5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 29 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Natural Radiance (Hardcover)
I have always appreciated Lama Surya Das' open, clear and often quite amusing style of writing, speaking and teaching. I am very glad to say that after reading and beginning to practice the various meditations that come on the cd with this beautifully made and well thought out practice guide that I am not disappointed in the slightest.
The book/cd is designed and presented as an authentic transmission of ancient practices that until very recently have never been shared openly in this way. Thanks to people like Surya Das and Namkai Norbu that is all seemingly starting to change in this "time of Dzogchen".
The whole thing is all about practice, their is an overview of each practice in each chapter(7 in all), a guided version of each practice by Lama Surya Das on the cd, and then in the book, some instructions for practicing each meditation on your own, pith instructions and a very nice resources section with recommended further reading at the end.
The meditations on the cd can be practiced in sequence or as stand alone practices. The cd is designed to be your guide to learning the practices with the book as a reference until you are ready to practice each one without the aid of the cd, perhaps extending the length of each practice etc.
I recommend this to anyone who is open of heart and mind and wishes for a very practical guide to meditation practice(s).

5.0 out of 5 stars now you see me... now you don't... now you do, 31 Oct 2010
This review is from: Natural Radiance (Hardcover)
I bought Surya Das' book/cd a few years ago and was very taken with his 'street-cred' version of Dzogchen. There was something about his American accent that made the teaching very accessible - and - just as important - fun! The one characteristic that all Tibetan monks seem to share is a playful sense of humour and SD has it in spades. His delightful throw away line, "Who's on first" referring to the classic Abbot & Costello routine while outlining a 'serious' meditation practice had me in stitches. I think it is fair to say that fun is an essential attribute for all would-be practitioners - something often overlooked in other systems.
Then I suddenly went off him and the whole idea of 'spacey' practices which seemed escapist and hallucinatory. I became obsessed with the various conspiracy theorists and immersed myself in a welter of allegedly secret information coming to light as we approach 2012. That is - until two nights ago when, after listening to a particularly depressing lecture, I found myself unable to sleep with a violent headache. I just happened to have SD's talks on my mp3 and, to try and take my mind off the 'baddies', played them as much for a minor diversion as anything else. And I am so glad I did! Within minutes I found myself relaxing and soon the headache began to clear and I fell asleep and slept soundly. I now see the absolute sanity of Dzogchen as well as the absolute need for this elegant meditation practice. Buy this excellent book - you won't be disappointed.

Natural Radiance
Natural Radiance by Lama Surya Das (Hardcover - 30 Sep 2005)
11.93
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available