4.0 out of 5 stars More of an advanced bible than a step-by-step starter
As I say in the title, after buying this book I feel satisfied with having it to refer to should I have a problem. I have a programming background - so I'm able to comprehend PHP and MySQL as a similar principle but with different syntax. However, if you're a beginner to programming and/or PHP, then I'd probably suggest you'd be better off looking elsewhere...
Published on 17 July 2008 by Mr E

Published on 8 Jan 2010 by Zorba of Belfast

2.0 out of 5 stars Author or publisher can't be bothered to publish errata!! (and boy do they need to), 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional (Paperback)
I come from a programming backround, however I did struggle a bit with this book to begin with. What's missing is some practical exercises so as the reader can become familiar with the syntax and concepts of PHP through doing (and thinking!), rather than solely thinking. Once I'd gone through the tutorial at php.net, and written a few 10-line PHP utilities as part of another, mainly non-PHP, project, then I was able to come back to this book and get far more out of it.

I probably would have scored it a three/three and a half based on the experiences outlined already, were it not for the following:

There are a number of typo's, errors and mistakes, which are not the end of the world on their own - but what really bugs me is that the author and/or publisher have an errata page up on the Apress site, but THEN DO NOT DISPLAY ANY ERRATA THAT HAVE BEEN ENTERED !!!

I've put a few errata on there, and they do not appear underneath in the section for "confirmed errata". In fact this section is empty. Are they really saying that NO-ONE has been able to point out any errata that they agree need to be corrected? I know not every erratum will be sustained, but come on, do they really expect us to believe that EVERY SINGLE person who claims to have found an error in this book (and there are plenty, read these reviews) is WRONG !!

Don't be so arrogant....

Or are they filtering out the errata because there are too many of them, or for whatever other reason. OK, if you don't want errata DO NOT HAVE A ERRATA PAGE !!
Otherwise you are abusing people's time, those who want to help you improve the book and are prepared to take the time to (essentially) proof-read the book for you (for free).

Someone else like me could come along, not see that I have already entered errata X, and waste their time by putting it on again....

4.0 out of 5 stars More of an advanced bible than a step-by-step starter, 17 July 2008

My verdict - this is a great "bible" of examples and best practices for the novice programmer, but, if you're just getting started, look for other alternatives :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice referance, 12 Jan 2010
R. Hofmijster (Aalborg, DK) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a book that will take you trough php and mysql by creating some example application out of the book then this might not be the right book. But if you are allready a bit familiar with php and mysql this book is absolutely great! By just reading it onces you will learn the endless possibilities you have with mysql and php. After that it serves as a great reference. Whenever i'm coding I often find myself looking things up in this book. If I want to do something but dont know exactly how, I dive into the book. If I need a little refreshment on a function or statement in php, I dive into the book. A very very good referance guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor book, 16 Jun 2009
This is certainly not a book for a beginner learning php for the first time, it's not even adequate as a reference manual. It's not just the mistakes and poor examples and explainations that other reviews have mentioned. a considerable number of important functions are completely missing for example the book covers file system functions and explains rmdir() in depth and gives an example script yet astonishingly mkdir() is not covered at all or even mentioned once in the book! This is only one example of quite a few remarkable omissions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to start with, 8 Jun 2009
This is a great book to start with. I'd recommend that you start with a little guide (just to know the basics of the basics of PHP ;)) and then use this book! There is a lot of stuff in here, and the author keep telling you which chapter you will learn more about a specific thing. Its very good, because they you dont fell confused about some strange code lines or something like that.

If you have tried programming of some sort, then go for this book. Its cheap, has a lot of material and covers a very wide spectrum of PHP!

Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional
Beginning PHP and MySQL: From Novice to Professional by W. Jason Gilmore (Paperback - 1 Mar 2008)