5.0 out of 5 stars a must for any art student / practitioner
Published on 25 Sept. 2010 by J. C. O'donnell

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's book
I was a little confused at who this book was aimed at, when I looked through the pages it looks like a children's book, but it does have says in the intro that's it for adults, the examples are very simple and I didn't feel inspired to be honest.

Published on 17 Feb. 2013 by Mrs. Lisa Newton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for any art student / practitioner, 25 Sept. 2010
J. C. O'donnell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists: 52 Creative Exercises to Make Drawing Fun (Lab (Quarry Books)) (Flexibound)
This book is an amazing collection of mixed media starting points. A grate self motivating book that generates loads of ideas to help you develop your style and skills. Useful if you just want to practice, get ready for college / uni or develop a body of work. Also useful if you are looking for alternative ideas. The crossover between mediums is also inspiring and you soon realise that there is not just 52 separate ideas in this book but a whole lifetime of combination. Well worth every penny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite book- but give it a go, 4 Aug. 2010
I chose this book , because I already had others in the 'LAB'series(Collage Lab and Printing Lab) and found them stimulating, innovative and inspiring. Not so Drawing Lab.My disappointment was that although it describes itself as a book for ' Mixed Media artists'- I see having bought it that it is much more for beginners.
I have to admit that there are interesting parts to 'Drawing Lab ' - especially the ideas from other artists, but overall my opinion is that it is not worth the money.

I wrote the above review several months ago and today I determined to have another look at the book and see if I still felt so strongly. I made myself stay open -minded and I began to see that there are ideas in here that could get people started and just have fun. My passion in life is to help people free their creativity and I now think that this book has a place in doing that. Although there are parts that I still find annoying for myself, I see now that the author's attitude of 'just do it and see' is the very thing that allows people to overcome their creative block.So I have put the stars from 2 to 4 and say that if you are a complete beginner this could be a useful starting point

I still feel if you want to learn drawing or improve your drawing skills or just be totally inspired - then my all time favourite book is Bert Dodson's 'Drawing with Imagination'and I see that Carla Sonheim also recommends this.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed to kick start me, 15 Feb. 2011
I was a designer and illustrator many moons ago, then gradually moved to other less creative work, had kids and stopped drawing altogether. Reading this has inspired me to start drawing again. As it has vanished off my bookshelf I think Miss 8 has decided to seek some inspiration too. This has put the fun back into drawing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Making drawing fun!, 5 Aug. 2010
I bought this book and the other Lab - Collage Lab. I prefer this one - certainly to start with. Its fun and easy and alongside the other book I bought at the time (Creative Wildfire - which is good) go together well. Yes, its not a 'serious drawing' book - probably the other books recommended by the other reviewer (the Bert Dodson ones?) are better at this but I like this book's fun illustrative style. Its 'sweet' but maybe thats because its more like how I 'see' anyway....

4.0 out of 5 stars Drawing Lab by Carla Sonheim, 23 Mar. 2011
kaz (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Just the book I need to get myself into drawing mode. A good challenge for 52 days (probably more for me). Very excited to get started so have my sketchbook and pencil and am making a start today. My suitcase is packed for a holiday and this will definitely be going inside. Would recommend this book to anyone wanting to start drawing or to loosen up on their drawing skills ... who know we could surprise ourselves! Ready, steady, draw!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 4 Mar. 2013
This book is fantastic, it has enabled me to draw like never before!!
I am still in shock with the results. If you are at all scared to draw or doubt your ability, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found a Cure, 13 April 2011
E. Edwards (UK) - See all my reviews
At last I've found a cure for 30yrs of 'artist's block' - this book - specifically lab 37 - but that's just what worked for me! The beauty of this book is there is such a variety of inspiring ideas for all levels of ability - there is bound to be at least one which suits you and gets you drawing and loving it, as I am. So many simple and approachable ideas to get you actually working instead of just thinking you might like to! It's a very fun and relaxed approach to artmaking, which is vital if you lack confidence or feel 'blocked' at all.
I initially bought Bert Dodson's book mentioned by another reviewer, as I was put off this one by the 'for mixed media artists' byline. His book is good but didn't actually get me drawing again, so for me Drawing Lab is the winner!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beginner's book, 17 Feb. 2013

I think it would be useful if you wanted to teach children how to draw, but in my opinion this is definately a beginnners book.

The introduction says "Drawing is Scary..You feel comfortable with collage or acrylic paint, but not with a pen or pencil."
But in my opinion if you are comfortable with collage or paint then you probably don't need this book.

There are seven sections Inspired by, animals, people, famous artists, children and childhood, imagination, nature, books and culture. Examples in each section are double page spread on things like draw cats in bed, wrong handed portraits, picasso dogs, paper dolls, one-eyed monsters, paint blots, design a poster, nature walkabout, sidewalk crack drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars 52 drawing lab, 28 Nov. 2010
F. Cradduck "F. L Cradduck" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
A fun book for anyone who has a childlike creative spirit. It is relaxing to have a short break from main work to enjoy the exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning to draw the 'right' way round, 3 Aug. 2012
Annie (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is just GREAT! I have many drawing books in my collection and love to look at the pictures and read about the process, but have had a 'hate to practice' attitude.
From page 1, I crawled back into bed (as instructed) and drew. It starts at the fun end of drawing, where serendipity is of prime importance, and 'getting it right' is a foreign language (as long as you read the instructions?). Each lab exercise is growthful and a discovery, like growing up.....now each day has to begin with words and pictures. I get quite grumpy if something else takes priority!! Thank you. Thank you for putting 'learning to draw' the 'right' around.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›