5.0 out of 5 stars Dont let the title put you off!
My mum got me this book and I was a bit put off because of the title, I thought it'd been written by people who had no idea what they were talking about. I've read quite a few books on the craft, and this one is one of my favourites.
Published on 28 July 2003 by lunapool

2.0 out of 5 stars The fluffy side of Wicca
Published on 17 Aug 2001 by Stuart Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars The fluffy side of Wicca, 17 Aug 2001
The first thing I need to say is that this book is by no means dreadful, but it is certainly not what I personally would look for in any guide to the Wiccan religion - nor would I recommend it to those seriously interested in either studying or practicing Wicca. I admit I have never been a great fan of the "Complete Idiot's Guide..." style, and it may be that those with a casual interest will find this book of use. But I would certainly advise anyone going beyond that level to look elsewhere for their information.
I'm afraid reading this book gave me the distinct impression that it was being marketed at the "love spells" audience - that category who wish to get involved in witchcraft because it's "cool", rather than from any real spiritual aim. There is more to Wicca than magic (sorry - I refuse to add that daft extra "k") and casting spells - and yet this book - like so many others - seems to approach magic as though it is the be-all and end-all of Wiccan practice. The first two parts of this book deal, respectively, with Wiccan practice and beliefs. And those parts comprise 68 pages - including blank pages between chapters. After that, there are 271 pages dedicated to magic and magical practice. I see this as being disproportionate in the extreme. Magic is a Wiccan tool just as is a ritual knife or a candle - but if all you want is magic, well, you don't have to be Wiccan to practice it. Why not forget all the intricacies of Wicca and just go and learn about magic? It strikes me as similar to becoming a Catholic solely because you want to take Holy Communion.
Wicca is a religion of which magic is a part, and not all Wiccans use magic in any case. I see little value in a book that claims to present an introduction to a subject and yet focuses on one small part of that subject to the virtual exclusion of everything else. I cheerfully admit my dislike of this book comes from my own view of magic as something that, like nuclear power, is very potent and needs to be treated with respect. I don't like to see books offering magic out as the solution to all of life's little problems.
Having said all that, though, this book IS well written for what it does, and it IS informative where magical tradition is concerned. It is dotted with little snippets of useful and/or interesting information and, to give credit where it's due, does often include warnings and cautions about the misuse of magic. So if you're interesting in a basic guide to magic, then this may well be the book for you. I just think it would have been simpler to have left out the first 68 pages and just called it "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic" - since as far as this book is concerned the entire Wiccan religion, its short history and complex philosophy, seems to be little more than an inconvenient complication to the simple business of casting spells.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont let the title put you off!, 28 July 2003
This review is from: Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft (Mass Market Paperback)
It has information on the history of Witchcraft as well as spells, info on faeries etc. It has so much info you'd think it'd be hard to take in but its set out in an easy to read way.
Sometimes the layout can seem like its not being taken seriously, apart from that i'd say this book is brilliant.
Very good for beginners as it doesn't mislead and its not to heavy, and OK for more experienced people because its full of information.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on Wicca and Witchcraft I've read, 27 Aug 2004
I've read quite a few books on Wicca and Witchcraft, but when I got this book (after being recommended it by a friend) I only knew the complete basics. However this book changed that, and I sincerely recommend you read it. It is packed full of information but is set out in a way that makes it easy to absorb. This book is great for both beginners and people who have had a little more experience. This book covers the Wiccan belief system, how to write your own rituals and spells, different types of Magick, how to figure out if Wicca is really for you, a brief history of Witchcraft and the Pentagram, who and what to invite into your circle, how to caste a circle and so much more, I have never regretted buying this book and even now still get it out to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gotta justify it!, 18 May 2002
This wasn't the first book I read so I when I bought it (quite ashamedly if u note the title) I already had some basic knowledge of what I was reading about. All this in mind I found it to be one of the best books I've ever read. Dispite the fact that some may feel it concentrates too much on magic I think its brilliant. During the part of the book which explains magic there is extensive info on planetary correspondances, colour correspondances, herb and oil properties, all in all a very solid beginning for the working of any spell or ritual.
True it doesn't discuss any part of wicca in any great detail, but this is why I think it makes a really good book for any beginner as it inspires you to dig deeper into the craft with more specific books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Oct 2002
I have read many books on the craft but this is the best I've read. Informative, welcoming and very reader friendly this book is good for beginners or the more advanced witch. Can be used merely for reference and spell crafting or as a whole. Gives information on the history of witchcraft, astral projection, how to craft your own spells, popular spells, Gods and Godesses and much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book to begin your study..., 16 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This was my first book on Wicca and Witchcraft and after a year of study I still refer back to parts of it.
Yes it is fluffy in places, but it is easy to follow and not at all heavy going.
Definitely has a place in every neophyte witches' bookcase!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear and easy to read, 2 April 2001
By A Customer
I brought this book on impulse as I was browsing and can say that it has earned it's place on my permanant bookshelf. It sets out the basics and how to set up your own Book of Shadows very well. I find it really comes into its own when you just need to look something up as all the information is really easy to find.
I would recommend this to beginner (for a first book) and to the expert (as a useful look-up guide)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Dec 2000
By A Customer
i can not honestly say that I have read a more detailed book on the Subject and thought that i provided a most useful insight into the life of many

4.0 out of 5 stars Good primer but the style might be off-putting, 23 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I almost put this book down for good after the first chapter. For a reader on this side of the ditch the style is disneyesque and cloying. However, I am glad that I persevered because it is a very competent primer on the craft. It has factual inaccuracies and grammatical infelicities but, if you ignore these (and you can, they do not detract from the sense of the book), this should be recommended reading for the novice or for the merely curious.

4.0 out of 5 stars surprising, 17 Aug 2006
ok, to be perfectly honest with you i bought this book for comedy value... it has taught me a lot and still makes me chuckle from time to time, but it is very informative...

you may think i am making fun of the book, i'm really not. i'm being honest.

it is an excellent read and very informative as well as useful to a newcomer to withccraft/wicca. but should not be the only thing you base your faith on...

thanks

Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft
Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft by Katherine A. Gleason (Mass Market Paperback - 4 Dec 2003)
Used & New from: 0.20