on 14 March 2004
This is a wonderful book - not a 'bad card' amongst them!! My one and only complaint is that there is no 'where to buy' page and despite spending hours on the net looking, I have not been able top track down pastel crinkly paper!!
Highly reccomended book if you want something slightly different!
on 17 August 2005
It is maybe not the best book for an absolute beginner, as the instructions are not very detailed and there aren't lots of step-by-step pictures - you need to know the basics of how to use a craft knife and other techniques for cutting, folding, gluing, etc - but for anyone else, buy it! The designs are simple, stylish and effective - there isn't a card in the book that I wouldn't be delighted to receive and I'm looking forward to making them. They are all "grown-up" cards, not the rather amateurish, childish looking ones that so often appear in card books. Very few of them use embellishments other than ones made from paper, and you won't need a lot of tools either, just a few basic punches in many cases. I had never thought of cutting my own embossing stencils before, but I will certainly try after seeing the results in the book. I am even motivated to try quilling, the designs look so pretty and fresh. The author has a real eye for colour, and many of the cards are in pale, off-white shades that look incredibly sophisticated. Unlike many US books, there aren't lots of cards for festivals such as Hallowe'en and Passover, but there are a few Christmas cards as well as ones for birthdays, weddings, anniversaries and plenty that are suitable for more general use. Flowers and butterflies are a recurrent theme, but you will find some cards that are less "female".
on 24 October 2004
Well, I have a few cardmaking books now and I can honestly say, this book is really inspiring. Its beautiful pictures, well written instructions and ideas just sent me into overdrive and I made 20 cards yesterday!! Well worth the money!
on 1 March 2007
I just cannot believe how boring and unhelpful, for anything more than the absolute basics of cardmaking, this book is. I was looking for sophisticated inspiration whereas I have received a "Janet and John" basics book, no inspiration whatsoever. I did note the publication date of 2002 - cardmaking has progressed enormously over the past few years, assisted by technology. I had been persuaded to buy the book by reviews of other purchasers. I can only advise people who are considering this book not to waste their money. It is always difficult when purchasing a book when there has not been an opportunity to browse it, that is why readers' views are so valuable. If you are looking for inspiration, guidance in developing your talents, it is more useful to go on the gallery sections of products [...] and simply print off anything that takes your fancy. Hopefully Amazon might begin to stock some of the fabulous products on the market for crafters at all levels of expertise.
on 16 January 2006
This is a beautiful book. The cards are inspirational, simple but all very sophisticated. Yet the techniques are all fairly simple to achieve. I'm positive if you are a card maker/papercrafter you would be thrilled to bits with this book. Unless of course you only like cheesy, cutsy style... then there are other ones better for you out there.
on 27 March 2010
I bought this book because several reviewers mentioned the elegant and sophisticated cards it contained. What a disappointment! Some of the cards look interesting, quite a few look very amateurish and most use just the same techniques. What disappointed me most was that the instructions given are very poorly written and edited. Some instructions confuse because they are unnecessarily complicated whereas others are far too brief and omit essential information. At least one set of instructions refer to making something that is not on the pictured card (for instance, one refers to making a flower vase which is totally absent from the card). The photographs are of white or pale-coloured cards, taken with overly bright lighting against a pale background. Consequently, most of the photographs are washed out and it is not possible to see the detail that you need in order to grasp construction details that the instructions failed to make clear. For me, the only value of the book was that it has made me come up with alternative ideas of my own. I look at the photographs and think, "That would be a lot easier done like this ..." or "That would look much better if I did that ..." and so indirectly it has given me inspiration for some cards. Personally, I would recommend Julie Hickey's "Quick and clever handmade cards" or Vivienne Bolton's "Handmade cards and gift-wrap". They contain an excellent range of stylish card projects with clear instructions and photographs.
on 21 February 2006
I bought this book because of what the first reviewer said. She is spot on, the cards are elegant and simple which was just what I was looking for. The ideas are good and can easily be adapted into hundreds of different designs.
on 15 November 2006
Amazing cards, and I found them relatively easy to make,even as a complete beginner. By far the most sophisticated cards I've seen in any book.

However if you want a bigger book, with more cards, buy 'The Art of Card Making' by Claire Sun-ok Choi, Lisa Kerr and Susan Jaworski-Stranc. Pretty much all of Claire's cards in this book (Designing Handcrafted Cards) also appear in The Art of Card Making, along with lots of others by the two other authors.
on 26 February 2009
This book is ideal for new crafters like myself or the more experienced ones like my daughter. It teachers step by step and is full of ideas and techniques that encourages the card maker to experiment and develope their crafting knowledge.
on 30 December 2009
Delightful book with unique cards. You do need to get some basic equipment if you are a complete beginner but once you are up and running you can use the ideas in the book to make your own cards. Some of the cards looked complicated to make but great step by step pictures.