Published on 16 Aug. 2012 by R. Elliston

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear. Should really have used some common sense ...
Steer clear. Should really have used some common sense when feeding my baby based on these recommendations. Runny yolk?!? Our little one had a reaction and threw up immediately (he isn't a unique case as we know others who had the same). Chicken liver-you really need to be careful. Studies have shown that infants can get serious vit A poisoning.
Published 5 days ago by KS

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Revolutionary in a 'looking back at how we used to do it' kind of way!, 16 Aug. 2012
R. Elliston (UK/Peru) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Super Nutrition For Babies: The Right Way to Feed Your Baby For Optimal Health (Paperback)
I love this book. I have studies nutrition from all different perspectives over the last 10 years and although i used to come from a vegetarian/low meat background (and, to be fair, even cleared up several health issues that way) but, since studying rather more seriously, have come to the conclusion that the way we used to eat, even just a few generations ago, is the most nutrient dense way. Other baby books encourage baby rice and veg purees which contain.... very little nutrients or artificial ones. We are told that we should start weaning at 6 mths because babies lack iron or won't get enough from milk. Well, they will get very little from carrot and parsnip. These foods also won't fill them up if parents are hoping solids will help baby sleep through the night. A baby needs far more nutrients to do that.

My husband and I changed our diet the day my waters broke (6 months ago) and our health has improved no end. We no longer get colds or other viruses that get passed around and I know other people who eat this way say the same. Babies get an average of 6-11 colds a year and this is accepted as normal and part of their immune system getting stronger. However, my baby is now 11 mths and hasn't had a cold yet. He has my antibodies (fully breast fed). I would say THAT should be the norm.

This book is the way to go. The only thing I would say is that no baby is the same and so you have to be relaxed about the whole weaning thing. Also be aware that the term weaning in the US is coming off of milk, whereas we use it to refer to introducing foods. There is a subtle difference.

Weaning this way isn't for the faint-hearted, nor for someone who has little time. It does take a while to adopt different eating habits and to learn a new way of preparing food. Lots of parents give their children inappropriate foods because it is convenient rather than considering what the baby really needs and what their digestive system can realistically deal with.

If you decide to use this book I recommend getting organised!

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, real nutrition advice for weaning!, 31 Mar. 2013
As a nutritional therapist, mother and grandmother, I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Long overdue, the book is filled with the correct nutritional information to enable parents to nourish their infants so that they grow up into strong, intelligent and healthy children and adults.
Most other weaning advice is not based on nourishing traditions, but on conventional wisdom which in turn is based on what the food industry wants us to believe.
Buy this book, use it well, and hand it down to your children when their turn arrives to be a parent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book for babies' super nutrition, 7 May 2012
B. Groves (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
Having children is an expensive undertaking. If your children are healthy it is an expensive joy; if they are not, it can be a much more expensive nightmare. The difference can lie in something as simple as what and when your baby is fed. For this reason, what every thinking potential mother needs, but can rarely find, is the right knowledge to ensure her baby is healthy.

There are many books, by people with strings of letters after their names (so they should know better), which advocate the current party line - low-fat and beware of saturated fats, carbohydrate-based, diets laden with plenty of fruit and vegetables, for infants and growing children. But this kind of diet is wholly inappropriate. The result is a rapidly-growing incidence of obesity, diabetes, and many other associated degenerative conditions.

So, it is encouraging that a long-overdue book, Super Nutrition for Babies, has been published.

A baby not only needs a high-fat diet, she needs a high saturated-fat diet. Nature did not make a mistake by arranging that more than half the calories in mother's milk comes from saturated fats. Baby also needs specific very-long-chain fatty acids for adequate brain growth, which are not available in plant fats and rarely found in commercial formula. And with a very small stomach in which to pack all the nutrition she needs for growth and development, baby can well do without the added burden of useless fibre, sugars and starches that most baby foods have in abundance, because the manufacturers are more interested in their wealth than they are in your baby's health. So any parent needs to know what, when, and how much to feed their baby. All of this is explained clearly in an easily understandable style. Super Nutrition for Babies is set out in such a way as to lead you gently through the early part of your baby's life, month by month for the first two years.

To help, the book is laced with menu ideas and recipes from formula you can make yourself to meals for optimal health, together with all the information you need to source the various ingredients, which you won't normally find in a supermarket, and ways of preparing them, right through to more `grown-up' meals. This is invaluable knowledge which is sadly lacking in our civilised society.

But there is a lot more than that. Super Nutrition for Babies looks at the pitfalls and dangers inherent in commercial foods designed to attract children; and it looks at the effects of mother's diet while nursing. The book is liberally laced with advertisements from the past, illustrating the thinking of those times and contrasting them with what we see advertised today, which are both interesting and entertaining. Nothing in this book is difficult or dry.

Not since Adelle Davis's books in the 1950s has there been such a comprehensive and useful guide to bringing up children to be healthy, disease-free (without need for vaccinations), and happy. I commend Super Nutrition for Babies to everyone planning a family today.

Barry Groves
Author of: Trick & Treat: How `healthy eating' is making us ill
Natural Health & Weight Loss

Super Nutrition for Babies: The Right Way to Feed Your Baby for Optimal Health

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome- I wish every new mum were given a copy, 22 Sept. 2014
Fantastic book!
Love how the authors have looked back to show how what they are recommending, which may seem unconventional to most- was in fact the norm in the not too distant past. I really hope that a focus on nutrient density, fresh unprocessed foods and the right foods at the right time will one day again become the conventional approach for everyone.
Having cured a chronic health condition myself through nutrition I am a strong believer in the power of food. I feel so blessed to have a book like this which is so well written, researched and referenced to guide me through the process of weaning my baby and ensuring he eats the best foods at every stage to ensure the best chance at health now and in the future. It's my bible and I wouldn't be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 20 Jun. 2014
I completely agree with the other 5 star reviewers. I also came from a low-fat, bordering vegetarian diet but after studying all different types of nutrition and adopting the style of this book (i.e. Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon but for babies) I have not looked back - as a family we have lost weight, gained energy and feel well nourished. My baby loves the recipes and style of cooking, especially egg yolks and grated liver as a first food! Our toddler is also enjoying the changes we have made. The background information about health and nutrition make complete sense. Our babies will thank us for going the extra mile and avoiding the processed, convenience foods so readily available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 May 2014
Great book
With odles of sensible information
Am a bit taken back as I'm a vegetarian with there being no advice for bringing up a baby on a vegetarian diet but still love the book

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT GREAT GREAT!, 19 Jan. 2014
I love this book! It has tough me so much about nutrition and what's good and bad for my baby. It is a must for every parent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Steer clear. Should really have used some common sense ..., 20 May 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Oct. 2014
An excellent guide for anyone who wants to feed their baby the traditional real food way.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 9 Dec. 2012
This book is ok but I am not really following everything what is writen in it. I found baby lead weaning more usefull.

Super Nutrition For Babies: The Right Way to Feed Your Baby For Optimal Health