5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny! GREAT read
I have been reading a lot of books especially those about the saints, and recently about the Doctors of the church. In them they mentioned about the Fathers of the Church which sparked a great interest in me. Living in this part of the world it is very hard to get Christian books - specially Catholic ones. We do not have bookstores we can buy them from.

So I...
Published on 24 Mar 2012 by MKD

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good
Haven't finished reading it yet. So far so good
Published 1 day ago by Richard Hazell

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny! GREAT read, 24 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Fathers of the Church (Paperback)

So I did an online search on a book that spoke about the Fathers maybe in a style the way the 33 Doctors of the Church was written so that it gives a good overview of it. After much a search I came across this book. Being the kind of person I am I never buy a book without going through it generally to know that its a style of writing that I understand and would want to pursue reading. Coz sometimes things just go over your head or a really interesting topic may come across overtly boring because of the way the author has laid it out. Of course though Amazon does provide a first few pages preview it would not show me as much as I wanted to know. So buying this was a close my eyes and go ahead kind of venture.

I must say I absolutely LOVE IT. Mike Aquinas style of writing is brilliantly laid out and clear. It reminds me very much of story telling or like watching a documentary with a lovely voice in the background that captivates its audience. The information is very intriguing and grasping. Love the amount of detail and perfect for anyone who wants to get an overview of the Fathers of the Church. I especially even like the prologue before he gets into the Fathers bit since it gives a bit of Church history so that you can understand things in context. The categorization is also really helpful to give better understanding. Any Christian with a little understanding of our Church structures as well will love this book.

Id recommend it to anyone, even to the point of reading it out to people or using it as a reference. A great read and must have.

3.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, 11 July 2014
Haven't finished reading it yet. So far so good

3.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 22 Mar 2010
Bernard M. Abel "bearliners" (Langley, Berks, Angleterre) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Fathers of the Church (Paperback)
I wish I had read thoroughly the short comment on that page before buying that book

The idea in itself, [presenting the apostolic fathers thoughts] is absolutely briliant, and that book would have been a must have IF.... he did just that

halas, may be with some zealous energy, the author mixed it all with some Roman Catholic references either to catechism, or some papal encyclicals.. and in the end.. especially if you re NOT roman catholic, it becomes extremely frustrating.
I bought that book as part of a self study i m doing about the Orthodox church...
well.. there s nothing orthodox at all in that book

may be excellent for any RC new convert or any catholic with some theological interests..

i gave my copy to a local RC parish, as it was totally useless for me.

If you are investigating the orthodox church or simply want to access some patristic with an orthodox vision.. go and get the amasing "apostolic fathers" by Jack N Sparks.

The Fathers of the Church
The Fathers of the Church by Mike Aquilina (Paperback - 1 Nov 2006)
Used & New from: 15.76