5.0 out of 5 stars The First Book in the Aurelia Marcella Mysteries
Published on 29 May 2008 by J. Chippindale

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort this out
My wife bought this on Kindle and then discovered she had already got the same book under another title. This has been highlighted by another reviewer, but that review has incorrectly been given 5 stars.
Published 5 months ago by Bernie R.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Book in the Aurelia Marcella Mysteries, 29 May 2008
J. Chippindale (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The author Jane Finnis was born in Britain, in what she describes in her own words as "God's Own Country, Yorkshire." As I too am from Yorkshire it is not a statement I am about to argue with. She studied history at London University and then stayed on in the capital and worked for some years as a freelance broadcaster for the BBC. She is now settled back in Yorkshire, close to the coast. She has always had a love of the Roman era and when she finally found time to do some writing, it seemed to be the obvious period in which to set her books.

The book is set in Roman Britain in 91 AD. The country of Britain has never really bowed to the yoke of Roman authority and even though it is almost 50 years since the Roman invasion, many of the tribes in the north refuse to take up the ways of their Roman masters like those in the south of the country.

Tension is high and a young innkeeper from Italy, Aurelia Marcella, who runs an inn called the Oak Tree on the road to York finds herself under attack from a native war band, whose aim in life is to get rid of all things Roman. A traveller is almost killed close to the inn and he and Aurelia try their utmost to track down the rebels and their mysterious leader.

I don't know whether it is because the book was set where I was born and still live but I enjoyed it tremendously. Having a woman as the lead character was I believe inspirational, particularly when other characters from other author's placed in similar backgrounds, i.e. Falco, Gordianus, etc. are all male and although Falco the character of Lindsey Davis has visited Britain he is usually to be found in the streets of Rome. A series of Roman mysteries set in England is I believe an exciting format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sort this out!, 11 April 2014
I feel cheated! First published in 2003 in the USA, this book is exactly the same as 'Shadows in the Night' 1 published in 2012 in the UK. Why has this been done without some indication for the buying public in the notes? This is an excellent book, well-researched with accurate period detail, but I'm left out of pocket...

1.0 out of 5 stars Sort this out, 23 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A Roman I would like to meet, 26 July 2011
Belvidera (North East England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Get Out or Die (Paperback)
I have to admit I am not much one for Romans. I spent half my childhood holidays being dragged around Roman sites and I hope I have a proper appreciation for their building and drainage skills, not to mention their sculpture and pots. I have read Lindsey Davis with enjoyment, but for the most part my historical preference lies in the mid 18th Century and beyond. That said I am very glad to discover Jane Finnis. Her heroine, Aurelia, the innkeeper, is a woman I should like to have met. She has a family and a context and a world that the reader is brought into. I love the Yorkshire setting and the way the author weaves the familiar into a wild-west past where the Brigantes lurk in the woods waiting to take back their land from the Roman settlers. Aurelia's world is painted so vividly that you can imagine it as you walk among the trees that still stand today. I am looking forward to reading the next books in the series. I want to know more of Aurelia and her world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Out or Die, 25 Aug 2014
Already published as "Shadows in the Night". Bought same book twice. Feel cheated. 1 star for cheek. It's a decent read but renaming it doesn't change the plot.

Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella Roman)
Get Out or Die (Aurelia Marcella Roman) by Jane Finnis (Hardcover - Dec 2003)
Used & New from: £2.27