5.0 out of 5 stars Not Your "Run" of the Mill Running Book

-would like to be able to run well into your old age
-would like to improve your running form and have fewer injuries
-would like to have a more philosophical approach to your running
-would like to increase your overall health

Here's how the book roughly pans out:...
Published on 26 Sept. 2008 by graham78

-would like to be able to run well into your old age
-would like to improve your running form and have fewer injuries
-would like to have a more philosophical approach to your running
-would like to increase your overall health

Here's how the book roughly pans out:

-Chapter 1: compares power running to ChiRunning
-Chapter 2: goes into the 5 principles upon which TaiChi and ChiRunning are based
-Chapter 3: gets into the "inner" skills of ChiRunning

As you can see, the first 3 chapters lay out the philosopical foundation- that's so when you get to the specific techniques, they make sense.

Chaper 4: learn about the ChiRunning "focuses"- which are the specific physical and mental methods used to run more efficiently.

Chapters 5-9: covers program development, peak performance training and diet. Note: Chapter 7 also covers some info on common injuries such as muscle cramps, plantar fasciitis (also rec. The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution for more info on this), heel cord problems.

Chapter 10: how to incorporate the ChiRunning principles into your everyday life

As you can tell, ChiRunning, with its mind-body approach, is far from your typical book on running- and shouldn't be missed by any serious runner. Happy trails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Revolutionary, but Interesting, 27 Aug. 2011
Jeff Hodgson (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book out of interest for a holiday read, rather than to learn a new way of running. I have been running for over 20 years and could relate to many of the things that Danny highlights in his book. There are some good tips and pointers for people new to the running game - for example the use of your arms, focussing your mind whilst running and how to run hills, but I got a little distracted by his constant references to Chi and his way of holistic living. If you are an experienced club runner, you will probably learn very little from this book that you don't already know; however, if you are taking up running after a long break, or constantly suffer with running injuries then I suggest that this may be an interesting book for you to read. That said, do not take everything that he says too literally as what works for Danny may not necessary work for you. In sum, an interesting take on what works for Danny in his holistic world of Chi. A light read rather than a complete reference/study book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 July 2011
Prior to reading this book I was having a lot of aches, pains and stiffness in my lower legs. Since adopting the form explained in this book my legs feel really good both during and after a run. The focuses that are used I have also found really useful to keep my mind in the positive. This in itself makes running easier as it stops the mind drifting into thinking about little twinges while running that get worse purely because I'm thinking about them. Highly recommended and not an expensive book so what is there to lose?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great on running technique; mixed with irrelevant mysticism and new-age material, 18 April 2014
When I started to run I looked for a book that would teaching running technique. Most of the books that I found were either motivational or concentrated on training schedules. In other words, I found most books on running useless because I was already motivated, and I already knew something about building up fitness from other sports. This book was a rare exception. Rather than telling you why to run, Dreyer tells you how to run. I found it great and the biomechanics seem sound. I was able to run longer after adopting the techniques, and I found it particularly good on climbing hills.

The only significant bad side to the book is that all the good sensible information on biomechanics is mixed with a lot of material of extremely questionable value on energy flow and mysticism. It makes the book tough reading for anyone who doesn't want a lesson on the power of Chi. However, I am not aware of a better book on running technique, and I would therefore encourage others to skip over the mysticism and instead concentrate on the parts that deal with running technique.

3.0 out of 5 stars good points/ bad points..., 23 May 2009
numpty (Great britain) - See all my reviews
I initially thought this book/technique was great; but the more I learned about running the shallower it became...

GOOD POINTS-
1.high cadence, low impact, 'balanced' running
(reasonably well covered, but not exactly rocket science)
2. general stuff on diet, stretching, bio-mechanics
3.Shear joy and delight of running through nature (Good!)

BAD POINTS-
1.trying to force all shapes and sizes to run in exactly the same style
2.his tedious 'can do' life story and anecdotes! (all a bit happy clappy)
3.tendency to stray into mystical pseudo science

CONCLUSION-
I too get a sort of 'spiritual high' running through nature, which this book reflects the mood of pretty well. I have tho since read far more instructive books on bio-mechanics and Heart-rate monitor training. So a decent 'mood piece' for a new runner if you want to come from that angle, but ultimately not a lot of depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, 6 July 2006
Torben Breindahl (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I read many books about running and this is the first I have encountered that seriously discusses running posture / style and the biomechanics of running from a practical viewpoint. Don't be scared by the title "Chi Running" - there is nothing supernatural about these techniques - in fact it is as natural as it can be! However, we need to re-learn HOW to run (like we did when we were kids!) - in an effortless way, free of injuries. Danny Dreyer guides you through a system where you use the core (and core muscles) in a more effective way through a forward body lean. The idea of effective body movement through the use of core muscles is also found in Terry Laughlin: "Total immersion" - a guide on swimming.

I won't go into more detail here - I will leave that to the author of "Chi Running"!

The book is filled with additional information on running, but the instruction on the running posture is what makes it so special and worth studying. I try to put the instructions into practise, step by step, and I feel it's working. My speed has improved and I am much more aware of keeping a proper technique through the races, which makes running long distances more enjoyable.

The instructor in my gym (professional sport instructor) borrowed the book and started running again after a long break - now he is free from previous injuries that prevented him from running.

For those of us who don't have a Chi-running instructor nearby, the video instruction is necessary. It should be included with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has helped my running technique greatly., 28 May 2013
Chi Running has helped greatly to re focus my running. I used to go for a run more as a chore as I thought I needed to be healthy and fit. Now I aim more for focused technique and feeling more body and mind which in return makes me fit and more focused in general. Nicely written. Clear to understand. I would like a DVD to get some visuals of some of the techniques mentioned. Thanks for writing the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Makes a Lot of Sense, Could Be a Lot Shorter Though!!, 23 April 2014
I like this book, it makes a lot of sense…once you get to about chapter 4 or 5. It’s a real effort to read the first few chapters as I felt they really weren’t relevant. I just wanted to know how to run without injury (and hopefully cure my shin splints). The book has really helped me in cutting my time down by 1 to 2 minutes per kilometre. I was averaging 7:30 per kilometre I’m now averaging 6:16 per kilometre, even running in the 5 to 6 minute bracket…yup, I’m a slow runner ;)
Anyway, the book combined with other methods (foam rolling, compression sleeves) have helped with shin splints and my form has improved. I’m still working on my Chi Running form but I’m definitely better than I was a few months back. Overall I recommend reading this book, but like I said, once you get to chapter 4 or 5…the book could be about 50 pages shorter without all the letters from people he’s trained too :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but beware fluffy logic, 27 Jan. 2011
As the title suggests, traditional eastern notions of energy and general physics play a big part in the philosophy of Chi Running. For this reason some people may not be convinced of the positive effect that this 'way'of running will have for them.

Whilst I am actually convinced of that Chi Running works, I must admit that I actually dissagree with most of Eastern 'Science' and fluffy logic explanations. Truth is that there are actually many well established scientific / physiological reasons why the practices carried out in Chi Running are effective. (Anyone who has studied modern yoga, pilates, physiotherapy would probably tell you likewise).

So if the results are more important than the thought process you'll not regret changing your running to Chi Running; However, if you're like me and need to reasured by proven scientific rhetoric, then it may perhaps provide other simplified ways at looking at things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Have to admit this works, 5 Feb. 2009
Stuart Durrant (Berkshire England) - See all my reviews
I'll admit I'm sceptical by nature. I bought this knowing a fair bit about tai chi and martial arts but nothing about running. The style of the first three chapters are a bit cheesy New Age/American - but essentially I know what he is getting at.

The technique discussed is excellent - I was amazed at my improvement. I was able to cover longer distances without even getting out of breath. I am sure I haven't mastered it all yet but I genuinely improved my running after taking on the basics. Surpisingly highly recommended.

Chi Running: A Training Program for Effortless, Injury-free Running