5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent addition to my library
Published on 30 Nov 2010 by Ryuto

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as moving toward stillness.
I ordered this book after reading Movingtoward stillness, which I found to be a very good, well written book, and this book is written quite well but the anther does seem to like Moan about previous encounters in the past.
Published 1 month ago by Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent addition to my library, 30 Nov 2010
Ryuto (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essence of Budo: A Practitioner's Guide to Understanding the Japanese Martial Ways (Paperback)
I have to say that this book is nothing new from Dave Lowry, but since he has a winning formula that make his books the most lucid and tangible explanations of difficult concepts in the Budo (martial ways) its a thoroughly enjoyable and informative read. Mr Lowry continues to make less obvious observations of concepts, ideas and techniques from the Budo and uses them as a tool to lead into the explanation of other ideas. On the way one learns such a lot of interesting and useful information that after a chapter I'm often left thinking about what I've just read and its applications to my practise of Budo and there aren't any other authors who make me do that! What I like about Mr Lowry's writings compared to most other authors in this field is that he never resorts to using vague language or mystic notions to hide a lack of understanding. He's always on the button and makes the esoteric accessible to all. Other authors could learn a lot from Mr Lowry.

I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 30 Sep 2013
A lot of information and you will learn so much. It doesn't matter if you're into karate, aikido, judo or any other Martial art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for any serious Budoka, 13 Sep 2012
I have now purchased 3 of Mr Lowrys books. This one "The essence of Budo" just like the others I have read is a simply brilliant read and an invaluable addition to my martial arts library. Mr Lowry explains the deep phylosophical values of Japanese Martial Arts in a sincere and infomative way that makes the complex concepts of Japanese Budo more understandable to a western reader. Newcomers to the world of Budo may not fully understand the messages translated so eloquently, but as a experienced martial artist you will find many of the chapters will reinforce and enhance your understanding and experience of Budo. Well done Mr Lowry

3.0 out of 5 stars not as good as moving toward stillness., 7 Jun 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book by Lowry (again), 28 May 2012
M. G. W. Howes (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm beginning to become a bit of a fan of our Mr. Lowry. I have several of his books and find them informative reading. That is not to say he is dry or too acedemic and you will find yourself nodding in agreement with some of his observations of karateka and karate sensei. I recommended this one to my students. 'Nuff said!