review is about is an abridged version of the original, something I never knew in all the times I have read it over the years. This smaller version, while good, contains nothing like the additional information in the "Restored and Revised" version, which I heard 2002 World Snooker Champion Peter Ebdon speaking about. There is just a wealth of fascinating facts and information in the back of the book. In the older book (the rather plain, smaller "Think and Grow Rich" this review concerns), the print is difficult to read, there is little space for jotting notes. The newer revised version reads better and by comparison is a far more useful learning instrument. Napoleon Hill's work is probably the most important ever done, anywhere in the world, in the motivational and self-improvement field. Whichever version you read, it will change your life forever, for the better.

4.0 out of 5 stars And it does not have `Millionaire' in the title!, 27 May 2011
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Books on similar subjects appear to arrive several at a time. In addition to this particular work, I have another three all with the word `Millionaire' in the title (two very different works both called "How to think like a Millionaire" and one called "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind). No!, they do not show you how to go out and win the lottery or obtain the secret of some other get-rich-quick scheme. If they did, I would describe them all as rubbish and demand a refund from the publisher.

Leaving those other works aside, this book shows you how to look after and make the most of what you have. My father always used to decry the fact that "money always goes to money." Of course, if you have a lot and are getting a decent rate of interest, then, of course, it does. But I also remember a young married soldier from many years ago who owned a very up-market car, a nice towing caravan, a small removals lorry and had the finest furniture in his married quarter. Those vehicles were for rent and his fellow soldiers (and officers) made the most of them. I remember him very clearly because everything he achieved was both legal and on an under-paid private soldier's wage and he owed no money to anyone. His secret was in making extra money and looking after all his income with the greatest care.

And that is what this book is all about. It requires the reader to adopt a very different attitude towards money and expenditure and it works. Or at least it can - if you are prepared to learn the lessons and put them in to practise.

And I wish you well.

NM

5.0 out of 5 stars The FOUNDATION BOOK to Success, 9 Mar. 2010
C M Cotton "Chris Cotton" (Europe and USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is one of those books you must read, if you are into self development. It is one of the foundation stones upon which to build success.
The premise of the book is simple, by thinking and creating ideas, you can build wealth, as everything you buy etc has once been an idea in someone's mind.

This book will show you by using real life examples of how to use your mind to the greatest effect possible, to create wealth. The treatise is split into 17 Rules. These 17 Rules are tried and tested so that when they are put together they form a system. By using the system you too can create wealth.

Does it work? Without a doubt this philosophy works. I have used this book to create multiple streams of income by thinking strategically about my business. I have increased my personal wealth in the last ten months, faster than I have in the last 5 years.

I would suggest that the reader of this book also should purchase the following books. The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D Wattles, Born Rich by Bob Proctor, Physco Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz. These books will help overcome the initial scepticism, caused by internal conditioning, ie "Can it really be this simple". Combine these books with the brilliant book by Hill, and I guarantee you will change your financial destiny forever.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT get this version, 21 May 2008
Simon C. Wilson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Great book - but please do NOT get this version!

All it is, is a printed pdf file with a cover on it.

There are no lines between paragraphs, its printed on 7.5" wide paper and the text runs from edge to edge with hardly any margin at all.

I sent mine back as soon as I received it. It is unreadable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energise and Grow Rich, 6 Aug. 2012
The Secret referred to throughout the book is (I believe) the following:

First CREATE A VIVID PICTURE IN YOUR MIND OF EXACTLY WHAT IT IS YOU WANT TO ACHIEVE (could be something small, or perhaps your Major Definite Purpose).

Then, and this is the key part, CULTIVATE A BURNING DESIRE to attain it.

Sounds simple? And it is, but here is the magic in the method... A burning desire is really the ENERGY that you put into believing you can obtain your goal. Other words to describe this state could be PASSIONATE DESIRE, POSITIVE DESIRE OR SUPER-ENTHUSED DESIRE. What these powerful emotive states do is plant your image firmly into your Subconscious Mind, once the Subconscious accepts the idea then it immediately goes to work on realising it for you.

A HIGHLY ENERGETIC person can impress ideas onto his Subconscious Mind much more effectively than someone of average energy levels. I believe this chiefly explains the difference in achievement between people like Bob Proctor, Anthony Robbins etc. and the vast majority of readers who try to emulate them. Without their energy levels it is just much harder and slower to get results.

It is in the area of PERSONAL ENERGY that I think Napoleon Hill provides his best and most original chapter in Think and Grow Rich: Sexual Transmutation. This whole chapter is about channelling our abundant sexual energy and desire into our images/goals. He doesn't talk about chastity but instead taking most of our desire for physical contact and moving this into higher purposes - thus enabling us to tap into our Subconcious Mind easier, and to be more creative and successful as a result.

Here's something for you... take a look at highly successful people on TV, in Business, Politics and Sport etc. You will surely notice that they all have an abundance of energy. Far more than the average man on the street, who seems lifeless in comparison.

So it is energy that we want, and this can be built up by diet, breathing, exercise, meditation, nature, positive thoughts and of course Sexual Transmutation! (which Napoleon Hill says is the only way to reach Genius level)

All the other `Success Traits': Concentration, Persistence, Confidence etc. are all massively enhanced by having LOTS OF PERSONAL ENERGY.

To recap, this is what I believe to be the secret in `Think and Grow Rich':

1. A STRONG DEFINITE MENTAL IMAGE OF WHAT YOU WISH TO ATTAIN.

2. THEN BUILD A BURNING (ENERGETIC) DESIRE/BELIEF THROUGH CONSTANT IMAGING THAT IMPRESSES ITSELF POWERFULLY ONTO YOUR SUBCONSCIOUS MIND.

You may be thinking what about ACTION? Well once the Subconscious Mind knows exactly what you want it will prompt you into the best course of action to take. And let's not forget the ENERGETIC PERSON has no trouble taking action as they are naturally DYNAMIC and PURPOSEFUL.

In the Preface of the book Napoleon Hill mentions that the Secret is in two parts, and he hints that the first part is `Everything begins with an idea'. Well that is the deciding what it is that you wish to achieve. After that it is all about persuading the Subconscious Mind that you will obtain it. The reason the Secret cannot be bought for any price is simply that you have to work to build up your energy levels and to convince your Subconscious Mind that you can achieve your aims. There are sacrifices to be made - but with worthy rewards.

Just remember that your goals should be positive and benefit all parties.

Finally a quick thought on Master Mind groups. When two or more people are 'harmoniously' committed to the realisation of a goal this of course multiplies the available energy. This in turn helps to bring about faster and easier results. Try it and see.

Good luck, and happy imaging! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars When the student is ready..., 21 Oct. 2003
Larry Hehn "Christian in the Rough" (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
...the teacher will appear. Napoleon Hill encourages readers to go through this book at least three times. Solid advice, for there is a lot to chew on here.
First, you must know what it is that you want. As the publisher notes, "The riches within your grasp cannot always be measured in money." Get a clear picture of your definition of riches. Second, you must keep an eye open for opportunity, and be prepared to apply this material to transform thought into rewards.
20 years of research are crammed into these pages. You will learn six steps to stimulate your subconscious mind to turn desire into gold, a five step self-confidence formula, the 31 major causes of failure, how to train yourself to be persistent, how to multiply your brain power through a Master Mind group, the power of sex transmutation, the secret of effective prayer, and how to identify and conquer fear.
Do not aim to understand and apply all of these concepts in one trip through the book. Some of the ideas presented here take a while to absorb. Treat it like a buffet, sampling some of the familiar and comfortable in the first wave, while trying some of the new ideas as well. Look to understand and apply more with each read. As you progress, you will see evidence of the truth behind each chapter.
Henry Ford said, "Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it." This is not always an easy read. The concepts aren't trendy and easy to apply, so some are likely to dismiss them. But if you take the time to study this book, apply the principles and really start *thinking* right, you will grow rich(...)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book turned my life around, 12 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
In 1990, I returned home (Orlando,Fl) after a crashing business failure in Hawaii. I had read Think & Grow Rich many years before along with other mind books including "You can if you Think you can" by Norman Vincent Peale. Frustrated, I decided to go back to my "roots" and dug out the old dog eared copy of "Think and Grow Rich" that I had packed away and began to read and most importantly apply the techniques. Within weeks, I found a new opportunity and within months, my income had grown to a personal high. I really can't say enough about Think and Grow Rich, except read it and apply the principles. The other book that came into my life at the same time I began to reread Think and Grow Rich was "More Wealth without Risk" by Charles Givens and oh yes, I also reread You can if you Think you can by Dr. Peale. I highly endorse all three books for anyone serious about success.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not purchase this version, 19 Jun. 2008
I. Edmunds "MrsUmquat" (Worcestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
I wish I had read the previous review. It's so unreadable I have just left my copy in the holiday cottage bookcase in case someone has the ability to read the unreadable. I am sure there is a better edition out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impassioned me to be successful in a broad sense, 14 Aug. 1998
By A Customer
Review by Robert T. Koveleskie, Pennsylvania, Founder of VentureDirectory.com
Don't let the title Think and Grow Rich fool you. It's not only about money--far from it!  It's more importantly about getting along in life with a balanced perspective of economics and people. If you buy no other book in this collection, buy one copy of Think and Grow Rich, and then read it often. After reading it I know it will absolutely change your life--it did mine--and you will begin to "think and grow rich" in many ways!   Growing up on a Pennsylvania farm I had a limited exposure to the world and so badly needed a vision. I don't recall how I got Think and Grow Rich into my hands, but I thank Napoleon Hill that I did. After reading this book my life began to change dramatically. I became impassioned with a desire to succeed. I started working on a long-term education program. After working my way through college, eventually even teaching at universities where I studied, I became interested in having my own business and was successful enough to send my children to private schools.  And yes, I also became rich, just as Napoleon Hill promised in this book--rich in many ways, not only in terms of economics. I often wonder if Napoleon Hill even really knew the magic and power of this  book.
After reading Think and Grow Rich I bought 20 more copies and gave them to friends.  Last month, I mailed a copy to my youngest son for his birthday.   Think and Grow Rich is probably one of the greatest gifts he will ever receive. If you have children, you would be  wise to buy each a copy, no matter what age, and hope someday they will read it. If you are a businessperson, the book will make a great gift for your customers

3.0 out of 5 stars A poor version of an excellent book, 3 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich (Paperback)
Let me begin by saying that this is a truly inspiring and insightful book, and one which will help anyone immeasurably. It is mainly focused on acquiring wealth (hence the title), but the principles can be applied to achieving any goal. Despite being written over 70 years ago, the content is just as relevant and useful today, and easily deserves the full five stars.

With that said, this is a very poor version of the book. The content appears to be complete and original, but it is riddled with spelling mistakes and typographical errors, and I've even found a couple of places where entire paragraphs have somehow found themselves transplanted into the middle of other paragraphs, sometimes in the middle of a word! This is frequently distracting and sometimes nigh-on impossible to read. It is clear that the book has been rushed out with no proof-reading whatsoever.

In summary, I can't recommend this book enough, but please buy a different version.

Think and Grow Rich: Original 1937 Classic Edition (Marketplace Classics)