5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for anyone who likes drawing on location
What an informative and inspiring book! If you like drawing on location, you will love this book. Hundreds of sketches, diverse styles, all ordered by location. And loads of the drawings have detailed information about media used and how long the drawings took, which is fascinating in itself. Would really recommend- a book I will enjoy looking at for a long time.
Published on 11 Feb 2012 by Louise

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book cheap printing.
I had a good look at this book on Amazon "Look Inside" which was very generous with the amount of pages shown, and was very impressed and inspired with the content.
I could originally only find the book in hardback which sold at approx 27 and this I thought was too expensive.

I later saw it in paperback, at about 17 and ordered it only to be very...
Published on 13 July 2012 by R J Willett

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great book cheap printing., 13 July 2012
This review is from: The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World (Paperback)

I later saw it in paperback, at about 17 and ordered it only to be very disappointed with, not the content but the cheap printing (same as Trudy Friend Drawing and Painting Bible which is now in Publishers Book Clearance for about 3.99).
I have compared the images on screen with the book that I now own and the screen image and colours are far superior.

PUBLISHERS PLEASE NOTE: Art is so visual by it's nature that quality of print is everything.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than ok, 25 July 2012
I am an enthusiastic sketcher and have many, many books like this on the subject. This one's ok. But, its time these authors started to think a bit more about what they're trying to achieve, for their readers. Basically, they are publishing eye candy for sketchers. And then, what? I guess, the theory is to inspire us to replicate these images in some way. Well, if that's the case, we need MORE FROM THE ARTISTS THAN JUST THEIR SKETCHES. How did they choose their subject? How did they approach it? (what feature did they try to bring out? how close? what angle?). What style seemed right and why? We need more than just a lot of meaningless images. In fact, the images meant a lot to the artist but we never hear about it. I liked to hear about the materials they use. This was a step in the right direction. Otherwise, how is this book different or better than all the others?? Because its about URBAN landscapes? Well, urban landscapes are my passion, but this book didn't bring me as close to this subject as I want to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for anyone who likes drawing on location, 11 Feb 2012
Louise (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 7 Feb 2012
This book is a treasure trove of artistic skill and inspiration. I really love looking at other artists sketchbooks, finding them more interesting than finished paintings. This book is a delight to look through with literally hundreds of colourful sketches faithfully reproduced.

The book showcases talent from around the World, but the one theme that unites all is the passion and love of the simplicity of creating an image based on an individual response to a landscape or building. Each artist gives a brief overview of what inspires them or why they chose to draw a scene, and what I really love is that many of them give an indication of how long each sketch took.

I have purchased many books on sketching, but this is by far one of the very best. It is not a 'how to' book, and it won't encourage you to mindlessly daub paint blobs and scribbles in the name of 'self expression' as sadly many books do. However, what this book will do is make you want to pack a sketch kit into your bag and get out an about and look at your environment through an 'artists' eye. It will make you look at things a little differently and through your own personal response record a little bit of your experience to a subject and with any luck you will be hooked.

A great book at a great value for money price, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars So much to look at! If you love art, get this book!, 5 April 2013
I just received this book in the mail this morning and I was amazed how captivating it is to browse through. The diverse range of styles, media and subjects is inspiring! The wide number of different works inside are such that there are some that I dont care for but many that I love!

Every page is filled with the sketches of artists around the world, from loose gestural line drawings to finely detailed illustrations. It seems almost every medium is represented (and detailed in boxouts for each artist).

I got this book to encourage me to start sketching and it's done exactly that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treasure of Sketches, 10 Feb 2012
If you are looking for clean cut inspiration to get out there and do some sketching, this is the book for you. I am a sketcher, an addictive sketcher, I sketch almost everyday on public transport, I love to sketch buildings and places that interest me and this book fires up my passion! It highlights the sketcher, their equipment and shows you pages from the sketchbooks, with vivid explanations on their procedures-you can't miss this one-pure value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reference of styles/techniques, 29 Mar 2013
A great aid to your own work. Has ideas and different approaches to capturing the feel of buidings in their birth location.

5.0 out of 5 stars Struggling artist., 10 Jan 2013
I have sketched for years and at last found a book to really inspire me. Excellent techniques ,step by step progress,struggling artists should get this book and use it. extremely useful, shame I have it give to my son as a present.

5.0 out of 5 stars Urban Sketching Book, 5 Jun 2012
Really worth adding to your library if you sketch. Some good references to equipment used for each sketch. A lovely book with a difference. I enjoy owning this book and sit and read it often for pure pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive and inspirational, 25 Feb 2014
I was encouraged to buy this book after being impressed by seeing a couple of sketchbooks by one of the book's contributors. I have always preferred the spontaneity of quick on the spot sketches and I have not been disappointed by this book: the variety of styles and media used by local sketch artists from various cities around the world, coupled with snippets of personal views of their cities and how they approach what is their passion. Although technically a paperback, the paper and binding are high quality. Overall, for me, an impressive and inspirational book. I am extremely pleased with it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World by Gabriel Campanario (Paperback - 1 Feb 2012)
12.59