5.0 out of 5 stars Bookshelf Essential
There's a plethora of books and Internet resources on the subject of designing websites with Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) but whether you are just starting out as a complete novice or have solid, intermediary experience this book offers a very useful grounding in theory and application.
The foundation chapter provides a clear and easy to understand introduction...
Published on 22 Feb 2006 by K. Dawson

3.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints
As the majority of web designers and developers will testify, when it comes to creating CSS-based websites that adhere to current web standards, the Internet is currently a somewhat precarious mine field, littered with numerous technological tripwires and unexploded browser bugs just waiting to blow your careful positioning to smithereens.

Fortunately, due to...
Published on 27 May 2006 by David Swallow

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic real-world solutions, 15 Sep 2007
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
I had originally thumbed through this book, subtitled "Advanced Web Standard Solutions" in my local bookstore and shrugged it off as covering pretty much most of what I'd already digested from other popular CSS books. It wasn't until a friend showed me some cool techniques from the book that I properly read though it and regretted not buying it sooner!

Though it's aimed at the intermediate web designer, it is well written and I would certainly recommend this as an essential buy for all web designers. The book begins with Clear:Left's Andy Budd provides most of the content starting with a chapter about well-structured and meaningful mark-up. It's these best practices that will help catapult you into the realms of CSS Master! It then recaps on the box model, positioning and floats, making it easy for a beginner to pick up this book and run with it, before moving into the techniques, with clear and concise examples, including a couple of good chapters on bugs and hacks.

The final two chapters are where Simon Collison & Cameron Moll step in to demonstrate these examples in two real-world showcase websites. This book is absolutely the best book currently on offer for CSS web design.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best CSS book i've bought so far., 17 Jun 2007
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
I've spent a small fortune over the last 6 months on web design books. I've got a little from each of the books that I purchased - but this is the best CSS one by far. I keep finding myself dipping in everytime i'm struggling with something in my stylesheets.

It's structured like a standard reference book, with sections on various topics (floats, positioning, box model etc.). However the last two chapters are devoted to a step-by-step walkthrough of an example web design project. The dual-format works really well and adds an important dimension to the book. The fact that the example projects are written by those doyens of dope design Cameron Moll and Simon Collison is an absolute bonus.

Whilst it is getting a bit long in the tooth now and could do with an update to reflect IE7, it is still my go-to reference, and one that I would recommend to anyone who already has a basic grasp of css. C'mon Mr Budd - time to put pen to paper again...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for getting you going in the right direction, 7 Sep 2006
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
After purchasing this for our work, I myself was a little disappointed that most of the content of the first 5/6 chapters was stuff that I was already doing. I'm reasonably good with CSS so I was looking for something to make me 'Master'. As it is, it covers a lot of things I've been explaining to junior developers and is a good resource for them and there have been several 'Oooo I didn't know you could do that' moments for me as well. There is also a lot of 'work arounds' which some developers might find offensive.

If you're already into CSS then there are probably better books around, but as a resource for someone who's really getting to grips with CSS and needs 'showing the light' then this is an ideal purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternatives rather than hacks is the name of the game, 25 Feb 2006
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
There are a million books out there to do with web design and thousands to do with CSS and the current movement of standards-based web design techniques but this book, for me, has stood out amongst the others primarily because of its approach to explaining the common problems web designers seem to encounter all the time when using CSS to seperate content from design. Add to that the fact that its laid out clearly and written plainly and you are guaranteed this will be your most dog-eared reference for your next CSS-based web dev project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent no nosense approach, 20 Dec 2006
Justin Taylor "Justo" (Sydney) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
I am very happy with this book. Clear and concise with good examples and tips on dealing with cross browser performance issues. The book is supported by a small website with Errata correcting the small mistakes in the print much better than many other I.T. books.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most helpful books ever, 1 Nov 2008
Mr. J. Eyermann (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
I was given this book as a gift 2 years ago as a Christmas gift. This book along with "Dom Scripting" by Jeremy Keith are my two most used books relating to webdesign. I have just come across this book again in Amazon and felt the need to write this review.
You will have needed to know the basics of CSS before using this book, but upon finishing this book you will know most of what needs to be known about how to use CSS in the best possible way.
Buy it now! 10 stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Left me wanting more - but in a good way., 18 May 2008
Mr. Kenneth Bearman "zakala" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
Great book and does pretty much what it says in the title. I bought this book hoping for some real world examples of how to use CSS to develop sites that work across browsers and to improve my techniques. I wasn't disappointed - I read this cover to cover in only a few sittings and it's been an invaluable reference since.

I would have loved more examples and ideas to develop, but not to the extent that I felt the book was poor value. I can see me referring to this book repeatedly in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately suits the title, 3 April 2006
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
CSS Mastery definately lives up to its title. This book has made me realise that I didn't know as much about the use of CSS as I thought I did. The techniques covered are clear and easy to understand yet put a great deal of power at the developers fingertips.
As well as detailing the techniques, where Andy's book's strength lie is in detailing how to make your designs as cross-browser friendly as possible, without breaking the design and whilst ensuring the site will still work in future browsers.
I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to fully understand CSS, even if they think they already do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for anyone serious about web design, 16 April 2006
S. Garcia "designer" (NYC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
When I first opened this book, I was pretty darn clueless about CSS and hopelessly addicted to tables for layout. My code was sloppy and I never achieved the level of control I wanted in my designs. After a few weeks coding with this reference at my side, that has all changed. I can honestly say that I feel like a certified Jedi Master of CSS now. Cascading styles are under my control!

Buy this book. You won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - highly recommended..., 25 May 2006
Mark Wheeler (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions (Paperback)
I have been messing around with web design for a few years, and recently have started to take it a little more seriously and actually try to earn some money out of what has been, up to now, little more than a hobby.

I bought this book along with The Zen of CSS Design and Eric Meyer's two books on the subject in an attempt to increase my knowledge of the subject. This was the first book of the four that I read.

In my opinion this covers all of the topics covered in Meyer's two books in a far more succinct fashion. There is less bloat and more focus on the facts but with sufficient background detail and explanation to ensure that you can follow and understand the examples.

I also feel that it takes a more structured approach to teaching & explaining CSS than the 'Zen' offering and concentrates more on the mechanics rather than pure design, but it does certainly open your eyes to the possibilities.

Whilst not recommended for a complete novice in web design, if you are used to hand-coding or modifying the code that Dreamweaver / FrontPage / whatever churns out then the section on targeting your CSS and a willingness to try a few things out for yourself *should* be all you need to make a significant step forward with your web design.

It worked for me :)

CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions by Simon Collison (Paperback - 13 Feb 2006)
Used & New from: 0.01