on 16 June 2004
I love this book. It's got a lot of great and useful information, it's beautifully visual and it really packs a lot into its pages. Since buying this book a couple of months ago, I've referrred back to it again and again. Every time I look at it I see something I hadn't seen before, which invariably sparks dozens of new ideas. Thanks for getting me out of an artistic rut, Lynne!
on 17 May 2005
This book is top of its class! This a book that you'll want to digest inside and out! It is full of inspiration, colour, techniques, and a wow factor it will just inspire you each time you open and flick through it time after time after time! I love this book, I have quite a number of books on art journals and book art and this is the winning one! You will want to dig your teeth deep into a project the moment you put this book down! Every time I flick through this book I find a new 'discovery' every single time. Go do yourself a favour now go beg, borrow or steal this book because you will need to have it! :)
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2004
Its only after i read this book that i really knew that i wanted to make art journals. The pages show so many creative options and give you so much inspiration for your own work, you'll be dying to try out new ideas straight away. Its a great book, especially if like me you're really into art, and want to open up to as many new ideas as possible. Art journals are a great thing, and i will always be taking one on holiday with me where ever i go. soon i hope to travel, and i cant wait for the end result of the journals then.
A must have book. If not to work from as a guide then to give you an insight to new ideas, and the great work that many artists are involved with.
on 26 February 2007
I ordered this book on the strength of the rave reviews on Amazon and was rather disappointed. Although several artists are represented, there is basically only one style: that on the front of the book. If you like this, you'll love the book, and I won't deny it is beautifully produced. However, all it seems to be about is cramming as much decoration onto one page as possible: ribbons, buttons, stencils, washes, poems, individual letters etc. This is all in the contemporary scrapbooking style, and to me seems to be more about decoration than exploring different artistic ideas or keeping a real journal. The pages scream: "Look, I'm a really creative, funky person." But what have vintage photos and shreds of old sheet music really got to do with keeping a journal or sketchbook? I thought a sketchbook was about recording what we see around us. Evidently not. Interestingly, like the scrapbooking genre, this seems to be by and for women only; not that I'm against such things in principal (I'm into patchwork), but it does seem somehow very girly and overly pretty.
33 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2004
This is the best book I have ever seen for inspiration, tecniques and ideas in sketchbooking, and I think I have seen them all!!
This should get your juices going if you want to create great journal pages or looser artwork.
on 6 February 2005
Wow!
This book is the first book about paper crafts I ever bought, and even thought I've always been creative (writing, knitting, sewing and decorating stuff) it's not until I started to do collages in Perrella-style that I've really been feeling like a true artist! It’s so cool!
Before I started I read Lynne Perrellas book for about 2 weeks, browsing, looking, and wanting to try her collage techniques. This must be it! It is so marvellously fun and amazingly easy to do. Just start with some magazines clippings - and glue! Cheap, easy, fun and not to time-consuming. I love it!
The tips in this book are very clear and easy to follow, weather it's about adding different painted backgrounds, finding pictures to use or how to make a beautiful cover, this books gives you lots and lots of great information and tips. Nothing is a "must" everything is for fun and to learn to express yourself through colour and abstract art. Or not so abstract if you add your own thoughts, words, photos and paintings that you yourself can understand and appreciate.
I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to express themselves in journal/artistic form! If you haven’t tried to tell your story with some collage and paint, now is the time. The pictures in this book are like sweet candy and the inspiration I've gotten is the best ever!
Thank you Lynne, I'm so looking forward to your next book!
on 25 April 2005
I adore this book. I found inspiration on each page and it has become a valuable teaching aid. Would recommend it to anyone who is looking for exciting projects for themselves or for those of you that teach art, graphics and illustration. A valuable addition to anyones collection
on 4 February 2009
I should have read all the reviews first and thus feel I really do need to offer mine.

The book is high quality and contains stunning examples of Art Journals - and Art Journals and Art Journals - which, when all said and done, is what it says on the front cover.

There are fine photographic examples of journal types, methods to "dress" your journals and suggestions for hand made books - however little in the way of techniques and materials required or used to attain such.

There are 4 double spread pages dedicated to a technique making use of "slide mounts" (as in photographic slides) outlining over 60 individual examples with a "life-size" image and supporting text. A good technique but it does seem to dominate the section somewhat.

If you're an artist and want to unleash your creativity into a regular journal, then this will, I'm sure, start you on a journey.

If you're a journal keeper, experienced or on the brink, then this may not be what you're looking for ... yet.
on 22 January 2009
The pictures are beautiful. however i mis understood the book title, its only explores personal pages, telling you possible things you can do,i thought it would tell me techniques and so forth.Keep this in mind when buying it.
on 8 July 2010
I thought this book would help me understand how to use a sketchbook as a travel journal. It is really a book on how to decorate pages and spend days producing one page instead of a few minutes getting down valuable information and a sketch of something as you see it. An expensive mistake on my part. I did not interpret the title correctly. Good for a scrapbooker though. May now sell my copy on Marketplace as 'like new'.