1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Did Jesus Rise from the Dead? I'm still not sure, or if it matters, 19 April 2003
This book is a live debate transcribed into book form, which is something that doesn't usually work very well, and it doesn't here in my opinion. Antony Flew has some good pointed arguments in places, but too often fails to respond to the specific charges made against his rather woolly atheistic case against the resurrection (namely, that it doesn't make philosophically credible sense). Although, I think we have to admire him for daring to step into the pit to take on the best that academic evangelicalism has to throw at him - they 'gang up'on him rather too obviously towards the end, when the chairman/editor of the book starts laying into Flew's case too. Habermas is one of the most erudite defenders of the resurrection of Jesus around today, and yet somehow he likewise fails to convince - I could not help feeling that without the resurrection belief he too would be an atheist, which seems utterly absurd. If you had to understand a fraction of the evidence and data as Professor Habermas does to come into a faith in God then most of humanity will remain 'lost'.In short, you expect a good old fashioned punch up of a debate, and you get a mildly interesting, but essentially disappointing book - I hoped it would be one I could get friends to read, but they'd be bored by it, more than I was. It has a promising title, and the vote that goes against Flew sounds interesting, but I was glad when I got to the end and simply disagreed with the voting which could have been a foregone conclusion given its evangelical audience. There are better books than this: try Josh McDowell's The Resurrection Factor for starters.

It fascinates me to think that most of humanity since the dawn of our emergence, have no clue about the fuss that is made about Jesus and his life, and yet to some in our age certain particular beliefs about his life are said to be so important that all our eternal fates rest upon them... which seems to me absurd. Something deeper is surely going on, if anything...

Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?: The Resurrection Debate
Did Jesus Rise from the Dead?: The Resurrection Debate by Terry L. Miethe (Paperback - 4 Dec 2003)