This book is lovely to look at and inspiring to read. It contains exercises, photographs, spaces for journaling and many words of wisdom. Before the week was out, I had already lent my copy to a friend, who loves it as well.
For many artists and would-be artists the problems with producing work lie in a lack of confidence and an inability to know where to start. Alena Hennessy provides simple exercises and suggests ideas to help overcome these issues, which I have found to be very helpful. My style is very different from Alena's but it doesn't matter - the exercises and ideas apply to everyone.
To learn more and to see if this book is really for you, check out Alena's website where you will see photos from pages of the book and find the author's blog and details about workshops: [...]
on 4 August 2014
Alena's book is as lovely and gently beautiful as she is. I am not a friend before she gets a sigh of her self promoting, I was just lucky enough to have taken one of her art classes. If you dont have the privilege (to take a class) buy her book. In my humble opinion it is a privilege to have enjoyed reading it and having it on my book shelf.
on 13 May 2014
I first saw this book in my local library. Kept renewing it and eventually bought it. I regard this as a 'dip in' book, rather than reading cover to cover. I love the simple artwork, makes you think that you can do it too! Just a nice book to have and know that you have around.
on 2 July 2014
If you're looking for a book to ignite that creative spark within; but don't want to be overwhelmed by a technical guide,(or if, like me, you had rubbish art teachers at school and feel kind of intimidated by the idea of being "taught"), this beautiful and fun book is just for you!
Alena's style is relaxed, inspiring and cares for the whole self, including chapters on yoga, breathing and herbal lore.
Interspersed with beautiful/inspiring/amusing quotes throughout, {my fave being "There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know any of them." Sylvia Plath), Alena's gorgeous art, tips, ideas and spaces for you to write your own thoughts, draw little pictures and complete exercises which help you feel your way into a creative state of mind, it's a fab and fun way to get your creative fire simmering.
Looking through my copy I've there's just so much to love,{too much to list here or this review will go on forever!}, makes me feel all warm, fuzzy and happy. Inspired by the book I'm going to sign up for one of Alena's e-courses very soon.
Give it a go, it'll make you smile I promise. :)
on 29 May 2014
Inspiring motivational to help one stimulate creativity. I plan to take the book on retreat and work my way through the exercise that particularly resonate with me at the moment. One could work through, or just dip in.
on 18 January 2013
It is well written and the illustrations were decorative but simple. There was good direction leading one on to explore mind and expression. The feeling was one of peace and gentle persuasion.
on 23 November 2012
Alena Hennessy's book 'Cultivating Your Creative Life' takes you on an artistic and spiritual journey. She guides the reader into an inner search for inspiration and refers to the various ways in which we can nurture our creative soul and express ourselves in a positive and artistic way. If you are feeling in a creative rut and need help getting out or if you would just like to see the beauty around you again then you should definitely buy Alena's book.
on 25 September 2013
The book was not what I was expecting. I had hoped it would be helpful in developing my creative side in positive and defined steps but it was very 'hippy' and unconstructive and anything at all useful could have been written on one page. I am sorry to say the book has gone straight to the charity shop! A sad waste of money.
on 15 June 2013
I actually read this book cover to cover which has made me give it a 4 star rating. I can't say I really enjoyed the chapter on yoga and the herbs you can use for 'life improvement' as that wasn't the reason for my choosing this book. I had hoped for a little more help on the actual creativity.....but maybe I need the yoga and the herbs! It was definitely a different approach that could be worth considering.
on 28 July 2014
Lovely book to read and complete. Take it as seriously (or not) as you want to.