on 27 November 2013
This is a great book to get if you want to get into better shape or lose weight by walking. It's also a great read to help you get the most out of your pedometer. Here's what you get.

The book has no chapters, but rather centers around a 6-week program. As you might have guessed, each section is a week. Weekly step logs are also included at the end of sections.

Week 1 is simply about putting on your pedometer and doing your normal activities for a week. The goal here is to find out just what your average number of steps a day is. From there you'll build on that number and the rest of the book shows you how. Included in this section is all the basics you need to know about pedometers, such as how they work, the proper way to wear it, etc. Most helpful!

Know now that your end-all goal of this 6-week program is to get you up to the 10,000 steps a day level. Many people have heard of the "10,000 stpes a day" campaign and it was extremely interesting to me that this number is actually based on research that has been going on since the mid 60's, mainly in Japan of all places. In a nutshell, people who walk 10,000 steps a day tend to have a normal weight compared to people who average about 6,000 steps a day or so. Now that's good info to know.

On to Week 2- the goal here is to increase your average daily steps (which you found out at the end of Week 1) by 20%. This is a nice small increase. This section is all about ways to increase your daily steps.

The Week 3 section is neat. After finding ways to increase your daily step number in the previous week, this week's goal is to practice building some of those modest increases into permanent additions- and to make your newer steps into habits.

Week 4. By now you've managed to increase your steps and may be hitting a plateau when it comes to finding new ways to increase them even further. Enter the goal of week 4- ways to add walks to your week. By using the tips and suggestions in this section, most readers will no doubt be able to find clever ways of adding short walks here and there to further boost their daily step numbers. A few pictures of helpful stretches are also included.

The Week 5 section covers an important way to boost steps- increase the speed at which you take steps. Here you learn the proper, safe way.

And lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the Week 6 section. Why? Because it covers STICKING with the program. As the book says, more than half the people who start a new fitness program drop out within 6 months. So, the emphasis here is ideas and tips to make pedometer walking a part of your life.

The book ends with a frequently asked questions section and a nice resource section (i.e. hiking info, race walking info...).

I have to say that this is a really enjoyable book to read with good research interspersed within each section. With the book, a pedometer, and a little motivation, I think most every reader will have a lot of fun reaching a new level of fitness.
on 24 August 2011
There not much content in this book. Basically it goes like this
1. Use a pedometer to check how many steps you take normally for one week
2. Increase this number by 20% for one week, do the same for the next week etc etc
3. Ehh.... that's it!!
4. PS: By the way here's a few tibits about pedometers and walking

I felt a little cheated even if it is a cheap book.
on 19 July 2011
I bought this book after having purchased a pedometer and it has proved a motivator. It did not tell me much that I did not already know but had a few useful ideas of increasing my steps. Also told me exactly how many steps for health and how many extra to lose weight. So far I have lost 4 lbs simply by walking more without dieting.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This was great although it took the combined efforts of 4 adults to understand all the instructions. We got it in the end though. We bought it for a 12 year old. Needs an adult to understand how to connect to the computer.
on 27 January 2013
My own fault I guess - its all about the pedometer and I thought i was going to be instructed in how to walk correctly. so i am sorry but I will not be using it at all.