5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected..
Published on 19 Jun 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars demon diary
When I bought this book, I thought it was pretty good, some parts are hilerious, but others can be a bit over the top and a bit too silly. It reminds me of when I used to write humor stories- sometimes you can just get too carried away with the humor, the same applies with this book and the later volumes.
So when I read this volume I thought, yeah, it's alright-...
Published on 25 Feb 2006 by Ms. C. Ridgley

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected.., 19 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
I first book this book because I though the cover art work looked beautiful, and the art work thoughout the book is beautiful. The storyline though isn't what I thought it would be, as I had never heard of this manga before. When I read it I actually found out that it is a cute shonen-ai (romance involving two men for those of you who don't know what this means) Its about a young demon lord called Raenef who doesn't know how to behave like a demon lord. He's way too cheerful for a start! His teacher Eclipse one of his subjects is trying to show him how he should behave and teach him how to do dark magic. But Raenef's feelings for Eclipse grow more than student/teacher.

3.0 out of 5 stars demon diary, 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
So when I read this volume I thought, yeah, it's alright- pretty good, certainly not the best though. Then I read the two little mini-stories at the back; Crystal Heart and Terra. I thought WOW! this is great!! Crystal Heart is very sad, I nearly ended up crying over it. (And I don't just do that over anything.)
It's a bit odd really, I bought the book thinking it would be good, and the mini-stories were better! I'm not saying Demon Diary is bad though, it depends on your taste in manga. I think if I had read this a year or two ago, I would have enjoyed it much more, the humor is a bit too over the top for me. I would recommend it to younger manga readers, it can be very funny in places.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive for a first taste!, 25 Aug 2005
Larunya (Solihull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
I originally picked this up as a present for my one of my friends, thinking it was more to her taste than mine. I got it home, thought "Hmm, this looks good..." and ended up reading it myself! Woops! ^^;
It was the first manga that I ever read. I absolutely loved it. I still absolutely love Demon Diary. I can't see how anyone couldn't. As a series it is beautifully drawn, laugh out loud hilarious at times and has a storyline so compelling it made me itch right until the very end. As a volume by itself, Volume 1 is an impressive debut introducing its best characters-Raenef and Eclipse.
I don't think I need to say any more-I very strongly recommend anybody to read this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars demon diary vol 1, 15 Aug 2005
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
Like a few of the other reviewers, I bought this book out of curiosity because the artwork looked to beautiful (it reminded me of Fruits basket!)
It's actually a rather touching story:
Raenef is in training to become a Demon Lord, but he's not really demon material. He's cheerful, kind, naive and gentle, and instead of striking terror into the hearts of people he'd rather make friends with them! His new demon tutor, Eclipse, has his work cut out for him.
When Raenef is introduced into the Demon's royal court, he makes a fool of himself and Eclipse by not knowing the proper etiquette, and a frustrated Eclipse is taunted by the whole court.
But as Eclipse becomes more attached to his sweet young prodige, he begins to realise that he doesn't actually mind Raenef-just the way he is.
Will he realise just how much Raenef means to him, or will his clueless little pupil drive him round the bend first?!
Read Demon Diary to find out!
PS-this book only lost it's 5th star because only half of it was the Demon Diary story-and the bonus stories weren't too interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and unusual, 29 Sep 2007
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
I have Demon Diary v.1 and v.2. The reason I brought it because I have so few manga comics in my possessions and because like anything to do with supernatural. This one is different, on first impressions I noticed the protagonist is bit odd, he looks a bit like a girl but this is typical of all bishonens and same with his teacher. I love the detail and how the characters are wonderfully drawn. Poor Raenef is trying to be demon lord but doesn't have the right qualities as Eclipse is ever patient teacher they both face numerous obstacles often with funny outcomes. There are extra stories near the end, Crystal heart should carry a warning as it has shonen-ai otherwise it's a one of doomed friendship stories whilst Terra I found ,sad the protagonist has to die, sacrificed to save the planet when really my guess it's the people's fault for causing pollution in the first place. I was disappointed there wasn't any extra stories in v2. My guess is if want to know how the story of Raenef unfold buy the whole set. Dislike the author's comments I'm sure readers are capable of making their own minds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Demon Diary Review, 17 July 2003
This review is from: Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 (Paperback)
What first brought my attention to this book was the cover art which I thought was really beautiful, i am a fan of shoujo manga and so i bought the first volume to find out what it is about. I was surprised to find that it is a sweet shonen-ai manga about a clueless demon lord named Raenef and his teacher Eclipse. Eclipse is respected and dignified and traditional whereas Raenef is unsure about himself as a demon lord, spends a LOT of time in chibi form (which is not a dignified form for a demon lord) and basicaly drives Eclipse round the twist.
As the cover art implies the artwork is continually gorgeous and detailed to the very end of the book. Saying this however the plotline is a little thin. Basically we are introduced to the charcters and as soon as you think the polt will thicken a little the story ends, and it is only about half way through the book. The last part of the book is two bonus stories 'Crystal Heart'and 'Terra' that have no real conection to the main story but as far as short stories go are good. So saying this story is a worth while addition to any shoujo or shonen-ai collection. I have found myself reading it over and over again and still taking my time with the plot and the illustrations.

Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1
Demon Diary Volume 1: v. 1 by LEE CHI HYONG (Paperback - 18 Aug 2003)
Used & New from: 0.01