4.0 out of 5 stars Very good
I've not done a great deal of the recipes from this book, but the ones I've tried (especially the cookies) are very good indeed. It's true that the author relies on the commercial egg replacers a bit too much, but these are the only recipes that actually render the egg replacer useable!
Published on 12 Feb 2008 by Mr. Bryan S. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on the egg replacer!
Published on 29 Oct 2011 by S. Oakley

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 12 Feb 2008
Mr. Bryan S. Roberts (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for vegans who love baking..., 12 May 2008
Ms. R. King (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this book and was utterly impressed when I received it. It's a big thick book full of loads of great photos. Well written with loads of recipes this is definitely worth every penny. I have already made a couple of things and plan on making many more. I missed baking when I became a vegan as I didn't have any suitable recipes. Now I am making up for lost time....

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific vegan resource, 11 Nov 2009
I've had this book for about a year and a half now and I think it's great. It is a really good resource because it covers just about every kind of cake, muffin or cookie that you can think of, plus some recipes for things you wouldn't ordinarily expect to get in a dessert cookbook, such as waffles, almond milk, pretzels, cinnamon rolls, sorbets, shakes and smoothies. In the introduction, and a few brief interludes throughout the book, the author talks about her journey towards becoming a vegan and reasons for avoiding milk and eggs, plus advice on making the transition to veganism. These sections are not at all preachy and are very useful if you want to explain your reasoning to others without getting up on a soapbox. There is also a really good appendix with basic baking information, recommendations for vegan products, and resources and further reading.

All the recipes that I've tried from this book have been really delicious. A few have been real hits with people who aren't vegans and had no idea they were eating a vegan dessert -- spiced cocoa muffins and blueberry orange bundt cake in particular. A couple of the recipes have become real staples in our household: banana chocolate chip muffins and blueberry lemon muffins (both of which I make substituting soy yogurt for the oil in the recipe, in order to reduce the fat content, with wonderful results). And the chocolate cake has been my daughter's birthday cake for two years' running (gobbled up by the children at her birthday party!).

Most of the recipes call for ingredients that are easy to find, even here in England. Please don't let other reviewers' critical comments about the use of egg replacer powder put you off this cookbook. Ms Patrick-Goudreau doesn't use it in all her recipes and I'm sure when she does there is a good reason -- the recipes all seem very well tested so I'm convinced that where egg replacer powder is used it's because it's the best choice for that particular recipe, as it is very useful in binding ingredients together. There seems to be a bit of a bias against it from some vegans, but it really isn't tricky to use and I'm sure in a blind taste test no one would be able to tell if a dessert contains it or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very comprehensive., 3 Sep 2008
Ms. C. Rodway (London) - See all my reviews
This is a great all round book with good layout and lots of nice photos. It covers lots of basic recipes so there is something for every occasion. I've made the Apple Cake twice and it is really delicious, and, importantly, looks good - making it all the more impressive when served to non-vegans. Not all the recipes call for egg replacer - lots give flax seeds as the main replacer or as an option. I would definitely recommend this book, along with Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, for anyone interested in vegan baking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy on the egg replacer!, 29 Oct 2011
S. Oakley - See all my reviews
Not a bad book and I've been happy with the recipes I've tried. However I find myself skimming through and turning to a different book fairly often mainly due to the many recipes using the commercial egg replacer. I've no idea if I can get hold of that (in UK?) but I'd never want to - I try to avoid that kind of synthetic product as a rule. Not all recipes use it by any means but it stops this from being a must-have vegan cookbook in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this!, 22 Nov 2008
Rose M. Glover "Rose" (UK) - See all my reviews
Colleen Patrick Godreau has created the most beautiful, well thought out book on vegan baking. I listen to her podcast a lot ( Its called "Food for thought" if anyones interested!) and she is overwhelmingly inspiring and her enthusiasm, joy and talent bounce off each page of this delightful informative book ( She has small sections where she talks about cow's milk, eggs etc throughout the book ) I true-ly cannot recommend this book enough!! Try the chocolate bread pudding!
Oh , and yes she does use egg replacer in some recipes , but explains how to make whatever it is without the replacer and something else instead, and she really only uses it a few times, and whats wrong with it anyway? Its great stuff! It works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 3 Dec 2009
Miss R. Lonsdale "Business Fweek" (Swindon UK) - See all my reviews
I have a shelf full of baking books and I have to say this is by far the best. This book greatly improved my baking skills. Thanks to Colleen for taking the time to provide tips and information about different ingredients and how they work within a recipe. Colleen also writes an intro as to how she became vegan, for any person interested in animal welfare this will speak volumes to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes!, 5 Oct 2010
At least the recipes we've tried so far have been really great, especially the German apple cake. Better than most similar non-vegan recipes! I have to admit that I was a bit suspicious when my better half ordered this book, as we aren't vegans, and sometimes vegan cooking is a bit "lacking," but with these recipes I really could turn vegan, at least when it comes to baking :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Joyful recipes from a truly remarkable writer, 21 July 2009
I absolutely adore this book and its writer, Coleen Patrick G.
(sorry I never remember how to spell your French? surname!!)
I tried a LOT of the recipes and in all the ones I tried I never had to use
an egg substitute, so stop whining about that and just try the many recipes that use flaxseeds instead or just baking soda.
This author impressed me for her personality , which radiates from the book. SHe made me a much better cook (my partner can't believe how lucky he is as he's getting all these amazing and fat-free vegan muffins and biscuits and quick breads etc. etc..). I love this book, HIghly recommend it to inexperienced cook as well as experienced. The pictures are beautiful too and most of all, if you're new to veganism, the book is also filled with very clear and interesting information about it. A great book and a great gift if you know someone vegan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ab Fab!!, 12 May 2014
L. J. Afif (Dubai) - See all my reviews
So far, I've made the Baklava, the Apple strudel, the Raspberry oatmeal bars and the Apple muffins and I can honestly say every one was a 10/10!!!! Ok, so they're not all super healthy but I wanted to make indulgent vegan desserts, and why not? The recipes are easy to follow, most have pictures and there are lots of useful tips too. Go for it, you won't regret it!!!