4.0 out of 5 stars Next Generation Leader
One of the benefits of a day off is a chance to read. I've just finished Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley. I loved this book for the constant nuggets that you find in it. Here's a few to get your started:

Published on 3 Jun 2010 by C. Kidd

1.0 out of 5 stars still do not have it
It is September 5th, 2014. I still do not have the book and nobody contacted me about it. I am very disappointed with this purchase.
Published 3 months ago by adam adamus

4.0 out of 5 stars Next Generation Leader, 3 Jun 2010
C. Kidd (Dibden, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Next Generation Leader: Five Essentials for Those Who Will Shape the Future (Hardcover)

The two best secrets of leadership are these: the less you do the more you accomplish, the less you do the more you enable others to accomplish.

What are the two or three things that you and only you are responsible for?

I once heard John Maxwell say, "You are most valuable where you add the most value."

Leaders provide a mental picture of a preferred future and then ask people to follow them there.

Max De Pree made this observation: "An unwillingness to accept risk has swamped more leaders than anything I can think of."

Uncertainty is a permanent part of the leadership landscape.

People will follow you in spite of a few bad decisions. People will not follow you if you are unclear in your instruction, and you cannot hold them accountable to respond to muddled directives.

The best thing to do sometimes is to open up the cage and face the 500 pound gorilla. He's going to come after you anyway, so you might as well let him out.

Character is the will to d what's right even when it's hard.

A set of great quotes that I'm going to be grappling with over the next few weeks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Applied common/spiritual sense!, 31 Dec 2010
This book is very readable.... I read it in an afternoon over the Christmas break & was very pleasantly surprised at that! There are 5 principles unpacked, none of which would take any Christian worker/leader by surprise that they are there. The book is written in a style which makes you want to read what is coming next & has good illustrative points to enhance it. I enjoyed it so much that I immediately bought one for each of the leaders on my leadership team. Buy it, you wont regret it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, 24 Dec 2013
I have listened to this in the car several times now and its great material to think and chew over. There are some top tips for improving as a leader, suggested ways of thinking about different things that help to see my role in a different light. It's also very listenable and grounded in real stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical, Spiritual advice for leaders, 12 Jun 2013
After spending a fair amount of my Masters reading books on leadership I can honestly say I wish I'd had this one to refer to! A warm, practical and spiritual guide to what makes a good leader tick and a good grounding for all of us called to any form of leadership in business or ministry.

One of the pleasant aspects of this book is how Stanley's advice, rooted firmly in Biblical narrative, is transferable between 'sacred' and 'secular' occupations. It's makes clear yet unforced connections between our own integrity as Christians and our ability to function as effective leaders. Many books of this type seem to try and shoehorn Biblical examples into contemporary living, whereas Andy Stanley uses the stories and characters of Scripture to both ground and exemplify the gifts and requirements of Leadership.

The narration is clear, easy to listen to, but also keeps one's attention. It made very good in-car listening, with lots of parts grabbing my attention.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this free as part of Christiaudio's Review opportunities, but this did not in anyway influence my opinion of this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars still do not have it, 5 Sep 2014