4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disdappointing

3.0 out of 5 stars A beginners book on contemplative photography
Published on 17 Aug 2012 by Peter J. Massingham

4.0 out of 5 stars A little bit disdappointing, 21 Sep 2012
Mary Thompson "Mary Thompson" (Cumbria U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Practice of Contemplative Photography: Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes (Paperback)
This book is well written and beautifully (and appropriately) illustrated. However, it is just on the side of 'simplistic', as against demonstrating 'simplicity', which is a little disappointing because the core philosophy of both life and of photography in particular is presented clearly. Many readers will find the practical exercises rather more stimulating and helpful than I did. With apologies to these two authors, who are without doubt wisely grounded in their Buddhist teaching, I would suggest to purchasers that they read the last two chapters first! The background material and overview is really interesting and stimulating, and provides an illuminating context for the main content. Even with these reservations, if pennies are not too scarce, I would recommend getting the book. It has much that is illuminating and enjoyable - and the photographs are splendid. For me, they brought many smiles of indefinable delight! In fact I am glad I have the book for the pictures, which speak for themselves - and that is really what this book is all about I think!

3.0 out of 5 stars A beginners book on contemplative photography, 17 Aug 2012
The book is well presented and beautifully printed. However, the review I read seemed to suggest it was a truly enlightening book on the theme. This is not the case unless you are a novice! I do not wish to sound disrespectful or superior minded, but do not by this if you are looking for real insights to how photography can be contemplative beyong the fairly obvious. You would do much better in buying John Szarkowski's 'Looking at Photographs'

1.0 out of 5 stars Contemplative, 2 Aug 2013
When reading this book I felt like it was requiring from me kind of a meditation attitude. It was easy to go through the pictures, but I wasn't able to finish the text. It's an easy reading, about something so simple that it can be extremely difficult - it's intuitive for those who are born with it, the photographer's eye. I think pictures speak better about it that than words. But maybe it's my fault and I wasn't able to grab the message: I'll give it a second chance.
After the second chance I gave this book, I finished (most of it) with a very frustrated feeling. It's a fusion book, fusion of meditation technic and theory with photography, wrapped with citations from classic photographers, to give it credibility. I finished with a very uncomfortable feeling, of something forced, fabricated, unnatural not at all pure and genuine as it announces itself to be. I felt it is like a tentative of brainwashing a photographer's mind by a Buddhist. Glad it wasn't a Jeova Witness...
Book went back to the shelf, maybe a third tentative might reveal a different self, I sincerely doubt it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A literal eye-opener!, 31 Jan 2012
This was bought as a present for a photographer friend, but I would have happily kept it for myself. (He likes it, too!) The inspiring photos are a perfect complement to the thoughtful and gently provocative text. It is impossible to leaf through the book without image after image arresting your attention, and you find yourself absorbed in a refreshing rumination on their simplicity and depth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I'd imagined, 4 July 2011
Apart from the photos, which one might assume are visually atractive and inspiring,
what I really like about this book is the written content.
I believe this is exactly what makes it book stand out.
It is not another coffee table album to enjoy while sipping coffee
(or green tea, for the zen-minded :)

Go for it, if you are (or consider yourself to be)
a visual artist looking for deeper layers of meaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide Awake, captured, 8 Jun 2011
AnnaB33 (London, England) - See all my reviews
Just occasionally one comes across an arresting spate of beauty that shocks. There are photographs here that do just that. Some transport me back to the heady raw wakefulness experienced after a first long retreat (pp. 117 & 174); another is arresting by virtue of its stunning classicism (p.153), another evokes contemplative peacefulness (p.182). I could go on.

It is refreshing to discover photos that awaken. A wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, 12 Oct 2014
Mr. G. Knight (London, England) - See all my reviews
An interesting book, but I'm not sure that reading it has improved my photography, or even had an influence on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly beautiful book, 21 Dec 2011
I bought this on a friend's recommendation and have now recommended it to two others! It is simply the most beautiful book. For me, it drew together strands of my post-working life adventure, linking my photography with my interest in mindfulness and yoga. Richly illustrated, its written content is non-technical and perfectly pitched for those who want to take photographs which capture the moment rather than the classically pretty or the very carefully engineered set-up. If you're thinking you might not want to spend that much .... by the time you've got it out of Mr Amazon's packaging, you'll know you have spent wisely!

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, 17 Jun 2011
This is an amazing book that could change the way you see the world. It will almost certainly make you think again about the way you photograph it! Buy it today!!!

The Practice of Contemplative Photography: Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes