4.0 out of 5 stars Brad Smart knows what he is talking about BUT!!!!!!
Published on 19 Aug 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but
The title says it all. A useful beginners guide, or a refresher course in people management, but if you are already successful as a manager it may not have much to offer.
Published 21 months ago by MR T R CONDER

4.0 out of 5 stars Brad Smart knows what he is talking about BUT!!!!!!, 19 Aug 1999
By A Customer
I have read this book and conclude that most of the information is accurate in my experience. I think that Brad could TOPGRADE his style, however. The chest puffing gets tiring, his arrogance makes me gag and in general detracts from the potency of the book. This method is "no silver bullet" it works and can be difficult to implement. I also didn't care to read about Brad's property investment property and how he has Topgraded his help. .....Please lighten up Brad.
Woody Daroca Denver, Co.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hopeless at recruiting until I read this, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Topgrading: How Leading Companies Win by Hiring, Coaching and Keeping the Best People (Hardcover)
Until I read this book, I was hopeless at recruiting. I would ask the usual interview questions - where do you see yourself in five years time etc. All the things that any potential candidate was expecting, and could bluff their way through.

This book has really turned things round for me. Even if you don't use all the questions in the first interview, just going through the work history questions can be a real eye opener. For example, finding out what the candidate thought previous employers strengths and weaknesses were can really tell you a lot about whether they'll be suitable for your business.

I used the book yesterday, and it prevented me from making a huge recruitment mistake. Had I stuck to my old interview technique I would have hire a completely unsuitable candidate.

If you have struggled to recruit the right staff in the past, do try this book, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely useful book based on solid research., 13 Mar 1999
By A Customer
Based on solid research, this book introduces the concept of topgrading-filling every position in the organization with a top candidate at the appropriate pay level. Topgrading is a process involving: seeking out, hiring and retaining top people; using the best assessment methods to make less than 10% mistakes in hiring and promoting; improving current staff through coaching; redeploying employees who are not performing at highest level to a position in which they can excel; and achieving inclusivity goals without lower performance standards. A chapter devoted to self development focuses on fifty management competencies and is of particular usefulness. Other guides and aids are presented for interviewing and self appraisal. This is an extremely useful volume.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaches managers a skill that most are notoriously missing, 22 May 1999
By A Customer
This book not only teaches managers how to hire, but also teaches them how to coach and to improve their own performance.
The book is appropriate for managers in big companies, and also for owners and managers of small businesses.
How much time did you spend deciding which model to buy of that $25,000 piece of capital equipment... a week or two? How much time did you spend interviewing your most recent hire? Probably a lot less for the latter. But why? Probably because we managers have such poor interviewing skills. This book will give you the process to follow, ideas and even some specific questions to ask.
No excuses that the labor market is so tight. We all know that. What we need to do is get the best person available for the job. This is the book to help you do that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but, 24 Dec 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars ", 24 Feb 1999
By A Customer
"Topgrading is based on the author's experience assessing and coaching over 4,000 managers. Although half of the book talks about corporate topgrading programs, that's not for me. I was interested in the half of the book devoted to managers. I'm a newly promoted manager, and I learned how to hire the best people. Topgrading also showed me how to develop myself to be an 'A player'. The author helped me identify my developmental needs. Topgrading gives 3 or 4 suggestions for improving each of 50 different competencies. AWESOME!"
Chris Mursau

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PROCESS AND REASONS TO HIRE THE BEST, 6 July 1999
By A Customer
Computers and equipment are wonderful tools, but people make the difference. TOPGRADING makes it clear just how valuable it is to hire and work with the best. The mistakes you will avoid make the investment very valuable. Early in our company's history, we did a statistical analysis of how many candidates we had to seriously consider before we could assume that we had seen an outstanding one. It was over 140. TOPGRADING provides you with a process that reduces that number a lot, but still ensures that you will be able to hire the best. I was very impressed with this book. I think it is one of the few books that goes beyond the current best practice to establish a new and higher standard. You would be very foolish if you did not read and apply the messages of this book. When the history of many companies is written in the future, a key turning point will be the day that TOPGRADING was first applied. I wish that I had had this book available 22 years ago when I established my consulting firm! I have recently discussed this book with a number of business executives, and they each found the book to be as valuable as I did. THIS BOOK WILL INCREASE THE CHANCES THAT YOU AND YOUR COLLEAGUES WILL BE BIGGER WINNERS THAN EVER BEFORE! Banish stalled thinking about hiring, and use this process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally someone who understands how business should be run., 27 April 1999
By A Customer
This book represents the mentality we should all be in if we want to succeed as leaders. All too often we settle for someone to "fill the position" rather than using effective tools to interview and hire the best employees. Mr. Smart provides us with a new perspective on how we should approach hiring people to work for us, this includes CEO's. The cost of mis-hires is staggering. Look around your own workplace and see if you can separate the A players from the C players. One thing stands out in my mind, C players don't hire A players. So if you have C player management you will have to settle with mediocrity until something drastic happens--topgrading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not only for interviewers, 5 July 2000
By A Customer
Dr. Smart's most recent work, Topgrading, ranks very highly on my list of books containing useful information for anybody wanting to succeed. Through much experience he has discovered what qualities it takes to become a winner (an "A" Player) and has been generous enough to share this information with the public. Although I am still a student, the book has given me extrememly useful knowledge as to what employers look for, what I need to prepare to discuss in an interview, and how I need to direct my life in order to reach my destiny. I thank him very much for his guidance in my job-seeking process and recommend the book to all.
A.W. John

5.0 out of 5 stars Topgrading is a fantastic book!, 22 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I have ordered copies for our corporate office and all our subsidiaries. Smart spells out a proven strategy for hiring A players and building dream teams. He shows not only how any company can gain a talent advantage but also how any manager who topgrades gains a career advantage.