4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting tip bits
Published on 11 Sep 2010 by Mrs. J. A. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed...
Published on 6 Jan 2005 by pammy-jive

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed..., 6 Jan 2005
This review is from: The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants, Mushrooms, Fruits, and Nuts: How to Find, Identify, and Cook Them (Paperback)
Useless book. Targetted at the Americans it has little use for anyone in Britain. As far as a "complete guide" is concerned, you would have to know the plant pretty well in order to find it in the book anyway, as despite a few colour pictures in the middle, the rest of the book is made up of a description with a very basic hand sketch, which is not of much use in the area in which the book is sold - for identifying and finding unknown plants.
Very poor and certainly not worthy of the books title.

1.0 out of 5 stars the complete guide to edible wild plants, mushrooms, fruits, 11 Nov 2004
it is too american and therefore the language and the name of the plants etc is also american, no good for the british isles.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK book but wrong side of the Atlantic, 19 Aug 2007
As stated by previous reviewers this book is very much U.S. orientated and no real use over here. I would also say although interesting and informative could really do with better (possibly even colour) pictures. I bought this book before finding reviews warning of the geographical restrictions and was somewhat frustated with the result.

1.0 out of 5 stars A waste of money, 12 Jun 2005
By A Customer
i would agree with all of the above, no use for the british isles

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy if you live in the UK, 16 Mar 2008
Deer Seer (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this in good faith as interested in foraging for wild food in the UK, but it is actually a north american guide, so returned as not fit for purpose. As a guide for anyone in america it would definitely not be recommended as there is nowhere near enough detail to allow definite identification, especially of fungi.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Complete Guide to Edible Wild Plants, Mushrooms, Fruits, and Nuts: How to Find, Identify, and Cook Them, 30 Jan 2009
Sa Hoad (Bedfordshire. England.) - See all my reviews
I bought 2 copies of this book as presents and have just found out that it is written as a guide for the American countryside and totally useless for us in Britain. This should have been stated at time of purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so complete guide, 13 Sep 2010
Paul (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Having moved out of the city to the countryside I was keen to take advantage of the many foraging oportunities available to me in and around our garden and teach our young children which plants can be eaten and which ones they should avoid.

Having not picked up the book since it arrive I eagerly opened it last weekend to check to see if one of the trees nearby was a sweet or horse chestnut. I was somewhat surprised to find many pages dedicated to coconuts, but none to chestnuts. Obviously I made the obvious mistake of assuming that the Chestnut tree was a common edible plant and should have realised that the coconut was far more common and so warrented an entry.

I then went through the book and was amaized at the number of common edible plants (when compared to the river cottage equivalent) that were absent from this book.

In conclusion, if you are planning on being stranded on a caribean island this book would do you, however, if you live in the UK save your money and take a look at the River Cottage seriesHedgerow (River Cottage Handbook).

4.0 out of 5 stars Some interesting tip bits, 11 Sep 2010
Mrs. J. A. Smith "Jesscat" (norfolk) - See all my reviews
I took a copy of "The Complete guide to Edible wild plants...." with me camping last week. After my initial disappointment that the book was not relevant for the U.K. I continued to read it having nothing else with me at the time. I enjoyed it and unlike my other field guides I read it cover to cover. It has many interesting factual nuggets and I warmed to the author and enjoyed her passion on the subject. Especially enjoying her explanations and the detail she went in to when discussing the plants scientific names. It is not a field guide and she even says to take a good field guide with you but it is a enjoyable book. Maybe not "the complete guide..." as stated in the title more like a homely account of forging with some nice recipes.