4.0 out of 5 stars Great for new to intermediate programmers
Published on 17 April 2012 by Mr. M. Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing
I have previously in life learnt to program in Basic, Pascal, C, assembler on the Z80, non-OOP PHP and Javascript. Now that I had a project requiring a GUI I thought learning QT might be a good first step. So I ordered this book, and was quickly let down by it.

Published 11 months ago by Uffe N

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for new to intermediate programmers, 17 April 2012
Mr. M. Richards "Mike" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm not a professional programmer but I do need to write software ocasionally for specific projects. I recently needed to build a simple search engine and a CD launcher application for which I chose to try Qt. I used several publications to help me through the Qt learning process but I found Foundations of Qt to be far and away the most helpful. The presentation style and examples were excellent and enabled me to jump in to particular topics and learn the basics very quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to Qt, 10 Dec 2011
Daniel Ruus (Nyköping, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foundations of Qt Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source) (Paperback)
Overall I find this book very easy to read and an excellent introduction to Qt. Some of the sentences can be a bit difficult to understand at first, and requires a reread, but all in all it is a good effort from my fellow countryman.

The part of the book I was least impressed with was chapter 13 about databases. It could certainly do with a bit more information overall, but the worst part was the complete lack of information about how to get Qt to work with different databases, such as SQL Server or MySQL. The latter requires quite a substantial amount of work to get going - not a particularly difficult task, but it isn't straightforward. I don't expect the author to hold our hands here, but a note mentioning that Qt doesn't have built-in support and a reference to some suitable material would certainly have helped.

I was contemplating giving the book 3 stars, based on the above, but on further thought I upped this to 4 stars. The book did become easier to read after a few chapters (improved proof-reading or just me getting used to the authors writing style?), and in retrospect the niggles above about databases aren't that serious after all.

I therefore wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to anyone interested in learning Qt programming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, covers the foundamentals with good examples, 6 May 2013
Nicely written, covers the fundamentals with good examples. I have about 7 years of commercial experience in C++ and learning the basics through this book was easy.
I found that it covered things in more detail or with better examples than some of the online docs/resources and official API/SDK (although QT is very very well documented in the first place).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Oct 2014
Gary Morris - See all my reviews
Fast delivery, item as described

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 27 July 2011
Nice book for people which are not english natives. Very easy to read, lot of examples. I recommeend it for everyone who wants to learn QT.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointing, 4 Jan 2014

The examples are good and plentiful, but the code snippets presented in the book are presented with very little indication as to what the file should be called, and with little indication as to which snippets belong in the same file. For someone proficient in C++ this might not be a problem, but it is for me. I find myself swapping between the code in the book, the code I have typed in myself and the code I downloaded from the publishers web site.

And in some places, the code presented in the book is slightly different to the code on the publishers web site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Books, 13 Feb 2010
J. Davison "julruthie" (Windermere) - See all my reviews
I ordered this as a birthday present for my son but delivery took longer than stated which spoiled the gift. He is happy with gift and it was received in good condition.

Foundations of Qt Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source)
Foundations of Qt Development (Expert's Voice in Open Source) by Johan Thelin (Paperback - 1 Aug 2007)