5.0 out of 5 stars Twists and turns and a satisfying conclusion., 8 Oct 2001
By A Customer
I could not wait for this book. I drove people mad with my ravings over this series. when I finally got this last part of the trilogy ( Age of Misrule books; Worlds End and Darkest Hour are the first two) they were hoping for some peace and quiet. No chance, I'm nagging them to read it now.
So many questions still lay unanswered from the first two books and so many options for the five main characters seem to have been closed, but we are dealing with legends and folktales here so anything could happen.
Always Forever is a great read and a great finale for this series. I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't read it but Church, Ruth, Ryan, Shavi and Laura have a battle of a lifetime ahead, even after all the trials that they have endured during the first two novels. Some characters are the same as the previous books, others take on a new cast, though I was a little surprised that Laura chilled out as much as she did. However, given what she endured, it was definately a life changing experience.
The references to the UK's own mythology and folklore are still there ( that research must have taken AGES!) and King Arthur does appear ( in one form or another) so I was happy. You'd be surprised how much within the book are real legends, if that's not an oxymoron?!
The ending rounds off quite afew loose ends ( who or what was the instrument used by the Tuatha to murder the nearest and dearest, why Niamh has followed Church through his life, who is the traitor - which is obvious when you think about it ) and it opens a possibility of a follow on series. You'll see what I mean.
All in all, fantastic story, thanks to Mark for a great, thought provoking read and I wish we had more fabulous beasts around.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling Conclusion, 7 Oct 2001
In a time when most authors seem determined to stretch their story ideas out for eternity (Mr Jordan, I'm talking about you!)It's fantastic to find an author who gives me what I want, a trilogy! Not just any old trilogy either.
If you've read the first two volumes of this tale then you won't need to know anything other than it's everything you hoped for!
The Evil God Balor has set up his nest in the heart of London, his dark forces are ravaging the countryside, Great Britain has been thrown back into a new dark age and beyond. All that stands between us and the darkness are the Brothers and Sisters of Dragons, heroes of prophecy who are our only hope. The only problem is all five must face the enemy at the end, however two of them have already paid the ultimate sacrifice at the end of book two leaving only three to continue the fight. So the war is lost already surely? But in this book, nothing is what it seems....
It seems pointless to spoil the plot because you will enjoy every page turning moment of it. Church, Veitch, Ruth, Laura and Shavi have entered my own personal hall of great fictional heroes and despite what I said about liking trilogies and trilogies alone, a second series would be a very welcome addition to my bookshelves and the last few pages hint that may be exactly what the author has in mind.
If you have got to the end of this review only to now tell me you haven't even read book one! Then what are you waiting for, Book one World's End awaits and you can look forward to three books of high adventure, drama, horror and heroes. While for me, I shall just have to content myself with re-reading them, until Mark Chadbourn takes me into his world again with his next exciting adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent conclusion to a magnificent trilogy, 17 May 2004
M. Davidson (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
With Always Forever, Mark Chadbourn reaches the end of his Age of Misrule trilogy with a flourish, giving his hordes of readers the fantastic finale we'd all been hoping for.
Times seem dark for a world altered by the return of the old Gods and the old demons - the beings known as Fomorii have brought about the return of Balor, the Heart of Shadows, the source of all evil, and by the Celtic festival of Samhain - also known as Hallowe'en - his return to full power will mark the End of Everything. The Brothers and Sisters of Dragons, humanity's guardians against the old powers, are scattered and broken, some missing and some presumed dead from a terrible battle. As the five attempt to bring themselves back to full strength, each of them undertake a mission to reunite and gain the backing of the Tuatha de Danann, the only beings able to help them against the Fomorii. And not everyone will survive.
After the catastrophic events of Darkest Hour, I wasn't at first sure how there could be any story at all in Always Forever - the premise can be summed up in the words 'Everyone's doomed.' But somehow hope is restored as the Brothers and Sisters of Dragons heal themselves and reunite for a final, cataclysmic battle so huge it takes several chapters - which is entirely worth it.
All the questions raised in World's End and Darkest Hour are answered here - the true manipulators of the Brothers and Sisters of Dragons, the one who will in the end betray them, the one who will die - and everything is tied up without seeming silly or rushed.
Each of the characters reaches the potential that the Blue Fire encapsulates, as Church embraces her destiny, Ruth grows into the Wiccan power she was destined for, Shavi takes a step towards his personal redemption, Ryan becomes a finely-honed warrior and Laura finally learns to be at peace with herself and the world. This results in a book that seems different to the other two because the characters have taken on such changes, but at the same time there is a thread running through them that remains true to their original values.
The final moments of the book add another, massive twist that tells you that the story of this changed world is far from over, in such an audacious piece of plotting that it literally took my breath away.
As stated in the title, this book is simply magnificent. I just can't wait for The Dark Age sequence, which continues the story of this world gone mad.
As long as Mark Chadbourn keeps writing, I will keep reading. This man is a genius and should be declared a national treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars cannot put it into words, 26 Nov 2001
The most riviting book that i have read since David edding's Begariad and Mallorean, and Mark Anthony's Beyond the Pale saga. I could not put this down. Mark Chadbourn's work had me enthralled from the first page to the last and had me begging for more. I have been going crazy the past few weeks not being able to find a review of his next book anywhere. Thankyou Amazon and thankyou other reviewers. You have certainly settled my mind, and to all of you folks out there that haven't read previous Mark Chadbourn book's I advise you strongly to move your behinds and go fetch. It'll be the best thing that you do today..
believe me

4.0 out of 5 stars Fimbulwinter Draconis, 28 Feb 2011
This review is from: Always Forever (Age of Misrule) (Paperback)
Thomas the Rhymer, fancy mythological ships, and more, as the Brothers and Sisters stage a guerilla campaign to try and drive out the evil beasties and others that would like a big nasty void to happen.

Fighting a fimbulwinter with no technology is not a lot of fun, so they have to use their powers to see what they can do about getting some airpower support, in the form of large, flying lizards, who share the same magical source of energy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A highly satisfying end to an enthralling series., 28 Nov 2001
If you are a fan of adventurous modern Science Fiction you'll love this series.
Chadbourn manages to transport you from your day to day hi-tech world to a devestating turn of events where this existence is turned up-side down without any precognition from established society. So it's left to an ordinary bunch of non-volunteers to make sense of chaos and find the strength to battle the horrors and the beauty of a rapidly changing world.
The use of well researched ancient mythology interspersed with the ease modern society crumbles when faced with the forces of the unknown makes this a future classic.
If you appreciate the likes of The Anubis Gates, Radix etc, you'll buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-researched and riveting. A VERY talented writer., 17 Jan 2002
A gripping and mind-blowing conclusion to a fantastic series. I haven't devoured a series like this since Harry Potter or anything by David Gemmell. Mark Chadbourn REALLY knows his Celtic history and myth, and interweaves this with strong believable characters who manage to enthrall whilst still remaining very human and flawed - and very close to home in their attitudes and tastes etc. The result of this characterisation is that it's very easy to imagine yourself in their shoes undergoing this cataclysm - which helps to make this book and the entire series so strong.
I really enjoyed seeing the over-regulated society we live in collapsing - one in the eye for all those nimby control-freaks out there! :~)
All in all, this book and the entire Age Of Misrule series would be cheap at twice the price. Very enjoyable and a series that will be reread again and again.
What's he doing next is what I want to know!

4.0 out of 5 stars Always Forever (Age of Misrule), 31 Aug 2014
This review is from: Always Forever (Age of Misrule) (Paperback)
great books, I would recommend the set

5.0 out of 5 stars The Story is just as detailed as the Cover, 10 Nov 2004
The cover lured me to it, the story kept me hooked, enough for me to get a tatoo. It has been my obsession for a year.
Luvnhugs
Clare, Sister of Dragons

Always Forever (Age of Misrule)
Always Forever (Age of Misrule) by Mark Chadbourn (Paperback - 1 July 2009)