5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Recipes that could fool non-vegans
I bought this book because I love, or rather loved, ice-cream before I realised I was lactose intolerant. And after many years of only having swedice glace (lovely but plain), boooja booja (tasty but expensive) or sorbet (not ice cream!!) this book is a welcome relief.

It has a huge range of recipes that will cater for most tastes. Chapter includes classic,...
Published on 14 Aug 2009 by Delia A. M. Lewis

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes rely on product not available outside America!
Published on 14 May 2012 by darrenth

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes rely on product not available outside America!, 14 May 2012
This review is from: The Vegan Scoop: Recipies for Dairy-Free Ice Cream That Tastes Better Than the Real Thing - with 1/3 Fewer Calories (Paperback)
The book looks lovely, with what might be fab recipes, but puzzled by all the positive reviews from England, as I can't see how they've made any of the recipes. Pretty much all of them require a product called Soya Creamer, which is not available outside America. I've looked at various forums (lots of people both in UK and Australia asking the same question) and on the Vegan Scoop's website, but can't find any suggested alternatives. So unless I'm missing something, this book is pretty much useless as is in the UK. If anyone wants to correct me, please do and I'll change my review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought as a pressie ..., 7 Aug 2010
Mrs. P. A. Wilmut "claruspaw" (North of England) - See all my reviews
Bought as a pressie for my daughter, whose 18-month son has developed a dairy allergy, thereby largely denying him the joys of ice-cream and other dairy-based frozen desserts. The book, which is clearly and attractively presented, contains a wide variety of interesting and obscure recipes, but whilst a few of them might be worth trying out for one so young, the vast majority seem to be geared to the more mature palate. However, having bought a copy also for my elder daughter, I have no doubt that a good deal of constructive experimentation will be taking place over the next few months, and I look forward to being invited round in the near future for a sampling session!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes. I've only made vanilla so far and ..., 4 July 2014
Great recipes. I've only made vanilla so far and made it with oat milk and cream, which I think is a bit too strong tasting.
My next go will be an imitation of Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup. The component parts are all there in the recipe book. This time with soya milk and cream too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmmm!, 26 Jan 2014
Excellent recipes for the meat-free amongst us. I would recommend this book for making the creation of some tasty sweets

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!!, 20 Jan 2014
Meagan Kivig (Copenhagen,Denmark) - See all my reviews
I just received an ice cream maker for Christmas and then bought this book. I've only made one ice cream,so far, but it was incredible!! The Almond Ice Cream. If that simple ice cream is that good, I'm really looking forward to try more. The mixture before it's frozen is even incredible-very custardy.
Also, this seller was great-the delivery was fast and I live outside of the UK. Very pleased, indeed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mainly for American market, 17 Nov 2012
This is a lovely book to look at and some nice recipes, but many ingredients are not easy to obtain in UK, there were no recipes using Tofu. I thought it would have various ways of making Vegan ice cream the main ingredient is Soy creamer, the nearest I found in supermarkets was a soy single cream which was fairly runny. I realised that it would be best adapting my own recipes for dairy -free ice cream. Overall not very useful.

2.0 out of 5 stars For me it was a waste of money, 26 Aug 2014
Can't make any of the recipes as can't find creamer anywhere. For me it was a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous once you have a recipe for soy creamer, 21 Mar 2014
I was given this book as a present. I am not a vegan but have friends who are, so am often cooking for them and enjoy looking out for vegan recipes that will satisfy both the vegans and non-vegans at the table.

When I first flicked through the book, I thought it was amazing (pecan apple Danish, coffee, mint choc chip, blueberry, choc peanut butter swirl, butter pecan etc) but as I went to make the recipes I realised that I couldn't buy soy creamer and that pretty much put paid to making any of the recipes. A trawl of the internet suggested that this American product was different to soy milk and cream. However, eventually I found a recipe on this site ([...]) and since then haven't looked back! I've made quite a few of the recipes and one friend even said the vanilla choc chip ice cream was the best thing she had eaten all year! My personal favourite so far is the butter pecan. I challenge anyone to work out its vegan if they didn't know!

To make approx 1.25L of soy creamer, mix 0.25L soy milk (am sure you could use other milks if you prefer but I haven't tried anything else) with 0.25L oil (I used sunflower) and blend in a blender. Then add another 0.75L of soy milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional but I've used it and think it does make it nicer) and blend until smooth and frothy. The website also added 1-2tsp agave to taste - but as I used sweetened milk I didn't need to use any extra sweetening.

Once you've got a product for soy creamer, the recipes become accessible and the choice of ice cream is yours!

2.0 out of 5 stars O.K. if you are ONLY allergic to dairy, 13 April 2013
Bought this excitedly hoping I could finally make ice cream for my son who has serious allergies (attends Great Ormond St Hospital). Unfortunately the recipes rely heavily on 'soy creamer' (soya) to which my son is highly allergic and there is no alternative. Many recipe books give alternative ingredients, shame this one does not. Even the sorbets are alcohol based. For me a waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely non-dairy ice cream, 9 Sep 2012
I love this recipe book and am thrilled that I can make home-made non-dairy ice-cream as I cannot tolerate dairy. This recipe book gives a good base to make lots of different dairy-free ice-creams - which I have been tweaking to play around with the flavour combinations and tweaking the milk to use instead of the soy-based recipes in his book. It also has lots of different recipe flavours - which you can either follow or use to be imaginative and make your own flavours.

The recipes in the Vegan Scoop call for 470mL of 'soy-creamer' which is an American thing and I am not sure what exactly that is or what is an alternative/equivalent product in the UK/outside of America. I tried to use soy cream instead, but I didn't really like the taste of this ice-cream as it left an oily-like residue in your mouth, which I think came from the soy cream. I have tried using 1 carton of soy cream and 1 tin/carton of coconut cream, mixed with soy milk/coconut milk to make up the liquid quantities required and this seems to work a lot better, without the after-taste when using only soy cream. Or you can also use 1 250mL carton of coconut cream, mixed with 1 400mL tin of coconut milk, and use soy milk to make up the rest of the liquid quantity required in the recipe.

I'm not sure what I would have done without this book and I am having so much making (and eating) my own dairy-free ice-cream.