on 28 July 2010
I would absolutely and highly recommend these teachings of Reggie's Rays to anyone interested in their spiritual growth who is feeling/or feels at times alienated from their body/other and the universe; who feel a longer for something that they cannot name, but stirs away within.
I have been doing the practices for about 3 months, the last month intensively on a solitary retreat. I intend to order Volume 2 and possibly to look in doing a retreat/study programme with Reggie Ray next year, if possible.
on 17 September 2015
this book is intended as an introduction to meditation- for that I'd recommend Mark Williams and Danny Penman's book "Mindfulness" which is secular with short guided meditations- perfect if you never meditated. In this book I've been challenged by Buddhist philosophy and meditations. Not that I haven't enjoyed it. It certainly opened my mind. I've listened to the whole book once through, bookmarked all of the meditations, now going back and practicing them. These meditations are highly symbolic - for example with the earth meditation where you meditate about falling rapidly down into the earth. But when you fall down 5,000 miles you're beyond the earth's Center and falling out toward the opposite side. This detail is overlooked. Next you fall infinitely downward "toward the origin of everything". At this point I plunged far beyond our fragile earth and into the void of outer space. Contextually it's clear we're meant to feel integrated into the earth: not flung into outer space and very cold at this point. So you have to bear with his imagery. If you can meditate on the intention rather than thinking literally on what he states (perhaps that's easier if you're an artist than a scientist) then it should work for you.