5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tai chi book...
Published on 8 July 2004 by Mr. Darren P. Hammond

2.0 out of 5 stars American Tai Chi
Written for the American market,as an Anglo Saxon I found it irritating.
Published 10 months ago by APOTHECARY

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tai chi book..., 8 July 2004
Mr. Darren P. Hammond "shadowdh" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This (as said below) is filled with information... not only does he go in to the history of tai chi and major styles but also presents a good illustrated instruction manual for tai chi and qi gong... perfect for those who (like me) are a beginner to tai chi or qi gong and if youre thinking of starting then this is the book that will convince you to start... great writing style and very easy to understand... has many great tips and anecdotes in the margins too... brilliant all round...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Tai chi book EVER!, 23 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
Bill Douglas is Brill! I have bought other Tai Chi books only to find they have incomplete instructions, precious little by way of background info and utterly USELESS pictures.
NOT SO with the complete idiot's guide!
Informative? VERY very informative. I mean, shed loads of INFO. Clearly written.
Does it have Pictures? You bet! Very clear Pics of form and warm up exercises it EVEN includes Mulan fan and sword style! What more do you want?
IF you are serious about learning Tai Chi, let go of all the other books and get this one! It's worth TWICE the cash money.
People, this is THE Tai Chi book. I have the Bill Douglas dvd (also available from Amazon folks!) which is also great and a good companion to the book if you can't get to a class.
Treat yourself! Buy this book you'd be a complete idiot not to!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an outstanding book for anyone considering T'ai Chi, 26 Aug. 2002
By A Customer
Over the past few weeks my wife and myself had began T'ai Chi in our home in the evenings. We tried acouple different videos but we were having a hard time grasping it. I then purchased this book and we now have a much better understanding of the art of T'ai Chi. This book tells you the whole ins and outs of T'ai Chi. It not only gives you a great understanding of the movements involved but it also explains what you should be feeling when performing T'ai Chi. To put it simple. T'ai Chi is for everyone. It's a relaxing exercise that you can perform anywhere without even breaking a sweat. If you are considering T'ai Chi I strongly recommend this book. It will most assuredly clear up any problems you may encounter in performing T'ai Chi on your own...

5.0 out of 5 stars Better health could not be easier., 11 Nov. 2004
Lyman Good (Nottinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have a back problem of 4 years, mobility is low, pain is constant. I heard about T'ai Chi but didn't know what it was, after searching I was hoping to find a book on it, was I surprised. I bought the Idiots guide & the DVD by the same author because of the good reviews I read on Amazon. In doing the relaxation & the first set of warm ups, my pain dissappeared, today I walked to town, did some shopping. I am stunned with the results. If you are unsure of which book to buy, then get this one. I would recommend the DVD too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play T'ai Chi with Bill Douglas and learn a lot, 3 May 2011
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to T'Ai Chi and Qigong: Illustrated [With DVD] (Complete Idiot's Guides (Lifestyle Paperback)) (Paperback)
The Idiot's Guide to T'ai Chi and QiGong is like T'ai Chi itself: simple but complex, multilayered, giving something to everyone, no matter how much or how little time you have to spend. I have been trying to learn T'ai Chi for over 10 years. Many books and videos just make it all seem so complicated and overwhelming. But this book, like others in the Idiot's series, breaks T'ai Chi down, one step at a time. You can pick up the book for 5 minutes and learn a lot, just by reading several of the small boxes in the margins. The seated QiGong meditation written in Part 3 is worth the price of the book alone.

This author's attitude and advice that a student should "play T'ai Chi" was just what I needed to hear. There is no need to get the whole form, all the postures, and everything right. You can receive great benefits from just slowing down, starting at whatever level you are, and "playing" with any small part of the process. The author has been criticized for promoting his own videos in the CD attached to this book. I thought that at first, too, but I can see that he's just giving a taste for students to practice and play with, then noting that there is much, much more to come if one continues on this path. I don't find that a flaw, I find it a strength. This multilayered quality is what keeps me coming back to T'ai Chi again and again. Every time I do a class or a video, I have so much energy that day and the next few that I keep saying, "I want more of that!"

This book is a good investment, an aid to help you tune into the ultimate free and renewable source of energy in the universe that is found within each and every one of us at all times. The benefits of practicing T'ai Chi are given immediately, the day you begin. But more and more new channels continue to open slowly, one step at a time, as we learn each part and then keep relearning it thereafter, layer after layer. I thank Bill Douglas for making this sometimes esoteric-seeming knowledge accessible to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Idiots Guide to Tai Chi and Qigong (The Complet, 3 May 2004
By A Customer
hi i am a beginner learning Tai Chi and brought this book becasue i am a complete idiot trying to learn Tai Chi becasue the only thing i knew before about Tai Chi before reading this book was Tai Chi came from China.
This book is an excellent read and gives the reader lot and lots of information about Tai Chi and the benefits of it, I highly recomend this book and Tai Chi to somebody who is stressed or has health probelems, If your new to Tai Chi like i was, i would recmoned this book.
To get the best use of this book, i recomoned that you join a Tai Chi Class and let this be your guide not suplementing a teacher, becasue theres nothing like a teacher teaching you in a Tai Chi class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complete Idiot's Guide to Tai Chi and QiGong, 10 Feb. 2012
This is an excellent book and much better than I had even hoped. It is more focussed on Tai Chi than QiGong but there is plenty to learn about both of these internal arts. Well done to Bill Douglas and a big salute to World Tai Chi and QiGong day on April 28th 2012.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm no idiot ..., 17 Nov. 2004
... but I have learned a great deal from this book. In my opinion it's one of the best books on tai chi available today. And if you partner it with the dvd (Anthology of T'ai Chi & QiGong) you will have an unbeatable way to learn about and how to do tai chi. I was a complete beginner to tai chi. But now, after working with the book and dvd for only 6 weeks, I am "playing" tai chi daily and loving it.
The previous reviewer is somewhat confused about tai chi styles, so I'd like to try and set the record straight. Today there are a number of different styles of tai chi practiced around the world. An early form of tai chi was the Chen style. Yang Lu Chuan (the originator of the Yang style) studied the Chen form and modified it to create his own form. The Kuang Ping Yang style ( as taught in this book) is considered to be the original form of the Yang style as developed by Yang Lu Chuan. The popular Yang style of tai chi practiced today represents further modifications of the original Kuang Ping Yang form. Although it is a less popular form, the original Kuang Ping Yang style is considered by many to be one of the most beautiful forms of tai chi practiced today. The previous poster believes that the form taught in this book is not the "real" Yang form. But if there is any form of the Yang style which could be called the "real" form, the Kuang Ping form is the best candidate.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate book for tai chi beginners, 23 Mar. 2013
Mrs. Marilyn J. Sutcliffe "the disciple" (Burnley, Lancs. UK) - See all my reviews
A first class book. Don't be misled by the "Complete Idiots" label. The book is written plainly and simply with short sections but it contains a LOT of information. It demystifies Tai Chi for those who don't know about it or who are starting out on the tai chi road.I have since become a tai chi devotee and have found the practise of it extremely beneficial at every level. I still refer to the book now. Incidentally it tells you in this book about the painless effect tai chi has on addictions. After doing tai chi for about 18 months I quit smoking after 40 odd years, pretty painlessly and am convinced it was tai chi that brought this about. Recommended reading for those wishing to learn more about this valuable martial art.

5.0 out of 5 stars ratings for t'ai chi and qigong book., 20 Jun. 2014
I choose this rating as the book was all that it said in the description, and it was nearly new, and the delivery came as stated. I was very pleased with my purchase, and I will be buying further books etc from amazon site. Today 20/06/2014 I have just ordered another book from your site windows 8 for the older and wiser, and I am awaiting delivery, I hope that I am pleased with this book as well.