5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, inspiring, professional, moving
This book was and is awesOMe!!! I say IS because it continues to be a great source of inspiration for me. As a counsellor it is great to read something that talks about the science as well as the spirit behind Kundalini. Reading peoples personal accounts of their own Kundalini Yoga experiences was very eye opening also.
This book would be handy for anyone wanting to...
Published on 26 Jan. 2010 by Anj 134

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going
The first third was interesting, the second two thirds was boring. No nice way to put it.

I struggled mightily with the last two thirds because it was technical, logical and intellectual, whilst the third third was based much more on personal experiences.

Published on 15 April 2012 by lovetolearn

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, inspiring, professional, moving, 26 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Kundalini Rising: Exploring the Energy of Awakening (Paperback)
This book would be handy for anyone wanting to know more about Kundalini Yoga. For anyone researching into its uses and thinking about incorporating it into their own therapy room I throughly recommend this!!!! what a great christmas present...thanks Eric!!
Love and Light

5.0 out of 5 stars Kundalini on the Rise, 29 Sept. 2010
Hello everyone,

I would like to first explain my background. I am a psychology post-graduate and am looking towards doing a PhD in the next two years or so, meditation/mindfulness has been a fervent interest of mine in an academic sense but I also, up until fairly recently, practiced Vipassana meditation for about five years, which is drawn from the Buddhist tradition. 6 months ago, I had unmistakable experience of Kundalini awakening and this has changed a great deal of things in my life in an external sense, but most evidently in an internal way.

I bought this book as a way to understand different perspectives on the Kundalini phenomenon as historically it has been presented in mythical, metaphorical or mysterious language, and normally carries with it many pre-modern metaphysical assumptions, which at first seem counter to the scientific tests and proofs many of us are used to. Even though I had been meditating for five years quite solidly (normally around an hour a day) , my awakening actually occurred one night after a party with a few friends, and I had smoked a small amount of hashish. After the party, I went to lay down on my bed and I begun to try out my mindfulness practices of just watching the energy inside which seems to always radiate in the places described by the hindu/tantric `chakra' systems. I felt so peaceful, and this peace grew and grew, until I felt like I was letting go of every tension inside me. With every letting go, there was a greater feeling of ecstasy; intense joy flowing around inside. This is what I recorded in my journal the day after:

"This power grew until I had the strange sense which is hard to describe, that I was standing in blissful motionlessness, but in the path of a runaway train! At that point, completely naturally, without any forcing or manipulation, my breath stopped. This curious event, which has happened to me a couple of times before, is normally accompanied with an enormous rush of overwhelming ecstasy. And this time was not different, but in another sense, very different. As the ecstasy overwhelmed me there was a feeling of an explosion, like something burst within me, I felt a hot and powerful force be released all through the core of me, it burst in my root (perineum) and flowed all the way though my body up into my head which was flooded with bliss currents. This feeling of something being blown up inside me, or something being released violently within was very distinct."

Since that night 6 months ago, things have been importantly different. I feel like a tap was turned on and since then, strong currents of blissful energy radiate all throughout my body. I have actually dropped my meditation practice because strangely enough, I feel like I am meditating all the time, although curiously I have known deep existential doubt and uncertainty at times as well. There are many long-term changes that I have not the space to document here but suffice to say, my experience is that kundalini is real, that it is life-changing and it is worthy of greater academic and popular interest.

I realise that I have said nothing of the book so far but I thought it was important to make potential readers aware of my situation. The book itself is quite a disparate collection of thoughts on kundalini. The first section is about personal experiences of kundalini awakening. These reports range from those that are similar to my own, to those that are wildly dramatic (well mine is a bit dramatic I suppose!), detailing astral voyages, meetings with light beings and so forth. Now, even though these experiences seem unbelievable, I was able to bracket them. Perhaps they are true, perhaps they are fanciful? Who knows? However, I do realise that I thought kundalini was possibly a fanciful idea before it happened to me. The first hand reports do paint a detailed, and interesting phenomenological tapestry indeed, although I think the far reaching conclusions that some of the contributors advance, normally presenting kundalini as an evolutionary force capable of leading mankind out of suffering, seem to me a bit premature. Do we really know yet? It certainly looks as though people experiencing kundalini have reported it to be developmental and positive, but I feel it prudent to remain agnostic as to what the implications are. We still know very little.

Section 2 is the `scientific' part of kundalini research, although as psychologist Olga Louchakova helpfully points out, less we remain in any doubt, "It is necessary to keep in mind that no scientific research has yet been conducted to evaluate the stages of the extremely complex process of spiritual awakening, to prove the existence of kundalini itself, or to suggest the measurable validity of her [its] connections with particular diseases" The chapter instead focuses mostly on the scientific study of kundalini yoga, which has many emotional, cognitive and health benefits which have been observed in randomized control trials. Whilst experimental environments may be the arena of kundalini future validation, as Gopi Krishna believed, at the moment the only evidence supporting the intuitive and personal experiences of kundalini is clinical practice, in which mental health practitioners are able to observe and record the experiences of those apparently urdergoing kundalini awakening. However, if the reader is looking for scientific validation, they are bound to be disappointed.

Section 3 is devoted to contextualising kundalini within broader cultural, historical and philosophical contexts ranging from the aforementioned Gopi Krishna, who believed kundalini is a latent evolutionary energy in humans, responsible for inspiration and genius, to a somewhat psychoanalytical take on the idea of the chakras by the most widely read writer from the transpersonal (and now integral) movement, Ken Wilber. There are some very insightful ideas and theories advanced here, despite more `grand visions' of the type mentioned above.

Section 4 ends with a collection of `musings from yogis': traditional (and not so traditional) teachers who might be thought of the only Kundalini experts we really have on the planet, having as they do thousands of years of collected experience and wisdom on the phenomenon. Whilst these teachers resonate with a clarity and lucidity that is lacking from many peoples' more DIY approach to the experience, it does remain to be seen how much traditional practices carry with them pre-modern cultural baggage which is not relevant or useful for people who do not practice in those particular spiritual traditions.

To sum up, I think this book is as good as it can be right now, given our lack of scientific knowledge on the subject. After having the experience myself, I am very excited as to what Kundalini really means, what its role might be in human development, and how and why the experience happens in the first place. These are all questions that, despite the range of theories advanced here, remain unanswered. I do feel though that until scientific approaches are able to verify kundalini, the internal laboratory of first-hand experience will be the main source of insight. Actually, many people say that kundalini marks a dawning of a new intuition, or inner guru or guide. So far, I'm not exactly sure, but I think I have detected a new clarity in me, as if there is a knowing deep within that imbues an amazing sense of everything being somehow holy and profoundly beautiful. Doing nothing special, like breathing, or even typing feels incredible.

Last thing to say is that if your intellectual curiosity is aroused by this book, or anything else you read on kundalini, teachers in the past have indicated that you are probably more `ready' to experience it than most. So go read Swami Satyananda Saraswati's "Kundalini Tantra" book, which is probably the most concise and clear handbook to the process- or find a kundalini teacher, although beware, there are many `new age' types that are peddling `kundalini yoga' which, although possibly related, might not be the real thing at all.

Enjoy finding out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kundalini Rising, 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Kundalini Rising (Kindle Edition)
Wow, what a fantastic book! I bought this on Kindle some months ago and loved every page. This book is crammed to the rafters with interesting information about the Kundalini experience and more. I have had personal experience of this sometimes overwhelming energy force moving through my body, though I had no clue what it was at that time. I could not put this book down, every day I would look forward to the time I could read a bit more of its fascinating information. This is a book that just keeps on giving, just when you think there could be no more to it, another wave of knowledge pours forth. Thank you for writing this, I love it.
I do have other books on this subject and though they are all a good read, this one takes the crown!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Kundalini Rising (Kindle Edition)
I'm 2 years in to what I now understand as a kundalini process and am dealing with some very difficult tensions and psychological problems. This kindle book along with Tara Springett's "Enlightenment Through the Path of Kundalini" have been rescue rings for me as I've been drowning in a sea of bad emotions. Both have given me some invaluable context to help me understand what on earth was happening to me and illuminated a path on which I can proceed and - you never know - find the pot of bliss and love in the end. Best of luck to all fellow travelers!

5.0 out of 5 stars I found the essays in this book really interesting and ..., 5 Aug. 2014
I found the essays in this book really interesting and bought the book having borowed a friend's copy when staying for the weekend. There are some valuable contributions which knit science and spirituality together for those who need empirical research to prove something is valid. I don't, but it's worth knowing such information is included for those who do.

4.0 out of 5 stars helpful perspectives, 4 Dec. 2012
A wide variety of experiences, perspectives and overviews are provided here. It is very helpful for those developing their own understanding of kundalini experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars kundalini rising, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Kundalini Rising (Kindle Edition)
When u have experienced this it's rewarding to find good information to help understand what u have experienced it is a good read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy going, 15 April 2012

Plus the second two thirds seemed to be approached from sometimes completely different angles, with one author's 'truth' conflicting with another author's 'truth'.

Could have been so much better. Nobody cares about what ideology anyone comes from. All we want is personal experiences. I don't care how many angels dance on the head of a pin or what their names are. I don't care about incredibly long words that sound like some 19th century theosophy - oh, what the heck, laugh at this:

p.248 'Vibrant well-being, overwhelming ecstasy, effulgently enlightened consciousness, the summit of human evolution, pathway to an endless eroticism, the Great Procreatrix, the deification, regeneration, and immortalization of the body, the somaticizing of spiritual aspirations, the teleological freeing of soul from flesh via the literal unwinding of the mortal coil into its constituent elements, the lost wisdom of the serpent of Genesis and the fuel of all human genius, the energy of the Dionysian revelry, the spiritual side of DNA, Christ's fiery baptism and that of His followers ever since, the seething cobra sheltering Lord Buddha - such are the ancient and modern claimed manifestations of kundalini, literally, "the mother of all creation and of all yogas."

Painful.

Way to go.

That's how to put people off.

I know Kundalini-awakened individuals can be complete ****, selfish, obsessed, s**-mad, jealous, angry, lacking self-discpline, whatever. Having ten thousand volts going through the body doesn't make anyone spiritual.

Or wise.

It's not all as bad as the above. But that last two thirds of the book drags. It makes no impact.

Could have been so much better if they'd tried to talk to ordinary humans struggling to find the rent, hold down a job and bring up kids.

Way to go!

Not.

Kundalini Rising: Exploring the Energy of Awakening
Kundalini Rising: Exploring the Energy of Awakening by John White (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2009)