5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have for anyone with portfolio based work
Currently I am in the third year of my architecture degree where the porfolio and the exhibition are the most important aspects of the degree. I have struggled to find a book which gave me assistance on improviing the graphical communication of my work, until I found this one.

Published on 15 April 2008 by F. Ridler

3.0 out of 5 stars hard to read
I bought this book to learn more about print design issues and was disappointed to find how hard it was to read. The text is too small and too pale, especially in the picture headings which carry much of the information. Although the book contains good ideas, I wouldn't recommend it anyone with less than perfect eyesight because of these issues.
Published 15 months ago by kubus

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute must have for anyone with portfolio based work, 15 April 2008
F. Ridler "whizzwham" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)

As anyone doing a design based degree will know, portfolios are not just a collection of work, they are a visual communication of an idea and an extension of the work.

This book has the ideal balance of examples (all neatly catagorised to help you understand what it is that makes them a good example) as well as informative text which acts as an aid rather than the main descriptive tool.

The categories are clearly headed and organised and allw for quick reference and understanding. Just flicking through and simply looking at the diagrams and pictures has already given me numerous ideas and understanding.

Offering a set of rules and guidelines this book helps to develop a personal awareness of HOW to create something visually pleasing and communicate clearly instead of teaching how others do it with no real understanding of the method involved.

I have not found a single book that sums up graphical communication as this one does. A vital tool in porfolio design I would HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who needs to present a portfolio. The applications of this book would also extend and be extremely useful for anyone involved in visual communication.

Excellent value for money, a really smart and sleek book, and a must have on a designers shelf. BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic asset to own !!!, 25 Aug 2010
John Donner (Amsterdam ZO, NH Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)
This book is a truly inspirational gem, a must for every graphic designer. The quality of the physical product, cover and bind, is a perfect match for the beauty of its pages. I`m grateful to writer and publisher and feel lucky for owning this title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)
Being a non-schooled, part-time graphic designer, who's learnt everything on his own during about 10 years of doing print-design, this book has provided quite a useful resource. I just bought it, and it certainly isn't completely perfect (small gripes, such as too small print and at times a bit messy layout that perhaps aimed at something artistic but fell short), but for its price, it has already done some wonders and has given me quite a lot of food for thought.

Actually, inspired by this, I designed a nice propositional layout and managed to get a good contract doing the design for a 250-page text book with loads of pictures, graphs, tables, and all those nice, giddy little bits that one can spend a ton of time with. For me, this book has been quite educational and reasonably inspirational, though if you've been through a formal education in design, this might not be up to scratch. But for every self-taught designer, I would heartily recommend this nice little piece.

I suppose the main gist of what I would say is that if you're thinking of whether or not you should buy this, my advice would be to go ahead.

3.0 out of 5 stars hard to read, 8 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)
great book which covers all you need to know in easily accessible form. Bought it for my graphic design son who rates it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Design Elements, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)
very good book covering the fundamentals of designing must have for students and non students of design alike, would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of information, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual (Paperback)
Great creative book. Full of very informative ideas, styles and graphic structure. Lots of stuff that makes you want to better your own portfolio.

Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual
Design Elements: A Graphic Style Manual by Timothy Samara (Paperback - 1 April 2007)
13.59