Format: Hardcover|Change

Dave Stockton has been out there, played on the PGA Tour AND written about what he did to become a great putter. There are very few golfers who have done that successfully, but Dave Stockton stands out as one who has. Sp when he writes about how to putt, he's telling you not only "how to do", but what he knows stands up and works in competition rounds at the highest, most stressful levels. So if you want to be a good putter this is one of the books you need to read.

As we are all a bit contrary and like to read other authors' work before following, I would suggest a read of Dave Pelz, Stan Utley, and Geoff Mangum. Stan and Dave Stockton believe in a curved path to the ball, with a rotation of the shoulders, and Dave Pelz and Geoff Mangum believe in a straight back, straight through path for the putter face.

I'm very analytical, so of course I read one of each and then settled on the ones that most closely matched my own golf coach's teaching - Stan Utley and Dave Stockton. My two picks measures 3/4" thick when placed one on the other - that's more than enough for me. Geoff Mangum's and Dave Pelz's books on top of each other is too much for me - 2"
on 17 March 2013
I read an extract from the book in a copy of Golf Digest (I’m in the UK but just happened to pick up a copy!). I hadn’t been putting well and thought I’d give it a go.
I gave the system 9 months and I have to say my putting got worse – sorry Dave!
There may be some reasons – to work properly you need a putter with loft on it because one of the things is a forward press then keeping the hands ahead of the ball. I didn’t change my putter!!
No practice swing, breaking the wrists on the way back I found difficult, and picturing a spot an inch in front of the ball didn’t work for me either.
There were good things – approaching the putts, reading the greens, but overall since I have gone back to my old style and improved back to my old stats, which, whilst not great, are better than Dave’s method stats!
I’m sure it’ll work for some – after all he is one of the gurus – but not for me. Never the less it’s a good book, hence the 4 stars.
on 3 August 2015
Very disappointing. Despite foreword from left-handed golfer Mickleson, the whole book is written for right handers.
Where he could easily have said "top/bottom hand" for the grip, he uses "left/right" hand to describe strokes, making it virtually impossible to follow.
Initially his big "USP" is to forget about technique and focus on confidence and feel, but then spends a couple of chapters in barely legible descriptions of technical aspects.
His narrative is repetitive and padded out with self-congratulatory stories of how he put pros on the right track
Many of the photos are poor quality, in black and white and out of focus. I checked the front page and can't believe this book was first printed in 2011...it looks like something out of the 1970s.
OK, he may be a great coach in the flesh and he does make some solid points about the mental approach to putting - but if you are looking for clarity, I fear you will only come away more confused - especially if you are a left hander!
on 12 October 2011
Dave Stockton has produced another expertly written book. His ideas on the mental side of the game are easy to understand (not too technical) and he explains things in an uncomplicated way which helps you put them into practice on the course.
on 10 November 2013
A great book that stops you being scared while putting. I think it was a lot more useful that either Pelz's Bible (all mechanical) or Bob Rotella's books (all mental).
on 29 November 2012
Dave Stockton knows what he is talking about, just look at how he has putted over the years. He lays things out really simply and really helps you identify your own putting style and also deals with the mental side of putting, probably the most important part. The work he has done with Rory McIlroy has been miraculous and after only a few rounds implementing his ideas my putting has improved also, definitely a recommended buy for people struggling to putt with consistency.
on 26 December 2014
Well written and logical, with little padding. Stockton extolls the virtues of uncluttering the mind of golfers, therefore he keeps advice on technique to a minimum. This approach suited me well, despite being someone who likes to understand the mechanics of golf, because putting is about feel, more than anything else. If you read this book you will want to take on putts, instead of perhaps being more concerned about what might be about to go wrong as you approach greens.
on 10 February 2013
The book is clear and easy to read with photos of important aspects, and consists only 95 pages. One can pick and choose from Stockton's recommendations. Useful drills.

This book is good for golfers who are open to improve their putting and mental game.
on 28 August 2013
This is a really easy book to read and comprehend. I enjoyed how DS simplified the whole process into a one motion and is something I could read again if I needed to. Over to me now!
The only part I didn't like was the over promotion of Taylor Made putters.
on 9 February 2013
The advice could have been done on two pages. So it strings it out a bit. But the part you want to know - Does it work. Simply yes. Common sense, simple to follow and putt better for ever. On that basis - Good value for money.