5.0 out of 5 stars 1000 Artist Journal pages

2.0 out of 5 stars Homogenous collection of personal journals
Published 19 months ago by Schnack

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 1000 Artist Journal pages, 22 Oct 2010
This review is from: 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations (Paperback)
My daughter needed a similar book for her art course but when we had a look on amazon this looked much better. I actually thought it would look like the picture, not at all, these pictures were the inspiration for the book and just someone else's journal but my daughter loved it. She took it to college and all her friends asked the details so they could buy it. All her tutors came and looked at it. Then other teachers came from other medias and asked to borrow it for their classes saying how fantastic it was for inspiration. Without a doubt this is the best Art book my daughter has had and her tutors agree that they will be telling their future pupils to buy this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful book, 14 April 2011
If you're looking for a "how-to make journal pages", then this isn't the book for you. If you are looking for a collection of beautiful artwork and inspiration, then buy this book. It's a gorgeous book with many different types of journal pages but it does not tell you HOW to make them yourself. But definitely enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompts to get you pumped!, 14 Sep 2009
Ms. Ke Jewitt "SkillKick Limited" (England UK) - See all my reviews
The author treats the subject by letting the journal pages themselves do the talking! There's very little text but over 300+ pages display 1000 journal pages. It is great to keep as a reference guide and use as a source of inspiration and creativity when you need it. The first six pages of the book are text and talk about 'why journal' and 'prompts to get you pumped'. It is just so exciting and really gets you thinking about all sorts! The title 'prompts to get you pumped' is great and it does just that. I'm constantly looking through the pages and every time I notice something new.Art journalling is fairly new to me, so this book was a great way to see so many art journal pages in book for loads of inspirational ideas. I'm sure this book will inspire anyone to try art journaling. There's so many different ways to create pages and ways of using art journalling

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 3 Feb 2010
FULL OF INSPIRATION, lots to look at, a huge variety of artwork from lots of different artists, you are bound to find some which inspire you, good photos. I would definately recommend to anyone starting an art journal. I go back to this again and again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Homogenous collection of personal journals, 25 Sep 2012
As someone who has recently started "art journalling" I have purchased a few books about techniques and some showcasing other artists' work, hoping for inspiration. I had high hopes for this book based on the reviews and the "look inside" (always much appreciated). Unfortunately I was terribly UNDERwhelmed by the variety and character of the work shown here. I kept turning the pages and encountering very similar work - almost as if half of the artists had attended a workshop together and employed the same techniques to their pages. Techniques like drawing wavy lines and hand-lettering variable sized text to fit in the lines; stamping 'headlines' in alphabet stamps; marking out 'calendar squares' on a page and writing short daily entries over a month; lots and lots and lots of pages covered in colour washes with inspirational words or quotes pasted on them....
And one of the last things I'd expect to ever hear myself complain about - but the majority of artists featured (at least 90%) are female. Generally injecting more female power into any perspective is a positive, however in this case I feel that it contributes to the sense of homogeneity that pervades this collection. The work here is very skewed towards people who are making their personal journals artistic, rather than artists who are keeping personal journals. For me, this was probably the key to the problem. If the title were "1000 ARTISTIC Journal Pages" it would be much more accurate. I'm not keen to say who is an artist and who isn't - we all have some creative ability and should be encouraged to express it. I would not call myself an "artist" (I could probably be defined as someone trying to make a personal journal artistic!) but my heart yearned for more variety and inspiration than I found in this book. Also it's worth mentioning that due to the number (1000) of pages displayed, they are small - on average four journal pages to one page of this book, and many artists have multiple pages represented. There is no information about the artists but there is a list of names, with web site links where available at the back. I am sure there are people who will find this book fits the bill but it's not what I needed.
Personally I found An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers to be much more inspirational, varied and exciting - and it includes short interviews with the artists who answer questions about their journals, what notebooks they use - and in some cases includes photos of their workspaces and collections of note/sketchbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars colourful, inspirational, just what I was after, 17 May 2011
This book is visually so appealing, very colourful... gorgeous graphic images, providing an insight into the creative minds of many journallers. It is definitely giving me inspiration and the confidence to proceed with this. Each page has at least two images but there is very little text, and no description of the techniques used .. so it's not a manual... just very interesting, I would recommend this to anyone starting to do their own journal pages

5.0 out of 5 stars a sixth star book, 2 Mar 2011
Paola Ricci (italy) - See all my reviews
i go trought this book again and again and never get tired of watching all this talented people's works.the quality of the photos and of the paper is very high and the form of a catalogue chosen by the author is just great.i love it and absolutely recommend it to everybody interested in art and imagination

1.0 out of 5 stars It's life, but is it art ?, 1 Dec 2011
Jeff Walmsley "JW" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Two or three years ago I bought "An illustrated life" by Danny Gregory, an anthology of extracts from the notebooks and journals of professional artists, illustrators and designers.An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers I was enchanted by it, and following the enthusiasm with which this later publication has been greeted, I felt sure that I would enjoy this one too.

Regrettably, this volume is a totally different kettle of fish; or should that be can of worms.

Firstly, it is very badly produced. A glance through the pages will reveal that most of the contributors prefer the portrait format for journals; so why is this book produced in a square format ? Answer, so that four portrait format pages -- presumably A4 in the original -- can be produced on one page.

Whilst my eyesight is perfectly adequate for reading normal print, this huge compression renders even normal scripts unreadable without a magnifying glass. But perhaps it doesn't matter. Most of the contributors prefer, or are only capable of, illegible scripts, and like to place them against backgrounds which make them still more illegible anyway; and those that are legible make far from pleasant reading.

After browsing this book, my overwhelming feeling was one of pity for the contributors, who appear to have the most miserable lives; a powerful magnifying glass reveals that many of them are telling themselves to cheer up, think positive, relax, forget, lose weight, or reassuring themselves that they are superior to everyone else, or offering sad and wistful expressions of unrequited love, together with rants against employers, lovers, friends and colleagues. (What can we conclude, I wonder, from the fact that the vast majority of contributors appear to be female ? As is the compiler).

Not all contributors are tarred with the same brush. For example, I make a notable exception of the assured, elegant pen sketches and legible script of Glaucia Mir, Julia Molina's smart little montages, and Paul Abadilla's great character studies. There are others but they are few and far between, occasional jewels floating on a sea of angst and scruffy, unintelligible psychobabble.

The Journal genre has grown in popularity in recent years, starting with extracts from artists' sketchbooks and gradually evolving -- I would say deteriorating -- into the form we have here. This newest form is unquestionably a large market, as all the favourable reviews illustrate; but Art is a very subjective field, and publishers -- and reviewers -- need to make clear the kind of taste being catered for. These are mostly not extracts from artists' journals, but from teenagers' illustrated diaries. It's art, Jim, but not as we know it...

5.0 out of 5 stars 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations (Paperback) by Dawn DeVries Sokol (Author), 16 Nov 2009
MS Mclean "smclean" (uk) - See all my reviews
Very recently bought this book, it is amazing, I really love it.
It's well put together, inspiring,creative and full of lots of different perspectives, textures,
and uses a variety of artistic styles and media.
It is a real source of inspiration,

5.0 out of 5 stars great source of inspiration, 14 Oct 2009
Icarus "Icarus" (Buxton, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this book- so many different styles and ideas. It can be used if you get stuck for ideas- (like the artists version of writers block) Very inspirational for beginners and experienced. It offers an insight into a variety of methods for different mediums. Beautifully made book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa6a2993c)

1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations
1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations by Dawn DeVries Sokol (Paperback - 1 July 2008)
12.79