5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Take on How to Relate
Published on 8 Feb 2007 by Contributor

Published on 2 Aug 2010 by Patrick Løye

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Perspective - But serve with a good helping of Salt, 2 Aug 2010
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
David Deida serves up a fascinating take on Masculinity in this work; outlining vital aspects, ideas and practises in a layout that's short, punchy and very much to the point. You don't have to wade through pages of text to gather the information you need out of this one. The book is essentially a colleciton of lessons and ideas, each with a few pages dedicated to their relative explanations. The entire work is unified under the masculine/feminine essence concept that Mr Deida outlines in the opening pages. So it's easy to read and even easier to leap back to for refences and reminders. So for a self-help book/guide - Excellent

The content, however, is a difficult one... The advice is practical, and the perspectives are an interesting alternative to what a lot of people are most likely accustomed to. These perspectives, however, MUST be seen as just that: perspectives. To assume the material is canon is a mistake, verging on potentially dangerous. It's easy to get roped into believing that his ideas are 'truth'... after all, he DOES paint a very convincing picture (and his wording does indeed imply this is 100% factual information).

Now, I know that made no sense, so here's an example:

Chapter 16 says "Women are not Liars", explaining that a woman's word is a reflection on her existing state of mind. In some ways, this is indeed true. I can think of many examples where women's words reflected the emotion more than fact - (When a woman comments how every boyfriend is the 'best bf ever' until he screws up and suddenly is the words biggest schmuck)... but at the same time, I can think of many which go against it. If you open your mind, you can generally find enough evidence to both prove and disprove his ideas.

Now, in terms of use; there's no denying that the above is useful wake-up call. After all, a lot of men take women too literally and get wound up by just this. That I grant... but that said - to accept this 100% is to go to the idea's polor opposite. To never take women literally is just as bad a mistake as always doing so. Obviously, the intention is that you're given an extreme alternative view as a way of counterbalancing an existing extreme view... but I find this risky practice, as its easy for a person to reject their old view (rightfully so) but adopt an equally flawed way of thinking - rather than attain a healthy middle ground - especially when there is no implication that this is anything other than the cold, hard truth.

And to be honest, some ideas are just downright unhealthy. The emphasis on 'masculine/feminine' essence which underlies the whole book is interesting, but dubious. To view women (or the 'feminine') as entirely different and attribute set behaviours to them (whilst assuming that men don't do this themselves...), is an easy way to stereotype and build a misguided view of the sexes. And as for suggesting that ejaculations 'weaken' a man's influence on the world... nothing like building an unhealthy attitude to sexual practice eh? I have not seen ANY evidence to support this (No, don't ask how I tested this. You will not like the answer)

Don't get me wrong - There's some wonderful nuggets of information here (such as the notion of 'purpose', living in the here-and-now and "unifying the heart and spine")... but its brought down by unhealthy ideas and perspetcives being shown as fact, making this book a bit of a minefield. Gentlemen, if you feel you can navigate the waters with an open mind - Then by all means, go for it. But take a ton of salt with you on your journey. Keep your feet on the ground by finding evidence to both prove and disprove Mr Deida's ideas. This allows you to extract the brilliant alternative perspectives wihtout getting caught up in the tides.

Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Take on How to Relate, 8 Feb 2007
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
Amazing perspective, difficult to find. I finally read it (so many friends already had and recommended it). I found it highly useful. Does not pander to women like Venus and Mars - much more "down to earth" and male targeted - yet women seem to find it insightful too. You dont usually get this info from your buddies or the women in your life - but once you learn it they can all benefit from what you can share. Take your game to the next level. Very liberating read. I am surprised there are so few reviews - this is a hidden gem - straight forward, easy to absorb and unpretentious!!! Enjoy the book, your relationships and your life purpose man.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent advice for men, 24 Oct 2006
Mike (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
Deida is a great writer on masculine issues. This book covers a range of practical and spiritual topics about what it means to be a man, expecially in relation to your woman.

Short chapters, good sound practical advice and easily accessible language make this a great "Guide to Being a Better Bloke". Some of the language is a bit California psych for my taste, but don't let that put you off.....read and learn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read,a must for self improvement junkies.., 3 May 2013
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
This book is very insightful and jam packed with wisdom..I will be reading it again soon to help it all sink in..love it

5.0 out of 5 stars Valuable insights, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
Nothing should be taken as gospel, and this book has proved insightful and passionate. It opened me to the expression of behaviours that I found frustrating when expressed by others and understanding the reasons for them, and from there a means to demonstrate knowledge of them. It has made my life better for reading it, and it is worth your time as part of a course of study into any aspect of male behaviour, either in theory or in practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaks to Every Man, 9 Dec 2010
Masterlovelife (London, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
David Deida speks to every man that is here now. The message is clear, the chapters are short...very short and concise...the way he speaks is very spiritual...not in the religion sense...but in the soul and energy sense.

I felt as if the book was written for me personaly.

The prose is very poetic...it just flows and gets to the core of our centre. he speaks to our hearts and our minds, David has written a very mature book on understanding the dinamics of romantic relationships.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great chapters others not so much..., 26 Nov 2007
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
If you haven't read any other books about being `alpha' or don't know of women(!), then this is a good book to begin your journey with, otherwise there is nothing new here.

The best thing about this book is how easy it is to read, short and punchy chapters. I particularly like the practical advice he gives about the body - control, breathing etc... The language is rousing and memorable; it makes it easy recall parts of the book when you need it.

The book starts at a tremendous pace and almost takes your breath away but then begins to ramble a bit.
Honestly a chapter called "What she says isn't what she means"(!) - hence my comment about not knowing 'of' women. The book could have been shorter.

If you are a young man this might not be the best book for you, the book makes too many assumptions and it is definitely for the grown and serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give your "gift" to the fullest..., 20 Dec 2011
Mr. A. D. Foster "Sheff" (South Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
This book is permanently on my reading list, I just restart it when I get to the end. Obviously you only apply the bits that work for you and that keep you clear on your own path, but there is so much in it, I have to keep going.

It's as good as I have found on how to be a real man in the world, never handing my power away and yet remaining genuine, open (even / especially when in pain), true to myself and as good as I can be for / to my partner. I often come across snippets where I think "if I'd known that then, we'd probably never have split up".

Even though I still sometimes fall into wuss mode (especially around a powerful feminine presence) I can now catch myself before too much damage is done and give my gift in return and to its fullest. E.g. I used to avoid women's "moments" when they are all chaos, confusion, emotion and untethered energy. I'd try to play it down, "calm down... let's think about it logically... what's wrong with you?... I'll come back later when you're more sane". I now see these times as gifts where all they often want is to know you will stand firm and be there. And when you do, they become more of what you want! Whisk her off her feet, pull her into you, dance! Tell me this is bad advice when dealing with a strong feminine essence!

I see it as my responsibility to be the best man I can possibly be at all times and in all situations. This book helps me do that!

5.0 out of 5 stars This bloke really gets it!, 9 May 2011
Anna (READING, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
I would highly recommend this book to both men and women. As a woman I found it such a revelation to finally understand what I wasn't happy about... although I knew I wasn't happy with my relationship, I couldn't quite put my finger on what the problem was. This book totally explained it, although didn't really explain how to resolve it... the answer to this was found in his other book aimed at women. For us, it saved our marriage. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly wise words, 7 Jan 2014
This review is from: Way of the Superior Man (Paperback)
If you can get past the woolly, vague first couple of chapters, there's some excellent guidance and insights to be had in the remainder of the book.

Reading chapters 16 and 19, 30 and 31 alone would be enough to prevent countless arguments between a man and his woman. I highly recommend that men regularly re-read these chapters.

I do have a number of gripes:

- Deida scoffs several times at the "New Age man". Yet the book is riddled with New Age buzzwords like "consciousness", "bliss", "One", "divine, "surrender" etc.
- Some of the chapters are essentially just rehashed duplicates of ones that have come before.
- On the back cover, he calls the book "The Ultimate Spiritual Guide for Men". That's just downright arrogant. No one book (apart perhaps from the Bible) can claim to be this.
- It ends with a bit of a whimper - a one-paragraph chapter full of esoteric, vague prose of that does nothing to sum up the teachings

Way of the Superior Man
Way of the Superior Man by David Deida (Paperback - Oct 2004)