5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book if you're tired of spinning cubes
Published on 11 Feb 2011 by cjd22

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but really outdated
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but really outdated, 14 Sep 2013
I bought this book as a cheaper alternative to a newer volume but it's really outdated by this point, I was hoping I could fluke using it but all of the recommended programs to use can't even be bought through official channels anymore and none work natively with Windows 7. If you happen to be running a machine and operating system from six years ago, this book will almost certainly be for you, it's brilliantly written and, from the little I have read before I concluded I couldn't use the code, very thorough. I intend to keep it as reference material even though the code doesn't work but it's virtually useless to me. This is not the book's fault, I was an idiot for not buying a newer volume. Luckily the fourth edition is on its way so I'll probably buy that when it comes out. Thank god I bought a used copy and only lost 5 as opposed to 20!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy this book if you're tired of spinning cubes, 11 Feb 2011
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. This is the book I've been looking for. I was tired of buying books that just kept showing me how to do a spinning cube. This book shows you how to build a model in Anim8or. Then how to convert it to a DirectX 3D model and then put it in into a game. I have been searching for this book for a long time. The code works fine with Visual C++ 6.0. If you are using Visual 2005 or higher you will have issues. Otherwise a great book. Buy version 2.0 if you want learn how to put 3D models into your game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 17 Oct 2007
I have only just started using this book, so technically you can ignore the 3 stars, I just wanted to put a warning on for anyone getting this book. It reads fairly easily but none of the code worked properly, I did some searching online and I found the answer on some forums. If you get an error when compiling them that is similar to the error below
"error C2664: 'MessageBoxW' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'const char [29]' to 'LPCWSTR'
Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast"
Then the solution is typed below, it worked for me, hope it works for anyone else having the same trouble. And by the way, I'm using Visual C++ 2005, people with different compilers may or may not have this trouble at all.

"Project -> Properties -> Configuration Properties -> General -> Character Set

Set that setting to Use Multi-Byte Character Set"

Beginning Game Programming (Premier Press Game Development)
Used & New from: 1.69