on 17 December 2014
I received it one day before expected. it was delivered in protective package.

I ordered for the brand new one, hardbook cover. no problem, it feel nice holding it. Over 400 pages I haven't start yet but I had a glimpse look it seems really interesting.

Im apostate myself and have some experience, not as big as other but I can remember it very well and have it in my head everyday.

I like reading other apostates' stories Ive read some on internet. I feel so connecting with such stories cos of what happened to me as apostate. I came across this book and thought I should get this book, im not a fan of book reading but if its something I have in common this is one of them so I feel its the right book to have.

Im positively sure I will enjoy this book and im sure for other apostates too even if they have been it all themselves. Apostates can be lonely and this book should help make us feel we r not lonely and everything.

Ive got books in the past but they r all gone now. this is my only book at home and I think it will be last one and only ever til I die.
on 5 July 2005
I found this book astonishing. It is a fair and balnced collection of essays of people who have left islam for various reasons sometimes to be atheists or to follow another religion, and the enormous difficulties this caused. In the west we take it for granted we may have as much or as little of any religion we care for and mostly we try to respect peoples opinions on this, this book is an insight into an alien world where such freedom of conscience is mostly not tolerated at all. The stories can be very moving, poignant, sad, and sometimes full of hope. What comes through is the social cruelty of islam and how muslims are themselves victims of their religion, but once they realize and want to do something about it, that is when their problems really begins. It makes you glad you are not a muslim
88 comments| 145 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2013
This book contains the thoughts of many Muslims who became disillusioned with Islam. They seem to me to be very brave. If I had to give examples of moral courage in the modern world I would point to them. I see no parallels (unfortunately) in Western society..
on 20 January 2016
Very interesting and sobering reading. These are brave people from a variety of backgrounds who have faced ostracism and violence simply for not believing the ridiculous and stifling claims of Islam. Anyone who cares about freedom and civilised behaviour needs to be aware of this awful treatment of people and vigorously support apostates. Given the plague of multiculturalism in the West, I don't have much hope :I fear these brave people will continue to be sidelined for 'not being conducive to community relations' or similar.
on 7 November 2010
Beautiful, moving, heartbreaking and very brave. Ibn Warraq is a beacon of educated light in some dark times.
on 15 January 2016
An absolutely must read , honest , true even if it hurts . An Extremely important book ! Hard to put it down , hard to take it all in - but it must be done. Finally a voice in the otherwise non existing discussion
on 13 July 2015
As an apostate myself I can only feel shympathy and empathy towards all the brave contributors to this insightul book. I urge Muslims, apostates and those considering reverting to read this.
on 23 July 2015
Great book, a must read!